What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Male Cannabis Tips Wanted

T

TrueReligion

Hey guys i've always run from clone and recently started with a couple bodhi seeds.

I've been reading up on the abysmal info on males and here's a couple things I found

I'm leaving everything I read to speculation since there has been no scientific evidence to verify.

Hollow stems lead to higher potentcy
First to flower leads to lower potentcy
And other stupid bullshit I don't want to type

It irks me that there is BARELY any info on males.

ANYWAY i know i can keep them in the same room if theyre in a isolation chamber.

Couple questions here,

Do they produce clusters without 12/12?
(Already read that with 12/12 he'll produce more sacks in 1-3weekz)

Do they need 12/12 to produce pollen?
(I know preflowers do but I need moar)

How do males handle light leaks is the pollen weaker does he go sterile back to veg?

If put from 24/7 to 12/12 back to 24/7 will they stop forming clusters and go back to veg or keep growing baaalllzzzz?

Main reasons I ask are,
My grow is light proof but I'd rather not keep my males in the same room as my females isolation chamber or not. They showed pre flowers a month ago and ive been clipping them since. My girls are ready to flower so ill be needing pollen that way I have some seeds for back up without dropping extra cash. I can keep the males in a separate room granted its not light proof. I have a 100w LED, light bulb along with a fluval full spectrum led marine light I can use for the males. I have three males from three different strains (was four but i culled him down) so theyre going to be sharing the lights while being spaced away so i don't cross contaminate the pollen.

Any info on males is accepted. Thank you!

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Once males are sexed, I normally placed them in another room and give them 15 hours of light to delay their maturity.
While the females still get 12 hours and they mature at a more rapid rate than the delayed males. After 2 or 3 weeks
of this treatment I put the males under 12 hours and they ripen just normally and are ready to pollinate the females.
If I don't want all the females to be pollinated. I bring her to him and kept her there for a few days days until she
shows signs of pollination. I then mist her well, let her dry and place her back in the main grow room.

Learning to collect pollen will help you pollinate only one branch or plant also.

LedLara

Nice tip on the 15 hours! delaying the maturation can come in very handy indeed. I've kept males at a seperate location, and only collected some pollen in alu foil to keep it in the freezer.

good luck!

WelderDan

Veteran
Hollow stems? I've had potent and not potent plants with hollow stems. Same for solid stems. Strain dependent IMO. It is not an indicator of squat.

First to flower leads to lower potentcy? No. Plant dependent. The last to flower might be the weakest, same for the first. Only testing the plant can tell you. Take clones of everything so you can cull the weak.

They don't need 12/12 to produce pollen. I've seen 'em do it on 18/6

You can collect male pollen anytime it drops. Let it dry, seal it and freeze it. Use it when you want.

Or clone it, and flower the clone whenever you want. You can keep a male in veg too.
But like females, some are easier than others.

Fuel

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Do they produce clusters without 12/12?
(Already read that with 12/12 he'll produce more sacks in 1-3weekz)

Yes but for a reason of quality, this pollen bags don't count. Just like preflowers of females on the base of the stems. They have a nice taste but that's all.

Do they need 12/12 to produce pollen?
(I know preflowers do but I need moar)

To be rightly triggered and to show his potential, absolutly yes.

How do males handle light leaks is the pollen weaker does he go sterile back to veg?

I don't really understand the question.

If put from 24/7 to 12/12 back to 24/7 will they stop forming clusters and go back to veg or keep growing baaalllzzzz?

The latency on males is bigger that female. So you can produce pollen a good week or twos in 24/0 photoperio / re-veg.

Ghetto tips : They don't need any light or optimal condition to fertilize the females. Trigger the male in 12/12 to the point that the bags start to crack (not open). Put him in a big (in height) paper box a small week (don't water him), when he start to throw put your mature female clones in the same box and let them 48 hours in. It's enough to have a fully seeded "sog style" clone of 200-300 seeds, and the male can handle in 2 to 3 more turn over if any.

[/FONT]