You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Blah's First Ppk

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Blah's First Ppk Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2016, 10:04 PM #1
Mr Blah

Mr Blah has a spectacular aura aboutMr Blah has a spectacular aura aboutMr Blah has a spectacular aura aboutMr Blah has a spectacular aura aboutMr Blah has a spectacular aura about
Blah's First Ppk

Well, I have clogged up enough of other Ppk threads and it is time for mine. Sorry guys.

I first started this 4 tent venture with all the intent of doing a Under Current like I have in the lower part of my garage on concrete. I knew I could not have any leaks as it would eventually go through the floor and start a fire with all the wiring below it. I know Ppk is also water related but I feel that it is a stronger system with less to fail, where failure is not an option.

My first attempt was with 1.5" uniseals in 5 gal buckets..not good bad leaks. So I bought some square buckets and was going to continue...Got researching and wanted to try something new. PPK was it.

This thread is a learning experiment for me in the Ppk world. So bare with me as I do not know everything about this system and will be learning along the way with peoples input that have all ready benefited from this unique set up.

I am starting with 3.5 gal round buckets with lids as a base and 3.5gal buckets as the tops also. They are all on order and am moving on the next things to buy and order.

I found some TurfaceMVP but not sure if this is a good deal?
https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/tu...u49hoCK6bw_wcB

Also the rubber hose at HD is not GoodYear which still is a rubber hose.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Continent...8074/100676339

The tailpipe for the top bucket that I could find was this;
Is it a good fit?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...-205153885-_-N

I will post pictures of progress as soon as the buckets come in and the other stuff gets ordered.

I all ready have the 3-6.5'square tents up to have 4 ea Ppk sites and 1-4'x8' veg tent up to house 12 vegging plants. I would like to just move the top bucket and tailpiece into another bottom bucket in flower tent.
Mr Blah is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:42 PM #2
RamCTD1027

RamCTD1027 will become famous soon enough
Welcome. Best of luck with your first ppk. The concept is impressive and so too are the growth rates you will experience.

I buy my turface locally at John Deere Landscape stores. They want $24.00 a bag for off the street and $12.00 a bag with a contractor discount.

The continental hose is the same as the good year hose. They ate both made of the same rubber. My whole room is plumbed with continental hose with zero leaks for over a year (knock wood).

Hopefully someone else with chime in about that tailpiece as I've never used it.

Everyone is pretty helpful in the ppk community. If you have more questions, ask away
RamCTD1027 is offline Quote

Old 04-11-2016, 06:22 AM #3
Mr Blah

Mr Blah has a spectacular aura aboutMr Blah has a spectacular aura aboutMr Blah has a spectacular aura aboutMr Blah has a spectacular aura aboutMr Blah has a spectacular aura about
Thanks Ram, I don't have a John Deere landscaping place around here in Maine so I am going to call around tomorrow to a few local landscaping places. If not $45 is not bad for 50# free delivery. I will cut it with chunky perlite 50%.
Does anyone know how many 50# bags it will take to fill 24 3.5gal buckets 7" high roughly a little more than half the bucket?
Mr Blah is offline Quote

Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM #4
delta9nxs
No Jive Productions

delta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1...9800/205154040

this is the tailpiece you want. you will need a 1.5" hole saw.

a 3.5 gal bucket filled to 7" is 2.5 gals.

the turface bags are 1.5 cu ft and so is approx 11.25 gals so you can fill approx 4.5 buckets to the 2.5 gal level. this is unscreened and uncut.

the big bags of chunky perlite are 4 cu ft so if you were to mix 3 bags of turface with one bag of perlite you would be about right.

you would end up with approx 8 cu ft of material so about 60 gals which should be enough for approx 24 containers.

it won't come out exactly as you might think because of the way the particles of each fit together but it will be real close.

i would not screen the turface but wash the hell out of it separately from the perlite. a big tub and a hoe are useful.

the perlite is best cleaned by floating it in a large tub and letting the fines go to the bottom. then use a net to scoop out the floating perlite.

the perlite will also need a 1000 ppm or ec 2 bath at the same time you clean it.

wash them separately and then mix them wet.

you will need plastic vent screen from lowes for the end of the tailpieces. it has a larger mesh than window screen and doesn't clog as readily.

https://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3087579

i would use a 2.5" hole saw for the lid of the bottom container.

i attach the vent screen with a nylon cable tie about 3/8" from the end and then run a bead of glue around the top of the cable tie. it will never slip off.

amazing goop plumbers edition is the glue. it can also be used to glue the tailpiece to the bucket if you like.
delta9nxs is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:51 AM #5
gardener60

gardener60 will become famous soon enoughgardener60 will become famous soon enough
Mr. Blah, best of luck with you first PPK. Give it hell.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:51 PM #6
Mr Blah

Thank you Gardener60, this is a new style of growing with me especially the formula for feeding. I have been using a GH formula for about 6yrs now with no hickups. Large UC systems.

Hope this bitch puts out.

Big D....What can I say, you da man. If I had your knowledge of growing I would write a book....and retire....maybe you all ready did?
I will document my build so we as Ppk'ers can have an up to date build that others can duplicate using 3.5gal buckets.
Mr Blah is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:24 PM #7
Mr Blah

OK...I finally got my 3.5gal bucket and have taken all the handles out. Next I drilled a 2.5" hole through the bottom buckets cover to allow the tailpiece to slide in with a little wiggle room. (I've done just one, so if this is not what I am suppose to do please voice up)
I then took the top bucket (also 3.5gal) and drilled a 1.5" hole in the center of the bottom and inserted the 1.5"x6" tailpiece.

Couple questions; Do I drill any drain holes in the bottom of the top bucket or in the tailpiece?
IF not I will install the screen on the bottom of the tailpiece and proceed to the next step.
More to come.
Mr Blah is offline Quote

Old 05-02-2016, 11:46 PM #8
McKush
Éirinn go Brách

McKush is a name known to allMcKush is a name known to allMcKush is a name known to allMcKush is a name known to allMcKush is a name known to allMcKush is a name known to allMcKush is a name known to allMcKush is a name known to allMcKush is a name known to allMcKush is a name known to allMcKush is a name known to all
I can't help ya with 3.5gals Senor So So.

Best of luck on your build, bookmarked ya when you first posted and only now subbin.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
McKush is offline Quote

Old 05-11-2016, 07:15 PM #9
Mr Blah

Anyone know if you can just put a zip tie or a pipe clamp on the bottom of the tail pipe to hold screen on?

And do side holes in the tailpipe recommended? Or do I add those in if needed?
Mr Blah is offline Quote

Old 05-13-2016, 07:59 AM #10
delta9nxs
No Jive Productions

delta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to beholddelta9nxs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

hose clamps will deform the plastic, making it out of round. just use a single zip tie about 3/8" from the end to hold the screen on but run a bead of the previously mentioned glue around the end of the tube over the screen between the zip tie and the end, more or less glueing both the zip tie and the screen in place. this will prevent the screen from coming off in the middle of a grow.
delta9nxs is offline Quote