What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New grow room questions

I am currently in tents in my detached garage. I am going to building my room in my garage. 23x9x7.5ft high. I'm trying to figure out if I wqnt my flower room or veg room bigger or just split right in half. I am only wanting to flower 6 to 8 plants at a time and veg/mothers/clones for the rest. [24 plants max] I currently have 2 600watt hps lights for flower [was debating on getting a 3rd to help disperse light better] along with 3 ho t5s [4ft, 8bulb]... I'd like to have room to move around and work in the rooms that's why I'm not trying to just cram plants in it. Also, should I wire up its own subpanel? My current panel keeps popping with my current setup of 2x600s, portable ac and a 8inch fan in summer. The current panel has lots of breakers but i dont think many are being used? Any thoughts/ questions ect be awesome thanks.

Granger2

Veteran
You'll need a lot less space for Veg than for bloom. You'll also need a small space for seedlings/cuttings. Also, 2 600w lamps for that much space is WAY under lit. The first thing is to make sure your wiring/power is MORE than adequate. Good luck. -granger

I'm only running 600s in my 4x8 so I wanted to keep that sort of setup in a bigger room. [Like I said I only want to flower 8max. 4week veg then flip. Don't think I can get away with 2 600s for the time being? Or no? As for electrical I'll be doing a full upgrade prior to building room.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Depends on the amount of time you veg and anticipated "flower stretch". I am perpetual gardener (custom peat grow medium) and harvest every 8 days or so.

In my garden, it takes 56 days to veg plants #5 containers (plus a few weeks in cups and 1/2 gallon containers) that--when harvested each plant has a full girth with 3-4' stalks capable of generating 1/4lb of manicured buds per plant. Flowering time for me is about 70-77 days.

56 + 77 = 133 days total (or 57% flower time). Based on footprint requirements (flowering plants need more elbow room than vegging plants) I calculated maximum capacities for both and designed my flower environment (sealed room/environment within my garage) that is about 30% or so larger than my veg.

I am multi/full spectrum in flower. First few weeks 600w MH (7.2k Kelvin--high UVB) then 1000w HPS (2k Kelvin--very low UVB), and last few weeks before harvest, 600w (10k Kelvin--greater UVB).

So don't toss your 600w gear--besides, comparing lumens/par/watts of 2 setups: pair of 600 watt side by side or a single 1K watt--the pair of 600 watts will almost always be greater. Height will be another factor to consider--distance between bulb and plant canopy when light fixture is positioned to be at the highest height.

toohighmf

Veteran
I would do 70/30 bloom to veg space wise run 4 6’s in that bloom room. Veg your 8 plants an extra week or 2. Might as well grow as much as you can. Never know what problems you may encounter and might need some extra nuggage to get you through til the next.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
12'x9' bloom, w 2, 600s maybe on light mover bare bulbs..
id say 4'x4' for clones, vegging and seedlings w T5s. a 400w HID or 300w led would be nice for preparing the next plants to go into the bloom rotation. but I'm spending your money.. the rest off the space for reservoirs, ballasts ??? lung room set up... my seedlings and clones reside in a 3'X1.5'X2'H space with a single (14w) 2' cool white T5 that is on 24/7... when it dies (which may be never) I have a small LED... from there they go into the veg space (3'X1.5X4'H) with 4, 14w T5s, red and white bulbs... and my veg to bloom room is 8'X8'X8'... I took an old tent and used its top and sides for the reflective material on the walls.. or panda film works fine.. GL..

I said way more than I started out with on my mind.. vape is too close!:biggrin:

samiam

This a 12x15 veg room with 18 plants topped many times 8 weeks into veg. With 4 600 watts MH in the corners and 2 400 HPS n the center's.

I can take them to 9 weeks veg than I run out of room.

Attachments

• IMG_20171004_083604895.jpg
    IMG_20171004_083604895.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 10

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
This a 12x15 veg room with 18 plants topped many times 8 weeks into veg. With 4 600 watts MH in the corners and 2 400 HPS n the center's.

I can take them to 9 weeks veg than I run out of room.
sorry, i think small(ish):tiphat:

Thanks all... I'll go through reading the setups and advice yall laid out. Haven't been ignoring yall, head a death in the family. . I like the 600 watt hids over 1ks... less heat, better efficiency. Think I'll add a few wall mounted cheaper LED setups to help add spectrum. As for cloning, idk how much cloning ill be doing but i waI just going to invest in a metal rack type thing and just do a few clones at a time and throw a 2 or 4ft 2bulb HO on the rack above for lighting. Then I want to be able to mother around 3 plants at the least [any advice on that?, best medium to keep mothers in?] I'm vegging and flowering in coco.

getpulse.co

The general rule of thumb is whatever sqft you are working with. Dedicate 2/3's to flowering and 1/3 for your cloning, veg, nute, storage, worktable area. That said, every grow room has it's unique challenges, yours being plant count. This restriction may require a bit more veg area than typical.

I started to map out your room in SketchUp but after reading the thread again, it doesn't seem like you want to use the full 23x9 space. So the question is, how many sqft are dedicated to the grow area within this 23x9 garage space?

Also, will you be opening the garage door and need something to block visibility of the grow areas when you do?

The general rule of thumb is whatever sqft you are working with. Dedicate 2/3's to flowering and 1/3 for your cloning, veg, nute, storage, worktable area. That said, every grow room has it's unique challenges, yours being plant count. This restriction may require a bit more veg area than typical.

I started to map out your room in SketchUp but after reading the thread again, it doesn't seem like you want to use the full 23x9 space. So the question is, how many sqft are dedicated to the grow area within this 23x9 garage space?

Also, will you be opening the garage door and need something to block visibility of the grow areas when you do?

The room will be built in the garage. I'll be using the full 9ft9ftx23 space. Just issues figuring out how much space for each. I only want to flower up to no more than 8 plants at a time in 5 gallon pots. The room won't be viable when garage is open 1. I'm on a dead end and 2. The wall will match the outer walls the garage has currently

Latest posts

Latest posts