Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > USA Cannabis Scene: State By State > Michigan > CORPORATIZING CANNABIS PRODUCTION IN MICHIGAN

Thread Title Search
CORPORATIZING CANNABIS PRODUCTION IN MICHIGAN Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2017, 05:31 PM #1
shaggyballs

shaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant future
CORPORATIZING CANNABIS PRODUCTION IN MICHIGAN

Here come the monster monopoly.
Tweed is huge and poised to take over the world Cannabis market.
By the way Tweed runs Prairie Plant Systems (PPS) and is the parent company for many many others too, like Michigan-based subsidiary SubTerra!

Michigan republicans are fighting to get marijuana reclassified as a schedule 2 drug and distributed by pharmacies. A special committee has already passed a bill for a Senate vote. It outlines a new system for distributing medical cannabis to run parallel to the current one. This new process could not be implemented unless the federal government reclassified marijuana, but that possibility is beginning to look conceivable. Behind the push to centralize marijuana production is Prairie Plant Systems (PPS), a Canadian based horticulture company. If the bill is passed and implemented, it is possible that PPS would become the exclusive provider of pharmaceutical grade cannabis in Michigan.

Source
https://komornlaw.com/corporatizing-c...n-in-michigan/

At stake are millions of dollars in newfound revenue for an emerging big-business enterprise, well positioned to deal with the complex tangle of cultivation, processing, distribution, and finance being developed to regulate marijuana in Michigan.

The state last month passed legislation allowing deep pocketed entrepreneurs to grow up to 1,500 marijuana plants at a time. Previously, growers were limited to just 72 plants.

“I think in some aspects it will be certainly easier for people who are better financed to find the real estate, do the build-outs, qualify for the regulatory systems and obtain the licenses,” said Robin Schneider, legislative director for the National Patient Rights Association. “I think they’ll have more opportunity.”

Some in the fledgling marijuana industry see a future that parallels the way Michigan regulates alcohol, with a few big companies controlling sales and distribution throughout the state. Republican State Sen. Rick Jones of Grand Ledge helped push the legislation through the Senate. Some opponents of the legislation have accused him of buckling to political cash interests. He denied that “approximately $20,000” in campaign donations had any impact on his work. Yet opponents indicate those donations paved the way for the legislation to favor big business interests. Jones denies this.

The state has over a year to establish regulations for issuing licenses for three tiers of marijuana grow operations — 500- plant, 1,000-plant and 1,500-plant operations — secure transporters, labs to test it, processing centers and dispensaries. The cost of those licenses will be established along with the regulations, but there is one limit in the new law: The state can’t charge more than $10,000 for a 500-plant grow operation license. Local governments can’t charge more than $5,000 for a local license.

Lansing, which is hammering out its own licensing and regulation rules, also seems to be tipping the pot industry towards big business interests.

The ordinance under consideration would impose a fee for a licensed operation at $3,000. On top of that, the ordinance would require that operators prove to city officials that they have $25,000 in liquid assets. The state legislation also requires that applicants prove they have the financial wherewithal to succeed. What that proof might look like will be up to the state to determine.

The result of both the state and Lansing laws would be the creation of a two-tier growing system. Large growers would be the only legal suppliers to the dispensaries, and the small growers — the caregivers who now provide marijuana to up to five patients — will be cut off from the distribution system. The seed to sale tracking system established by state law will assure that small growers will be unable to feed their excess, or overage, into the dispensary system.

Jones said caregivers should surrender their caregiver cards and line up for licensing of up to 500-plant operations, “so they can make some real money.”

With such high financial buy-ins, caregivers are unlikely to have access to such licensing provisions, or a way to dispose of excess product.

Corporate interests put ahead of patient’s rights
Not everyone has enthusiasm for Kahn’s legislation, including the Michigan chapter of the medical marijuana advocacy group Americans for Safe Access.

Speaking with the Associated Press, Rick Thompson, spokesman for the ASA’s Michigan chapter, said the group fears that passage of legislation such as Senate Bill 660 may force medical marijuana patients in the future to buy their medicine and not grow it themselves.

“If you’re able to grow in your basement there’s no reason to go to Walmart,” Thompson said. “You have to eliminate home-based competition in order to get a large gross to be financially solvent….That’s not what we voted for in 2008.”

Charmie Gholson, founder of Michigan Moms United, which fights for legal protections for medical marijuana users, agreed, saying “We need to grow our own medicine.” And adding, “I’m not sure why a Canadian corporation can come in and try to buy our Legislature.”

Other critics of the bill point to recent efforts to “corporatize” marijuana and point out that Prairie Plant Systems Inc., which has been the sole medical marijuana supplier in Canada for the past 13 years, has lobbied in favor of the legislation, with the help of Chuck Perricone, former Speaker of the House, who now represents Prairie Plant Systems.

With the most-recent legislation in Michigan, marijuana legalization advocates continue to be suspicious that this legislation is nothing more than a get-rich scheme for big corporations, including Big Pharma, hidden behind lawmakers concerns about the safety of homegrown marijuana
Ins and outs of Pythium
OVERGROW FAQ

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
shaggyballs is online now Quote

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 AM #2
Hookah79

Hookah79 will become famous soon enough
It's bullshit what's happening in the mitten.How can you reclassify it in 1 state when it's scheduled 1 thru the entire country?Plus since the US is part of the United Nations wouldn't it be illegal to reclassify it to schedule 2?

Cooperate greed is taking over,and i hope that the patients can put up a fight.It's not gonna look any better if that sherrif gets elected to be the state governer,i hear he has a hard on for homegrows.
Hookah79 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:13 PM #3
WaxyTaxi
Baja Farms

WaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivor
WaxyTaxi is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:21 PM #4
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivor
Quote:
The seed to sale tracking system established by state law will assure that small growers will be unable to feed their excess, or overage, into the dispensary system.
This doesnt stop weight from going out the back doors of dispos. How will MI be any different?
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 01-27-2017, 06:56 PM #5
Queef

Queef is just really niceQueef is just really niceQueef is just really niceQueef is just really niceQueef is just really niceQueef is just really niceQueef is just really niceQueef is just really nice
How can they renig on my liscense like that. Can we patients sue? I've put alot of time and effort into this it's a 24 hrs a day 365 days a year job... I want compensation money for my work that will be lost. Every single year ive had my liscense. Plus my electric for running lights. Plus nutrients. Plus the amount I've paid in seeds/clones. Plus all the hardware I've bought. Plus the gas I've wasted driving to get the stuff. Plus what else am I missing...I feel like state of Michigan set me up.. make me do all this investing and change the law.. it's not right. They gave me a liscense if they want my liscense back they better buy me out and then re issue new liscenses.
Queef is offline Quote

Old 01-27-2017, 07:18 PM #6
shaggyballs

shaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant futureshaggyballs has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queef View Post
How can they renig on my liscense like that. Can we patients sue? I've put alot of time and effort into this it's a 24 hrs a day 365 days a year job... I want compensation money for my work that will be lost. Every single year ive had my liscense. Plus my electric for running lights. Plus nutrients. Plus the amount I've paid in seeds/clones. Plus all the hardware I've bought. Plus the gas I've wasted driving to get the stuff. Plus what else am I missing...I feel like state of Michigan set me up.. make me do all this investing and change the law.. it's not right. They gave me a liscense if they want my liscense back they better buy me out and then re issue new liscenses.
Your situation sounds like a real bummer man.
Welcome to the future, pass the laws first then change it to suit the need of the rich and powerful!

Does anyone really believe home growing can survive?....Not me!
Ins and outs of Pythium
OVERGROW FAQ

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 PM #7
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

dank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivor
Writing was on the wall for this years ago. Corrupt as all get out.

However, the cost isn't so prohibitive. A decent grower who has managed well with their 72, and hasn't had that as their sole income, could afford to make the transition.

I don't see the whole of Michigan going for mass produced product. There will be a good boutique market as long as you can produce true top shelf.

With those plant numbers you could actually get something accomplished as a breeder.

The reality is even in the last 4 years, the cannabis community has become the cannabis industry. It is going to be commercialized and monopolized. There is no stopping it.

The question is, what side of it do you want to be a part of? How are you going to adapt to the changes in order to stay relevant in an emerging industry?

We can keep places like ICmag the same by engaging and sharing on these forums to stay ahead of the curve and as an established community, discuss the industry.

I used to feel people who went corporate had jumped the ship and were to an extent betraying the culture. However, the reality is, someone is going to do it. It could be you. I'd rather members of our community step up and fill the industry than see it go to outsiders.

No reason 4 or 5 of you couldn't get together and form a true non-profit, establish a board, get a license and be true to the plant and work solely with sick/terminal type patients.

No reason a few of you couldn't get together and establish an LLC and get serious about what's coming and be the ones that make some money doing what you love.

Just saying. You know they are going to try and squeeze every penny out of it. Adapt or perish.

dank.Frank
ambiguous for the sake of the
ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR

Organic Soil ---> click here Current Grow --> click here
dank.frank is online now Quote

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:36 PM #8
shaggyballs

@dank.frank

Do you really feel the little guy can compete with the big dogs like 'Tweed" AKA (Canopy Growth Corporation)
Tweed currently owns 350,000 square feet of greenhouse on 1 site, and as far as we know, it is the largest marijuana greenhouse in the world. Plans are already being developed for a second building at the 20-acre location. and a total of 665,000 square footage of growing area with significant acreage for additional expansion. Tweed is currently suppling 7 European countries with medical cannabis.
And they’re moving into Australia, Brazil and Germany.

Tweed CORE PARTNERS

Snoop Dogg is one of the most revered figures in music, entertainment and more recently, a business pioneer in the cannabis sector. , a true global powerhouse.

Nutritional High developing manufacturing processes related to cannabis extracts.

DNA Genetics Seed supplier.

MedCann German Cannabis Importer

Vert Médical is a Quebec based producer of medical cannabis

Groupe Hemp is licensed by Health Canada to cultivate hemp and extract oil from hemp seeds.

AusCann is a leader in Australia's emerging medical cannabis industry.

Indoor Harvest is developing aeroponic agriculture solutions for the cannabis industry. The Texas-based company is already working with CityFarm at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to revolutionize the efficiency and accessibility of agriculture. Working with Tweed’s R&D team, Indoor Harvest is developing IP that both companies can leverage and license throughout the world.

CannScience is an R&D biopharmaceutical company established to conduct research and development of therapeutic products based on the extracts from medical cannabis.

Bedrocan Canada Pioneering medical cannabis for more than 20 years in seven countries.Today, Bedrocan is the world’s most experienced producer of legal medical cannabis.

METTRUM HEALTH CORP has established a line of cannabis products that work well in a medical context.
Our accomplishments to date are a result of our diversity. From horticultural experts to storied cannabis growers – Harvard MBAs to Cambridge law graduates – Ottawa Valley tech icons to Compassion Club pioneers. With no existing roadmap to success in the cannabis sector Canopy created its own, valuing IQ along with expertise, bringing together the types of people who go looking for opportunities to innovate. We were the first cannabis company to go public, the first to launch diversified growing platforms, and the first to bring together two major licensed cannabis producers under one roof.

I love this part

We may share your personal information with our employees, contractors, consultants, affiliates and other parties who require such information to assist us with managing our relationship with you, including third parties that provide services to us or on our behalf.
As a result, your personal information may be collected, used, processed, stored or disclosed in the United States and may potentially be accessible to law enforcement and national security authorities of that jurisdiction.

Welcome to the new Michigan Cannabis Monopoly.

Ins and outs of Pythium
OVERGROW FAQ

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:19 AM #9
mittensmitten

mittensmitten will become famous soon enoughmittensmitten will become famous soon enoughmittensmitten will become famous soon enough
F'in DNA thieves
mittensmitten is offline Quote

Old 01-29-2017, 07:20 AM #10
mittensmitten

mittensmitten will become famous soon enoughmittensmitten will become famous soon enoughmittensmitten will become famous soon enough
We should prepare for a complete Reaming from the State Gummint.
mittensmitten is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.