What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Unofficial Glossary for New Growers

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi Nite, great thread, or rather guide, I'm suprised this hasnt been stickied yet.
I noticed you're leaving out breeding terminology, but I do think that it could be helpfull so that peeps looking at seedbay, know what they are buying when buying S1s, rather than thinking they are buying F1s suitable for becoming P1s. Also a term I see a lot of newbies getting confused about that we use a lot here, (although I know it isnt in standard usage), "The Borg". Perhaps a run down of CFL, MH, HPS would be worthy additions.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I can't believe I left out The Borg! I'll fix that.

I've got the MH and HPS in there, but blew right past the CFL :bat:

The thing with breeding terminology, in all fairness, is that I have been growing for three years now, and I'm still not completely clear on it, so I have no way to begin putting those terms into easy to understand definitions.

Tell ya what though, how about I put those abbreviations in there with a link to the Breeding for Beginners sticky on the Breeder's Forums?

I'm even getting ambitious and thinking of Alphabetizing the glossary.

Ha ha. Beat ya' to it. Only took me 4½ years.
Yer' pal, Freeze

Last edited by a moderator:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
nah keep it all in one place Nite. Its really simple really. P1 = Parent plant. F1 = the result of 2 non related P1s. An F1 used to breed with becomes an P1 once it has kids. 2 P1s that are brother and sister create F2s. Each generation done using sister and brother after that adds 1 to the Fnumber. Add enough numbers to F and you get IBL. A parent bred with its own offspring makes Bxs. A hermie creating seeds without a partner generates S1s or Selfed plants, this is true whether the P1 to the S1s was a natural hermie or forced to hermie with chems. Although You'd have to sort out how to fit that into the glossary lol.

NiteTiger

Veteran
Um, yeah, ok, I've got all that, made perfect sense.

And if you believe that... :biglaugh:

LMAO

I'll work on sorting it all out though, see if I can work it in.

As far as the stickiness goes, I've had a few people mention it, but I don't think there is a specific mod for Grower's Forum (none listed, at least), so :confused:

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Veteran
Seeing the same questions, about the same terms, so a bump seems in order :wink:

NiteTiger,
i ran into the Abbreviation KFB a few times and i don't completely understand the concept. I think it would be a good addition. Any idea where the method was first developed?

KillerWeed

NiteTiger

Veteran
KillerWeed said:
NiteTiger,
i ran into the Abbreviation KFB a few times and i don't completely understand the concept. I think it would be a good addition. Any idea where the method was first developed?

KillerWeed

Sure do, I'll add it in! Gimme a few minutes.

NiteTiger

Veteran
Quite a few new growers joining us, and some folks asking about some of the things we've got covered here, so upsy daisy!

D

Don Cotyle

Excellent thread Tiger...here's a few more

Don Cotyle says...Cotyledons: seed half feeders

Anthocyanin expression: Purpleing

Triploid: 3 leaves in the begineing

Trifoliate: 3 leaves all the way

Whorled Phyllotaxy: circular whirling the leaves

Yea I know they're a bit out there...but it is what it is :p

Y

yamaha_1fan

Is there a definition for a line of plants that come from the same mom?

Good post NT. Why this isnt a sticky is beyond me though

Great work Tiger and Thanks:D u helped clarify some some things for me, but as I am a science student, will you please include basicity/alkaline properties to pH cuz anything over 7.0 is techniquely basic. this is for sure gonna be a sticky some day. keep up the good work!!! peaceout~red:joint:

GFlux

heh. Good thread, helped me out a little and learned something new. Maybe add a few more pests that swarm in and kill the crops. Thrips or something, just to send us noobs in the right direction. Peace.

-GFlux

Edit: Oh yeah, TMV would be a good add too, maybe a few other virus names or something.

Last edited: