What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The more nutrients the better?

A. Jones

Lets say im using Coco DTW. Im feeding 1,8EC and plants looking healthy,happy,showing no signs of deficiencies. Now my question is,is there any point in adding more nutrients? Would the plants preform better if they had more? Or would it be only wasting of ferts,or even worse,overfeeding?

Dog Star

Veteran
I dont grow with PH/PPM meter but i can tell you too much is not good even with
organics technique.. you saturate medium with too much nutes then starts another
problems like PH swing,N toxicity or any other element in excess is not good for
your plants...

some plants can take more and some less but if i grow with PPM meter i will
not go over 2 maybe 2.2 EC and that is also overkill on longer road..

A. Jones

I understand. So if everything is looking good there is no point in trying to make it "better" yes?

Dog Star

Veteran
Yes man... from too much love plants dieing.. its good to give them rather moderate
if we talk elements,think on NPK,secondary and micro...

while if you grow organics you can give them vitamins,specialy B complex larger quantity,mollasses or good organic honey also you can put a lot in amount,aminoacids they accept also very good and a beneficial bacteries...

with those organic stuff is hard to overreact if you love to feed your plants with
a lot of quality food.. but with NPK and other elements go easyier.. cause
with them problems emerge fast and then you need to flush excess nutrients
and just gives you extra job and you loose your nutes whithouth good plan.

S

sourpuss

Why change when plants r happy healthy. Most growers struggle to achieve that alone.

A. Jones

Yeah it makes sense.Thank you. Pure theoretically though,one thing that im still kinda confused about is the range. If lets say plants are doing fine at 1,5EC,but they can maintain at 2EC without any overfertilization problems,would the outcome be any different? Like higher yield,better final product with more nutrients being available?

Dog Star

Veteran
No... maybe more will effect enviroment,if you have lower temps your final product
will be of better quality,better air circulation means faster rates of transpiration
and using this same nutes in building a plant in faster way...

but too much nutes are not crucial for building a strong plants...

organic growers have totaly different concept cause they dont count PPMs and
aloud a plant that she feeds itself in a manner and the rythm of how plant wish
to feed self... or in a rythm how fast beneficial bacteries create food for plant..
how much soil is active,amount of light,transpiration,humidity...

but in all this nutes are secondary while with NPK technique you need to have some
certain values,meters,and you feed your plant with PPMs.. cold scientificaly
compared to organic way where you feed your plant in a way nature does..

so you aloud nature cause she knows best and hole process is more relaxed
as you never measure anything ever...

then after you try organic way you will understand how much your plant can take
nutes... or maybe this will be of no interest for you as then you will understand
that this thread will never give you precise answers and that precise answer
is irrevelant for knowing to grow plants supergood..

only your experience and to try different tech to learn more about plant growing..
to addapt your enviroment and to grow closest to naturaly will give you best yields
and best quality bud out..

IMO... best quality never comes from NPK salts and hydro... you could hit great yield
tough but quality will be lower than with organic living soil and organic goodies
decomposed inside same soil and growed bud in this kind of soil mix..

Atleast thats mine experiences..

RB56

Veteran
It's like a lot of things - there's a minimum need. Go too far beyond that and the substance becomes toxic. You could eat a teaspoon of salt every day and probably not have any issues. Eat a pound a day and you'll be in trouble pretty quickly.

It gets a little confusing because in DTW coir, the best growth is achieved with multiple, low EC dosings per lights on. I water 5 times per lights on at about .8 EC. Results are drastically better than I got feeding twice at 1.2.

Farm Hero

If your plants are doing great, leave em alone.... this is the time you should be relaxing and waiting for issues to appear.

The best thing you can do is keep an eye on the tips of the leaves, they really tell you a bunch about the plants happiness. As everyone says, the leaves should be reaching for the sky as if praying. This is really the peak of happiness and is usually most noticeable when the lights first come on.

It is common for plants to slightly droop at the end of the day, but curled or burnt leaf tips can be a sign of an issue in need of a fix.

IME, once you curl a leaf it ain't never gonna be straight again, so keep those leaves happy.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Start with "almost enough" nutrient/amendment strength. As you increase the strength the plant will be healthier and grow faster, up to a point. When you reach the optimum, adding more doesn't increase vigor and even though the plant "looks" the same, the quality will be much less than if you'd left it at optimum vigor. Adding even more will begin to slow the plant down and cause toxicities and possible pH related lockouts.

Cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator. Excesses in the root zone will definitely degrade quality. ;)

L

larry badiner

i went from using just floranova veg/bloom to using floranova/maxibloom/big bud/silica and i think b52. the size of my plants were noticably bigger, im flushing them with an flawless finish and again, made them bigger. i dont know about the quality of the smoke yet

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
i went from using just floranova veg/bloom to using floranova/maxibloom/big bud/silica and i think b52. the size of my plants were noticably bigger, im flushing them with an flawless finish and again, made them bigger. i dont know about the quality of the smoke yet
Bigger isn't better. Larger quantities of the same quality, is better. ;) Here's hoping your quality is as good or better than last time. ;)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All about balance. If plants are healthy, keep doing what you are doing. They have a way of telling us what's needed.

L

larry badiner

just cut my plants down, the buds are huge. it might be the lights but these buds are twice as big as the last time i grew the same cut. the last crop was under leds and the bud pictured below were under 1000w hid hps and 3x 300w led grow lights.