What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My new shed

Tentme

Finally moved into a house again and this one has a shed. It is 18'x8'x7'. Not insulated but does have electric. Water close by.

I'm starting to make a supplies list for over hauling the shed to make it an 8x8x7 grow area and the rest made into storage. I need to temp control it as I live in south Florida.

I've always grown in tents but I'm not sure how I should do this one.

I have a CO2 burner and controller I want to put to work. Ideally I'm thinking about 2 4x4 grown tents next to each other then I'll get a 4x4 for veg and clones. I've never ran CO2 before and not sure how I should maximize this.

Tentme

I would like to do a 30/30 rotation and harvest once a month. If I'm using a CO2 burner should I do one 4x8 tent or just build it in an enclosed room for that size.

I thought about having all the area flower/veg areas share the same air thus using CO2 in veg stage. Thoughts?

Also, the strains I have gotten (from great Lakes genetics) are BOG SourBubble, gorilla bubble, and girls scout cookies forum cut.. I also have access to some Tahoe OG and Hindu Kush clones. The only problem is the clones were bag seed originally. My buddy has already ran both and they are both thumpers.

I have a 600w quantum ballast, 400w hps, 400w t5 bad boy and a couple hoods, fans and filters. Two cheap tents, titanium is brand I think CO2 burner and controller currently. I really would like to go to a couple 600 or 750w LEDs. Not 100% sure which wattage LEDs I should go with for that area. My height will be limited to about 6'4".

Speed of green

There is a good build thread somewhere in the LED section, using cree Led's 50w per sqft.

seen some killer grows under those. Might be worth a look if you're handy with electrical stuff.

Floridian

Veteran
Personally I don't know much about grow tents except from what I've read and it always seems more negative than positive.Unless you are trying to hide things from someone,I would ditch the tent idea.You have a nice space in there for a veg and flower room.I used my veg room 18/6 as a clone room also,I just hung a couple 4 ft flourescents and after a couple weeks moved them to the MH HID's.You need to separate the two rooms and just use the co2 in flower.I also used a burner in flower and I'm also down here,most thought I was nuts lol.If you can keep your flower room at 80-85F at 1200 PPM co2 in the flower room you've got it made.My biggest problem doing a perpetual was the vegging plants developing too fast,I needed 60 days or so to remove the flowered plants and make room for the severely matured vegging plants lol.The last thing you would need in veg doing a perpetual is co2 enrichment speeding those bitches up!You just need to build in such a way as the light from veg won't spill over into the flower room

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I'm with Floridian , kinda, lol. I use tents for veg and an open room for flowering. With c02 enrichment your gonna need A.C. I myself would build a 8x8 flower room and use the other 10' for a veg area. In the flower room, have two 4x4 sections. Doing that would allow you to harvest every 30-35 days.

Once you get into a rotation and know your plants. You will know when to take clones for the next round and approx. how much time they will have to veg. But getting your environment right and temps steady is the most important thing to worry about. With CO2 exchanging the air in the room isn't the best choice. That's why I said your gonna need A.C. .

You can run air from outside thru the lights and out of the room, and that will help some. But your still gonna need A.C.. I know from experience. I used to run a 5k sealed room with A.C. . If you don't use the CO2, you can exchange the air in the room. Being where your at, your gonna need to move a lot of air to keep temps where they need to be.

Floridian

Veteran
Yea you're going to need AC for sure.I use a 12,500 in an 8 by 8 flower room to keep things kosher.Its important to use an AC that bottoms at out 60 degrees,most bottom out at 65 degrees.That five degrees can be important when you're on the edge so to speak.I'm a believer in taking cuts in veg,and did so for awhile I want good "veg" cuts without even a hint of pistils.After while I had to settle with taking my cuts at around 10 days 12/12,definately no longer than 15!I really needed those extra days to keep from having my vegging cuts mature too fast and just be too tall for the flower room,even with FIM topping and everything else you could think of.It's OK though to take cuts after 12/2 although it went against the grain so to say at first.Any longer than 2 weeks though and with many pheno's you're looking at a reveg situation,and funk that lol

Tentme

Thanks for the responses. I will be getting a mini split for the ac. Only reason I thought of the tents is because I'm super pariod someone's going to see with a heat camera.

I went through this phase with my last grow but got over it lol.

I would love to use the entire shed for my area and maybe will once the law changes but for now I need the storage part for all my tools and wife's junk I mean decorations...

I plan on making a two tier veg area with my t5 bad boy on bottom for veg and some cheap cfls up top for clones and cupped plants. Once they go into 1.5 gal they'll go down below for veg.

I do like taking clones in veg and will tend to grow my plants with a couple longer tops that I cut for the next round. Call it the march of the clones ��

Tentme

Oh and the empty 4x4 space is for me for my work space. So the total 8x8 space will be 4x8 for flower, 4x4 for veg/clones and 4x4 work space.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Insulate the shit out of the walls and ceiling. Wanted to say that yesterday and forgot. I used I think it was R-19 for my roof and r-13 for the walls. Then I used reflectix insulation over top of that. Doing it that way, I have snow that stays on the roof without melting in the winter.

Tentme

Thanks for the insight in the insulation. I enlisted the help of a family member who is a contractor to ensure I have thought if everything I do it correctly.

Hoping to start the cleaning out of the shed next weekend with the demo/reconstruction of Tentme's Shed �� Happening the following week.

We just had a final smoke report on my buddies grow and the Hindu turned out great but didn't thump you quite as hard as the Tahoe so it got culled out for the second round.

Tentme

I've gotten the shed completely cleared out and floor bleached and scrubbed. We are sealing the roof,p and redoing exterior panels this weekend. Hopefully the spray foam guy will be here next week.

We may get more done this weekend but I need to get it to a point that I can finish it myself. I'll try to post a video of it so far.

I've decided to go with the suggestions and ditch the tents and just build separate rooms.

I need to get this finished as I will have clones ready for me soon.

Tentme

Finally some shed pics

Finally some shed pics

It's been slow going but it's been hot and busy. Now the temps are starting to drop. Here are some pictures of my progress. I will need some ideas as well.

Shed pictures

Stage 1 - original shots of shed

Attachments

• IMG_2936.jpg
    IMG_2936.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2939.jpg
    IMG_2939.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 10

Tentme

Stage 2 - remove shelves and cabinets. Scrub floor and seal roof.

Attachments

• IMG_3367.jpg
    IMG_3367.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 9

Tentme

Stage 3 - Remove rotten lower wood and replace. Seal lower plate inside and out. Spray foam all open spaces.

Attachments

• IMG_3429.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3428.jpg
    IMG_3428.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3432.jpg
    IMG_3432.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3424.jpg
    IMG_3424.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3426.jpg
    IMG_3426.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 8

Tentme

Stage 5 - adding a wall and two doors.

Attachments

• IMG_3751.jpg
    IMG_3751.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3753.jpg
    IMG_3753.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Tentme

Now the room was suppose to be 8x8x7. As we were doing some work I went inside and smoked then when I came out my helper already had the base plate in and the wall up. Now, once I get drywall up my interior is going to be more like 8'x7'6"x7'.

I have to do the wiring and spray foam next. I need to figure out my grow and veg area. Also, where to put my AC and how should I do my CO2.

Was planning on having a 4x8 flower room with two lights. Then a 4x4 veg area with an upper level for clones and seedlings. That would leave me with a 4x4 work space. It sounded great and all but not sure how I can make it all work.

The idea is to have the work area so I have a spot to do my trimming as well. I want the entire area sealed with no exhaust at all.

Tentme

Also, I had to split the shed so I can have room for lawn mower, bikes and all my wife's totes of shit.

There will be keyed code for both doors. Then there is the only sliding barn door that will be put back up. Then it'll even look like an old shed still once I finish the outside.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how much electricity I need. I will be running ac, 2x600w hps, 400w t5 bad boy, 2-4 bulb t5, dehumidifier, some inline fans and then a couple lights around the shop area.

My helper asked how many watts I need.... help please

Last edited:

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
If you have the space in your breaker panel, I would use 3,20A breakers and 12 gauge wire. One breaker for the 600's and badboy, one for the other t5's and fans, and the last for the dehuey and any extra equipment your gonna have. Always better to have more power available than you need. And also good idea to not overwork the circuits , and only run them at 80% capacity. Hence why I say 3 breakers.

Latest posts

Latest posts