What's new

Best way to clean/sanitize used Coco

I was thinking of soaking my used medium in h202 mix with water but I have no idea what ratios to use? Or is there better more efficient options?

A

anoydas 666

I used to wash coco out with weak nutes, but now do nothing except break it of slab , put in big containers n reuse mixed with new coco later, no problems for years.mainly canna coco.

budsnblunts

Veteran
I use a 10% solution of bleach. Run that through it then a little clean water for good measures. Never had an issue.

knuckles

Veteran
Starting with r/o,I’ll add 250-350ppm of cal/mag,Uc roots(hypochlorous acid) ph 6.0,then rinse the coco till I get a reasonable e.c. from the effluent.(same e.c. coming out)

unnamedmike

calcium hypochlorite (bleach is sodium hypochlorite) or boil the cococoir. i use a 10 liters pot full of coco and 2 water liters, cover and boil 20 min +-

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oven.

Don't put it too high and be patient. Just ensure all the medium, especially in the inner part, reaches at least 70ºC, then it's done. Used it many times for seed sprouting and it works nice.

Ensure medium is a little moist... better heat diffusion.

:wave:

unnamedmike

The bleach won’t change or ulter the coco at all? Or like stain it white? Lol
i dont use bleach (sodium [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]hypochlorite[/FONT]) some times use calcium [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]hypochlorite ([/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HTH Pool shock) 1gr x gallon. You need a lot to stain or white anything. But mostly of times, i just boil the cococoir 10l + tap water 2l ([/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chlorine 25ppm+-) 30 minutes. [/FONT]

Oven.

Don't put it too high and be patient. Just ensure all the medium, especially in the inner part, reaches at least 70ºC, then it's done. Used it many times for seed sprouting and it works nice.

Ensure medium is a little moist... better heat diffusion.

:wave:

I have 15x5gal pots to clean out... feel like that’s be smelly and take forever lol

i dont use bleach (sodium [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]hypochlorite[/FONT]) some times use calcium [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]hypochlorite ([/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HTH Pool shock) 1gr x gallon. You need a lot to stain or white anything. But mostly of times, i just boil the cococoir 10l + tap water 2l ([/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chlorine 25ppm+-) 30 minutes. [/FONT]

I have pool shock on deck I’ll just give it a try... I also was going to buy EXILE and/or possibly h202 but needed a more cost efficient way to do it.

DryTec 1-1901 Calcium Hypochlorite Chlorinating Shock Treatment for Swimming Pools, 1-Pound That’s the stuff I have for my pool. Will that work at 1gran per gallon of water when I rinse the coco?

HalfArsedFarmer

No poison chucked on my Coco.

I simply leave it 85L pop up garden bags outside where it gets washed out by the rain for a few months, chuck in a bottle of Enzyme and re use.........

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
You could pasteurize the coco in a 60qt stock pot, 5 or 6
batches.

I do micro, and use a 10 qt stock pot for my needs,
and know a couple guys who use the large stock pot
method after destructive gnat infestations.

Its part of the routine, and time well spent.

unnamedmike

DryTec 1-1901 Calcium Hypochlorite Chlorinating Shock Treatment for Swimming Pools, 1-Pound That’s the stuff I have for my pool. Will that work at 1gran per gallon of water when I rinse the coco?

what % pure is your DryTec 1-1901 Calcium Hypochlorite? htc is 52% Calcium Hypochlorite i think.

No poison chucked on my Coco.

I simply leave it 85L pop up garden bags outside where it gets washed out by the rain for a few months, chuck in a bottle of Enzyme and re use.........
Calcium hypochlorite is commonly used to sanitize public swimming pools and disinfect drinking water, its not poison. If I leave my cococoir in the yard, after a few rains I have nematodes worm sized. I imagine that what works in one place does not have to work at all

what % pure is your DryTec 1-1901 Calcium Hypochlorite? htc is 52% Calcium Hypochlorite i think.

Calcium hypochlorite is commonly used to sanitize public swimming pools and disinfect drinking water, its not poison. If I leave my cococoir in the yard, after a few rains I have nematodes worm sized. I imagine that what works in one place does not have to work at all

I kinda over did the grams. I did 4oz (in a liquid measuring cup) into 16-17gallons of water. How long should I be rinsing to get it cleaned out??

unnamedmike

I kinda over did the grams. I did 4oz (in a liquid measuring cup) into 16-17gallons of water. How long should I be rinsing to get it cleaned out??

Diy "clear rez" recipe:

5 grams of pure Pool shock (45% calcium hyd) to 1 gallon of water = SOLUTION MIX.....then to use it
1-5ml per gallon of the SOLUTION MIX to your res according to your requirements.
I have some calcium hypochlorite (pool shock) that says 49% available chlorine. How much do I add to get 2 ppm of chlorine to a 100 gallon reservoir?
To figure for 2 ppm of TOTAL chlorine is simple.
Remember 1mg/L = 1 ppm
So 2 ppm would be 2 mg per liter of water.
100 gallons = 378.5 liters. So 378.5 x 2 = 757 mg
But its only 49 percent strong. So 757/.49=1545 mg or 1.545 g

Gnats...

Gnats...

Has anyone noticed that reused coco has less of a gnat problem?

I went for years using new coco each run. I used 5kg blocks that i hydrated and rinsed with 135f water. Im pretty sure no eggs lived through that process. But, i could never get rid of gnats. I could just control them.

A couple months ago, i started to recycle coco. I didn't change anything else. My gnat problem is dramatically improved. Tonight, i didn't spot a bloody one. And, i have not applied any controls recently either.

Anyone else see this?