What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please help identify this bug

Hi,

Can someone please identify this pest.

Im rolling with coco in smartpots. I have about 1 1/2" of GnatNix on top of the coco to discourage my pet fungas gnats.

These bugs are tiny. Id say 1/2mm long. This photo was taken at 50x magnification.

I dont see any on the leaves. I think i caught them early. However, they infested an adjacent table within about two days.

I first discovered them (thousands) floating on the rez water.

Now that im lookin, i see they crawl on the surface of the media. They don't seem to go deep in the coco.

I started to add 5ml/gal of SM-90 to the reservoirs. That does slow them down. However, It is too soon to say if i can knock them down like that.

Please help a brother out.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Pics kinda unfocused, but yeah, doesn't look like any of the plant pests I know about. Closer to a tick, as buzz said.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Unless those front 2 things are legs and not proboscis, it's short 2 legs to be a tick. It's also hella tiny for a tick, it would have to be the larva not the grown tick. If it's some sort of mite you can check out http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Mites and they might be able to narrow it down a little more. Good luck though man, if you are seeing thousands of them I sincerely hope they are not ticks.

Unless those front 2 things are legs and not proboscis, it's short 2 legs to be a tick. It's also hella tiny for a tick, it would have to be the larva not the grown tick. If it's some sort of mite you can check out https://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Mites and they might be able to narrow it down a little more. Good luck though man, if you are seeing thousands of them I sincerely hope they are not ticks.

Thanks Agent.

I could not get the discoverlife website to come up. But, that sent me to similar sites liiking for images.

Im still looking.

Thanks brother.

8 legs - ascarids [spiders, ticks, mites]
6 legs - insects [aphids, etc.]

Thanks Granger.

That is a great lead.

I had in the back of my mind that these are a spider mite type of thing that has not had enough time to cause damage yet.

TBH... i still dont know. I dont know if this is a 6 leg or an 8 leg. Are those two fromt things legs?

These things are kind of hard to study as they are fast and hard to study and photograph under the microscope. As soon as I get them under the microscope, they bolt. I think they run from the strong light on the scope.

Id be perfectly OK if i could just kill them off and never know what they are.

I bought a gallon of SM-90 and a quart of Azamax to start the fight. So far, the SM-90 in the rez seems to slow them down.

Thanks again.

Pics kinda unfocused, but yeah, doesn't look like any of the plant pests I know about. Closer to a tick, as buzz said.

Thanks for checking in.

That was the best picture from about 20. It was tough to photo. They are fast and tiny. Biggest one about 1/2mm me thinks.

It took two people to get this pic LOL...one to hold the camera, and one to move the slide under the microscope to keep the bug in the field.

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
root drench with 5 ml azamax + 5 ml Bonide pyrethrin garden insect spray.
the bonide is oily and wants to float ..agitate the mixture very Well before each scoop or pour.
the aza is i502 approved the bonide is not ..this will shut down root zone borne insects pretty good
..good luck

M

metsäkana

not expert mite indentifier but looks hypoaspis miles beneficial predatory soil mite

http://bioactiveherps.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Hypoaspis-Mites.png
Hypoaspis-Mites.png

M

metsäkana

i buy those for euros. so plz dont kill them :D

pet fungus gnats? you feed pet fungus gnats to some reptile?

lmao people TICK :DD maybe you never seen one hahaha
i had one in my leg

did not look anything like that

cultivationgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Hypoaspis.jpg

hypoaspis acuileifer is almost the same, difference betweed miles and acuileifer is acuileifer feeds on deeper soil miles top. what i heard

Last edited:
M

metsäkana

hahaha :D hypoaspis should eat them away, dry your soil between waterings.. sand layer could help a little at top but ''gnats off'' or diatomaceous earth you can use to controll them. yellow sticky traps also help to controll them

i see couple start of everygrow, i think they come with maybe guano or from outside