What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pH flush water?

DanTheReggaeFan

In the past I've always pH'd my flush water but I was in the grow shop the other day and overheard the guy telling someone not to bother. I know grow shops can talk a lot of shit sometimes so I was just wondering what others do. I'm in coco if that makes a difference.

If your tap water is out of range, then yes I would PH it. Or at least on the last bucket of water I would PH it.

When I flush, my ph comes out lower than my tap water.... But my nutes are acidic. So once I have flushed enough, my 7.5-8.5ph water should be lowered IMHO.

The only reason to Ph your flush water is if you want the plant to continue feeding on the nutrients left in the medium. I use filtered tap (Ph 8+) to keep the chlorine etc out, but don't Ph during flush. I flush for a week, and I'm flushing to remove nutrients from the plant. If you do a longer flush, like two weeks, then I would consider Ph'ing the first week.

If one is doing a final coco flush, the status of the cations is irrelevant. The idea is to flush the nutrients from the medium so they aren't taken up by the plant. That's why we flush, and it doesn't bugger anything. Now if someone were to flush mid grow for some reason, that could present an issue. However, even if coco does become screwed up from flushing, simply re buffereing will fix the issue. That's how people reuse coco. They re buffer it. Not only does it save money, it makes for a great medium.