What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new grower needs an expert eye

speedseth

Hi all,
I'm from Los Angeles, and I'm in the midst of my second outdoor grow. I'm a rank amateur. Picked up some clones from a local dispensary and am growing them outside in my backyard with lots of sun.

This one was sold to me as the strain "flan" It's flowering early.
The brown parts are making me a little nervous. I've looked at them under a 60x microscope, compared it to last years under a scope, and nothing seems wrong. But once again, I'm a rank amateur. Some expert advice would be amazing. Should I cut off the buds with the brown? Nothing seems amiss outside of the color.

I found the IC forums through this post that had a similar issue with no real solution.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...66&postcount=8

three photos below. The brown is confined to the most sunward stock, temps here are in the 70's- 80's, few days in the 90's. No rain.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9999.jpg
    IMG_9999.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 23

speedseth

First photo is a close up of a "clean" part of the plant. Photos 2 & 3 are of the brown area

Thanks for your time.

bushed

Looks like mold which is strange so early, the plant may be prone to it, or could be from dead insects.

I would chop it out and keep a close eye.

Jayded

All single blade leafs on that plant or just in flower?Plant looks like it's finished flowering,i cant see any white pistils in the pics and calyxes look like they are fully swollen to me.

indagroove

Veteran
When did you put them out? They look like they started flowering, and and now reverting back to veg mode.

speedseth

Thank you all so much for taking a look at this for me. I'm in your debt, and hoping someday to be able to pay it forward. It went out near the end of april, which turned out to be too early. I added a few more photos for you all.
The plant got to about 26" in height. I've got a picture of the full sized plant, a few more close ups.

I also plucked off one of the brown bits, took a photo and then broke a small piece off and took a few through the lens of my 60x scope- which is pretty shitty in quality, but maybe that will help? Anything else I can answer for you?

Thank you again for your help.

speedseth

Here's the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 23

JockBudman

I'd agree with the revegging assessment. I've had browning calyxes and sugar leaves from plants that have flowered for too long due to stress or whatever.

ETA - I can see amber trichs on the macro shots of the brown calyx. That coupled with their position on the bottom of the buds definitely says they flowered too early to me

speedseth

Thanks a ton for your advice. Last years grow produced much larger buds, I (stupidly) assumed that was normal. Really appreciate all of your time and expertise.

Cantharellus

If you are in a position to do it you could rig up an led to keep the plant under 24 hrs of light for 2 or 3 weeks. This will help get it back into veg. Just a single bulb will do it. Leave at least 8 weeks before your last frost with no light. Oldahole does this to keep his plants from flowering too quick in Hawaii . I would give it a trim to prevent mold also. It will be a pain.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi all,
I'm from Los Angeles, and I'm in the midst of my second outdoor grow. I'm a rank amateur. Picked up some clones from a local dispensary and am growing them outside in my backyard with lots of sun.

This one was sold to me as the strain "flan" It's flowering early.
The brown parts are making me a little nervous. I've looked at them under a 60x microscope, compared it to last years under a scope, and nothing seems wrong. But once again, I'm a rank amateur. Some expert advice would be amazing. Should I cut off the buds with the brown? Nothing seems amiss outside of the color.

I found the IC forums through this post that had a similar issue with no real solution.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...66&postcount=8

three photos below. The brown is confined to the most sunward stock, temps here are in the 70's- 80's, few days in the 90's. No rain.

Any thoughts?
You should harvest them right away and removed the parts with the budrot/botrytis.

Not bad for a first try though. And, it's only June so you can grow more outdoors this year.

Go slow on the nutrients next time, use a high P/K nutrient solution (0.4 EC) and epsom salt (0.1 EC) at a low dose. The P really develops the roots, and the K develops strong stems and branches. Mg in epsom salt keeps the leaves nice and green. Nitrogen is really the growth nutrient, of which the plant doesn't need a lot, development (roots, branches, healthy foliage) is better than growth (lots of leaf growth when the roots and stems aren't ready for it).

Plants don't need a lot of fertilizer until they are in their productive phase, which is mid-late flowering. And they need fewer nutrients when they have a well developed root system.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If I may respond, when a plant is planted in location that only haves 1/2 day of sun it will act like the plant above. I have planted plants in 1/2 days sun and the grow is limited compared to full all day sun exposure. The plant above is planted too close to the wall to have a natural grow.

indagroove

Veteran
If I may respond, when a plant is planted in location that only haves 1/2 day of sun it will act like the plant above. I have planted plants in 1/2 days sun and the grow is limited compared to full all day sun exposure. The plant above is planted too close to the wall to have a natural grow.

This is not true.

Mikemax

In Southern California you shouldn't put plants outside until Mothers Day, around the first week in May. So I think you put these out too early and they went into flower.

Also I've found it isn't a good idea to plant directly into the ground. Use pots. This way you can turn the pot 1/4 turn each day for full sun on all sides of the plant. Cloth grow bags work best for this type of grow I think. Soil stays aerated and water drains well, and they are easy to move around if you need to.

As you know it gets pretty hot here unless you live right on the beach. Watch the temps. Over 85 or 90 degrees I'd move the pots into shade for the day. IMHO.

Happy gardening.

Mikemax

Another thing. It's mid Aug now so too late to start another grow UNLESS you start with teens. If you buy nice healthy 2 ft. teens and put them outside now they will go into flower about the first week of September, and you'll have a harvest in about 8 weeks. I know guys who put 10 plants out every month all winter long. Starting in early November they have a harvest every month. Weather is perfect for this. Rarely gets below 50 and never gets above 75 in winter in Los Angeles. Lots of red light sunshine perfect for flowering.

Couple thing to watch out for ... RAIN. You don't want buds to get wet. This might cause mold. Another reason to use grow bags'
Pests. Spider mites are ALWAYS an issue here. Not as much of a problem in winter but still always an issue. Have a plan. Neem oil, Dr. Doom Avid or something else. Lots of info on this board about pests. I'd read it.
Get your teens from a reputable clone nursery. NOT from a dispensary. Pot shops are NOT set up to take proper care of plants AND they are a great place to pick up spider mites. Way too many people traipsing in and out. Do a google search for clone nursery near me.