What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another dumb First timer with questions

laszlokovacs

First of im ecstatic to be here. Been lurking for a long time but living in a tiny apartment i never seriously considered growing but ICMags 1oz shot glass challenge honestly inspired me give it a go. I only had 1 bagseed from a pack from 2016-17 when I was moving packs and germed it. Initially was going to do a 1 oz shot glass but decided to re-pot into a (massive lol ) 16 oz take out chinese food container (nyc represent). Using soil obviously! Plant is around 5-6 weeks since planting germed seed so far and amazingly I havent killed it. I have a 50w chep LED Board running over it.

Started watering w only filtered tap water when a sprout- have been watering w diluted kelp extract for a few weeks now.

I have noticed some irregular coloring in the leaves the past few days including fried leaf tips that made me think the plant might have a Nitrogen deficiency/be too close to the light so I raised the LEDs. (Leaves were around 90F which i felt too hot even w fans circulating)

Here are the leaves which made me think this:

Burnt tips/light green-

Red Stems-

Healthy-ish vs not healthy leaf comparison-

Ok so well thanks to this great website I believe that this might be a nitrogen deficiency and the red stems may be a phosphorous deficiency but I really have no idea what im doing

Also I got my kelp extract thru ebay and contacted the seller recently who told me the npk of it is 0-0-0 which seems impossible? I know its supposed to low but a straight up 0-0-0 seems strange. Small browinsh spots on leaves are from dried kelp/water from foliar feeding if anyone's wondering

I put about 3 earthworms in my little container to keep my girl company about a week ago- I added some brown shredded paper the other day too.(based on what i read about green:brown compost ratios)

Soil temps are steady around 80F and so are the leaves. Hoping to pick up a soil pH tester/PAR meter thingy monday to have the most info possible

Ok so wonderful ppl @ ICmag- Am I correct that this is a Nitrogen deficiency in the leaves? This plant is at about 6 nodes of leaves but the bottom 2-3 sets are in varying stages of yellowing- I know its normal for lower growths to die out when the canopy covers them but that seems to me a bit premature for my plant here. Also- how can i expect the nitrogen in the coffee grounds to become available to my plant ( i read it can be a several months long affair) but since I hope the worms will be eating it it might breakdown quicker/be available thru castings.

Also- I am hoping to switch to flower soonish but dont want to until i have a better hand on my plants nutrient needs- I have a 50 watt incandescent bulb i picked up a while ago- It seems a little odd but is there any way or any problem when combining LED lighting w an incandescent bulb lol? Itd be tricky to set up w the LED board but I know plants need more light in flower so I wanna know if its even worthwhile to consider!

Thanks so much guys im so happy to finally make a post here on ICMag- Hope this post isnt too long

P.S- Anyone have any guesses as to this plants sex by looking at the red stems? I confuse myself and change my mind everytime i try to get a good look

Attachments

• frontview.jpg
    frontview.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 31
  • light green:yellow.jpg
    light green:yellow.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 39
  • red stems.jpg
    red stems.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 30
  • tip burns.jpg
    tip burns.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 32
  • topdown.jpg
    topdown.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 53
  • topdown:tipburn.jpg
    topdown:tipburn.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 57

Cvh

Supermod
Are there drainage holes in the bottom of the pot?
The soil looks wet to me. Be sure to let it dry out before watering. You can lift the pot to feel how heavy it is. A dry pot is feather light.

Maybe try to get some (organic) fertilizer for it as well. Kelp meal alone isn't going to be really enough for it.

The red stems might be a sign it's a bit cold. What is the day and night time temperature?

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah soil looks too wet unless you have just watered before the picture was taken.
Also I think your plant needs a bit more nitrogen and some micro nutrients.
A decent fertiliser like the biobizz range for example will sort it quickly.
She's not too bad, I wouldn't worry and maybe do less helicoptering ;-)
Good luck!

CC

EDIT: And keep the roots dark! They don't like light

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Welcome to ICMag!!

You're smart enough to end up on icmag, and you're asking questions. That's pretty smart and I see a bright future ahead for you. :D You'll find what you need here, no worries you're in good hands.

laszlokovacs

Thanks guys :)

Yeah Im def the stereotypical helicopter plant parent haha funny how u caught on that quickly-

Drainage is very good actually- excess water seeps out holes in pot 3-4 seconds after watering. These photos were actually taken right after watering/soaking the soil until bottom began to drip. I do have a tendency to overwater in general but i think i have a better handle on that now- watering about every 4 days when the pot is dry/light like cvh said
Temp is steady at around 80F on the soil surface + top sets of leaves during the day- Not quite sure about night but its summer here in nyc and it hasnt rly dropped below 65-70Fin a while

Thanks for the input everyone- found a place near me that sells foxfarm fertilizer so gonna try to grab some later although I will def research/look for biobizz too :)

As for the roots- i read somewhere that covering a container in some materials (i.e. aluminum foil) can trap heat in the container and overheat the soil. Would covering the sides in some fabric be safe? Also since some porous fabric pots air prune roots- does light have a similar effect/prevent it from getting root bound?

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys :)

Yeah Im def the stereotypical helicopter plant parent haha funny how u caught on that quickly-

Drainage is very good actually- excess water seeps out holes in pot 3-4 seconds after watering. These photos were actually taken right after watering/soaking the soil until bottom began to drip. I do have a tendency to overwater in general but i think i have a better handle on that now- watering about every 4 days when the pot is dry/light like cvh said
Temp is steady at around 80F on the soil surface + top sets of leaves during the day- Not quite sure about night but its summer here in nyc and it hasnt rly dropped below 65-70Fin a while

Thanks for the input everyone- found a place near me that sells foxfarm fertilizer so gonna try to grab some later although I will def research/look for biobizz too :)

As for the roots- i read somewhere that covering a container in some materials (i.e. aluminum foil) can trap heat in the container and overheat the soil. Would covering the sides in some fabric be safe? Also since some porous fabric pots air prune roots- does light have a similar effect/prevent it from getting root bound?

hahaha because we all do it!
Most plants do better without our full attention.
She will root through the medium no matter what, but better keep the roots in the dark. Fabric pots are great and roots won't penetrate through the fabric normally (unless the bottoms stay wet, then they'll go after the moisture). When you take a fully rootbound plant in a fabric pot, after harvest for example, you'll find the roots have grown in circles around/along the fabric sidewalls.
They come off a bit harder but I like them for better aeration.
All the best, as DC said you've come to the right place!
CC

Jayded

Do you find you have to water more often Chevy?Have always been put off them for that reason.I would like to use them as can get some that are wider with less height than all the big plastic pots that are available.

I'm very surprised that you've managed to get a plant to that size in such a small amount of soil Laszlo.Put it into a bigger pot and it will be fine.

Jayded

Grr,is a pain not being able to edit.Put the plant into a gallon pot and she will green up and start growing again.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you find you have to water more often Chevy?Have always been put off them for that reason.I would like to use them as can get some that are wider with less height than all the big plastic pots that are available.

I'm very surprised that you've managed to get a plant to that size in such a small amount of soil Laszlo.Put it into a bigger pot and it will be fine.

Yes they do dry out quicker. But this is mostly an issue with smaller ones, say smaller 1G/4L pots which can dry out quickly with mature sized plants in them.
Had no issue from 8L/2G upwards, it's just more soil holds, more water and takes lomger to dry out...

But I'd take that as a plus in coco. Plants seem to thrive on the wet/dry cycles in coco. Just don't let it fully dry out!
Keep going!!

CC

Rodehazrd

First of im ecstatic to be here. Been lurking for a long time but living in a tiny apartment i never seriously considered growing but ICMags 1oz shot glass challenge honestly inspired me give it a go. I only had 1 bagseed from a pack from 2016-17 when I was moving packs and germed it. Initially was going to do a 1 oz shot glass but decided to re-pot into a (massive lol ) 16 oz take out chinese food container (nyc represent). Using soil obviously! Plant is around 5-6 weeks since planting germed seed so far and amazingly I havent killed it. I have a 50w chep LED Board running over it.

Started watering w only filtered tap water when a sprout- have been watering w diluted kelp extract for a few weeks now.

I have noticed some irregular coloring in the leaves the past few days including fried leaf tips that made me think the plant might have a Nitrogen deficiency/be too close to the light so I raised the LEDs. (Leaves were around 90F which i felt too hot even w fans circulating)

Here are the leaves which made me think this:

Burnt tips/light green- [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=540261&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=540259&thumb=1]View Image[/URL][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=540261&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Red Stems-[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=540260&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Healthy-ish vs not healthy leaf comparison- [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=540262&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Ok so well thanks to this great website I believe that this might be a nitrogen deficiency and the red stems may be a phosphorous deficiency but I really have no idea what im doing

Also I got my kelp extract thru ebay and contacted the seller recently who told me the npk of it is 0-0-0 which seems impossible? I know its supposed to low but a straight up 0-0-0 seems strange. Small browinsh spots on leaves are from dried kelp/water from foliar feeding if anyone's wondering

I put about 3 earthworms in my little container to keep my girl company about a week ago- I added some brown shredded paper the other day too.(based on what i read about green:brown compost ratios)

Soil temps are steady around 80F and so are the leaves. Hoping to pick up a soil pH tester/PAR meter thingy monday to have the most info possible

Ok so wonderful ppl @ ICmag- Am I correct that this is a Nitrogen deficiency in the leaves? This plant is at about 6 nodes of leaves but the bottom 2-3 sets are in varying stages of yellowing- I know its normal for lower growths to die out when the canopy covers them but that seems to me a bit premature for my plant here. Also- how can i expect the nitrogen in the coffee grounds to become available to my plant ( i read it can be a several months long affair) but since I hope the worms will be eating it it might breakdown quicker/be available thru castings.

Also- I am hoping to switch to flower soonish but dont want to until i have a better hand on my plants nutrient needs- I have a 50 watt incandescent bulb i picked up a while ago- It seems a little odd but is there any way or any problem when combining LED lighting w an incandescent bulb lol? Itd be tricky to set up w the LED board but I know plants need more light in flower so I wanna know if its even worthwhile to consider!

Thanks so much guys im so happy to finally make a post here on ICMag- Hope this post isnt too long

P.S- Anyone have any guesses as to this plants sex by looking at the red stems? I confuse myself and change my mind everytime i try to get a good look
Hello and welcome to IC
You are correct on N being low also some of my strains show those racing stripes on the stem when P gets low. I used FF grow, bloom and micro when I first started and had very good results. Be sure to use all three and start out at half strength.
On the bulb. get some screw in LED's and a clamp fixture. You can find some folks on IC flowering with those.
Happy growing:plant grow:

laszlokovacs

hahaha because we all do it!
Most plants do better without our full attention.
She will root through the medium no matter what, but better keep the roots in the dark. Fabric pots are great and roots won't penetrate through the fabric normally (unless the bottoms stay wet, then they'll go after the moisture). When you take a fully rootbound plant in a fabric pot, after harvest for example, you'll find the roots have grown in circles around/along the fabric sidewalls.
They come off a bit harder but I like them for better aeration.
All the best, as DC said you've come to the right place!
CC

Lol thanks for the advice I decided to abstain from posting here and letting my lil guy take its time growing. I ended up buying liquid hydrolyzed fish compost as fert (2-4-1) instead of foxfarm because of cost and because of small size of grow.

I'm trying to keep this grow as small as possible for a couple reasons so this plastic take out cup is gonna be the final container but i added electrical tape to the outside to block light.

I want to flip my plant to flower now, there are no more visible nutrient deficiencies and it is around 10"- 1Ft tall with a good number of nodes. (most of the bottom leaves died bc of N def. which I would probably have pruned anyway.

What can I expect to need to do during flowering? I believe blooming plants need more K or P i forget which- should i anticipate having to supplement my plant with one of these nutrients?

I am also contemplating adding more soil- does it matter if i add more soil on top before or after I flip to veg and if so which is better?

Also i wanna maybe take a cutting to clone this baby but i have seen conflicting answers about when to do so ranging from only in veg all the way to 3 weeks in flower. When should I do this? And How? ( I assume diagonal cuts with a solid 2-3 nodes above and then soaking in water/light nute solution) Would love some tips thanks :)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Good job so far :) Half the battle with learning cannabis is understanding how the plant responds to what you're doing. Your small plant is still perfect for this, and it brings back memories with smiles attached for me personally. :)

So, your main goal is nutrition and keeping all flowering sites within your optimal light zone. Too close to the light, the flowers will form smaller, harder and have lower levels of resins and terpenes. Much too close and you'll see color differences as the light bleaches the green out of them. Too far away, and the flower site will grow a stem to push the flower up to better lighting. Clip those or move the branch closer to the light, otherwise you'll end up with immature and fluffy flowers there at harvest time.

Unlike your average garden vegetable which generally absorbs only the nutrients it needs, cannabis is a dynamic accumulator, and is great at a process called "phytoremediation." Simply put for our purposes, "Cannabis will absorb excess in the root zone and 'fix' it to new cell growth where it will never flush out."

Not only will cannabis absorb excess nutrients, it will also absorb many elements and molecules it has zero needs for. These include heavy metals, petroleum byproducts, toxins, and an amazing array of chemicals/pesticides. Be very particular about what the roots of a cannabis plant have access to. ;)

When you make a feeding mistake with cannabis during flower you really want it to be underfeeding. Any overfeeding will degrade end flower quality permanently. It's like a painting crew being given extra paint, then being told they have to use it all. It gets painted on the walls in extra layers. When the cleaning crew comes through the buckets get cleaned up, but the paint on the walls stays. Make sense? It's night/day obvious when you run two clones with hot and moderately amended organic soils. :)

As for what to keep up nutrition with in your setup there you'll have to consult the soil guys. My experience is 90%+ hydro, with the remaining soil being mainly mums for clones. Dark green is a sign of too much nitrogen and definitely something to avoid in flower. Once the flowers quit physically growing in size their nutritional needs change and reduce drastically. Plan on not adding any additional food after the first 3 weeks. The plant should begin 'fading' where the fan and sugar leaves begin to brown/tan/gold and die off.

I much prefer harvesting when the exposed sugar leaves are dry and dead. They're still alive inside the flower and need clipped out when trimming (my preference), but I definitely prefer golden to "GREEN" at harvest time. lol huge difference in quality. :)

Cvh

Supermod
^^During flowering your plant will indeed more P and K then N.

Take the time to study more about the needs of the plant. There are a lot of great books about (organic) cannabis growing.

By your next grow I'm sure you'll have much more insight on how you can fine tune more your nutrients.

laszlokovacs

Once again I am asking for your knowledgeable support :)

Once again I am asking for your knowledgeable support :)

So ive been able to keep this bagseed going and topped it a while back although unfortunately i killed the clone right after it rooted (got a second cutting going tho fingers crossed!). I flipped to a flowering light cycle just over 2 weeks ago and I think its getting close to being able to tell the sex for certain. I think/really hope that this is a girl and see what i believe are pistils?? near the two tops. I think a fair amount of preflowers/buds are popping up below as well but i really wanna know for sure what i have my hands on:jump:These arent great pics sorry but hopefully theyre clear enough-
1 of the tops:

female looking preflowers?

Attachments

• IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1267@0.25x.jpg
    IMG_1267@0.25x.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Latest posts