What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Journey into Grafting

I'm along for the ride on this! I've been meaning to get around to doing some grafting myself. This will be very useful for dealing with legal plant counts and keeping many stains/cuts on hand. Only thing I would do in addition is wire tie label tags to branches to identify each branch.

mushroombrew

Veteran
@Bombbudpuffer Yes I could go without the wire. But its hard to wrap small structures vs woody fruit trees etc. I think I will wrap first and wire for support after.
Thanks for the suggestion!

@ Frozenfire. The Base plamt is labled. And I labled the bags. But yes once the bag comes off they will get tags.

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Check that link. I use plastic wrap. It's really pliable and holds the scions in place even on material that isn't woody.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Huge success difference once I figured out to match the stems to each other size wise and try to cut both segments in one cut. So put plants together and make one cut. That way the Scion is matched to the rootstock perfectly. The closer you get to even size stems and perfect cuts, the more survival rate you get.

Another must have in my opinion are grafting clips. The spring loaded clips. You don't need wire, plastic, nothing but the clips.

Keep plant is low light, warm, and humid area and voila.

picture.php

mushroombrew

Veteran
Huge success difference once I figured out to match the stems to each other size wise and try to cut both segments in one cut. So put plants together and make one cut. That way the Scion is matched to the rootstock perfectly. The closer you get to even size stems and perfect cuts, the more survival rate you get.

Another must have in my opinion are grafting clips. The spring loaded clips. You don't need wire, plastic, nothing but the clips.

Keep plant is low light, warm, and humid area and voila.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67044&pictureid=1791084&thumb=1]View Image[/url] View Image

Holy shit grafting clips! I will have to crawl out of my grow room once in a while and smell the roses!!

So no wrap? What stops them from desiccating?

Do you keep them in a dome?

mushroombrew

Veteran
The little guy looks fine this morning. I should have defoliated the others... Oh well.
I will find the perfect size soon!

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Yes I use a recovery chamber that is very warm humid. So it is like a dome I guess.

Get the spring loaded clips, they rock. Nope no plastic or anything. Just keep environment correct. Or dome, however you are rollin'.

Cool that last one seems to have taken!

mushroombrew

Veteran
The first few are wilted but not dead. The last little guy is happy so far.

I am interested in grafting some slow indicas onto big rootball sativas. I want to see if I can speed up those slow ass veggers.

PDX Dopesmoker

The first few are wilted but not dead. The last little guy is happy so far.

I am interested in grafting some slow indicas onto big rootball sativas. I want to see if I can speed up those slow ass veggers.

Seems like there are a bunch of potentially valuable uses for grafting, if you want to compete strains or phenos against each other having them all grafted onto the same plant and growing in the same dirt probably eliminates a lot of variables.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Seems like there are a bunch of potentially valuable uses for grafting, if you want to compete strains or phenos against each other having them all grafted onto the same plant and growing in the same dirt probably eliminates a lot of variables.

I think it will depend on what the growth limiting factor is for a slow vegger. If it is a slow growing root ball then putting it on top of a fast sativa will help.

It's really hard to say. Getting clones off Road Warrior is tough. Just such tight squat growth. Hoping to see a change.

I am having fun trying. I can quite easily visualize a whole set of clones being topped and having new stock put on top.

I like the idea of testing several phenos on one base. It would definitely be the same "environment"

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Not really. Grew the same, each finished around the same amount of time and definitely tasted the same as they did alone. I'm very interested to see how your indica on sativa rootstock performs.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Ask and you shall receive!

Good timing just took this pic!

Many of the others did not grab. This is the thickest one.

I have a huge Gelato#33 mom that I am over. Just not loud enough for my stable. But I think the thicker grafts may work better. So she is going to get a crapload of cuts grafted onto her! Will let you know how it goes.