What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's Guide To Cloning In Rockwool Or Aeroponics With 100% Success Rates!

Snype

Veteran
Right now I'm using 7ml ff grow big 70ml of power clone and 90 ml res clear every 5 days wondering if adding the superthrive will help it root faster took out the air stones though what you think snype

Dont know. Only know the methods that I tested.

marmarb

Added 2.5ml st last round had nubs in 4 days but a large amount never threw anything but bumps after two weeks still no long roots so trashed them read lowering the water level helps but I don't see how since its still being constantly sprayed

marmarb

Made some rez clear with pool shock I also got the official 16oz bottle temps are low though 72 no air stones

Hey Snype,

I just bought a bottle of Clorox and am ready to try this cloning technique. I noticed that the bottles now say "concentrated," so I looked up what the difference was between the old Clorox and the new.
Old Clorox = 5.25% sodium hypochlorite
New Clorox = 8.25% sodium hypochlorite (labeled concentrated)

I was wondering which bleach you used for your recipe. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience!!

--------------------

For anyone needing to convert between these two bleaches, I found a helpful link....

http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/env...ocuments/CloroxConcentratedDosageGuidance.pdf

Snype

Veteran
Hey Snype,

I just bought a bottle of Clorox and am ready to try this cloning technique. I noticed that the bottles now say "concentrated," so I looked up what the difference was between the old Clorox and the new.
Old Clorox = 5.25% sodium hypochlorite
New Clorox = 8.25% sodium hypochlorite (labeled concentrated)

I was wondering which bleach you used for your recipe. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience!!

--------------------

For anyone needing to convert between these two bleaches, I found a helpful link....

http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/env...ocuments/CloroxConcentratedDosageGuidance.pdf

That's a good question. The concentration of Clorox has changed. I didnt really update my usage rates because my rates were low to begin with. I will try my best to estimate the formula. First of all make sure you use regular uncented not splash guard Clorox. Just the regular version. I could have swarn the old formula was around 5.6 or 5.9 but I do remember that 1 drop per gallon was 1 PPM. My dropper gave 22 drops per mL so that would mean that ever 44 gallons per mL would have given you 0.5 PPM which is ok for a very short time.

Now with Clorox's new formula, 1 drop per gallon is roughly 1.4 PPM. So I didnt update my formula because 22 drops into 44 gallons would give you roughly 0.7 PPM which I happen to like more. On Rockwool Clones, I use a drop per Gallon. You could use a drop per gallon in all systems but try starting younger plants at 1 drop per 2 gallons.

I just realized this was my cloning thread, not RDWC. 1 drop of Clorox per gallon is good for Rockwool. Formula's above will work well.

Right on, thanks! I cut em and stuck em in the EZ Cloner. I used .5 ml of the concentrated Clorox for 10 gallons, added the Micro and Bloom, but did not have Superthrive.

I have a massive amount of bubbles in the EZ Cloner. (70 liters per hour from six airstones). Do you think I should replenish the bleach regularly since the O2 will deplete the chlorine so fast?

Snype

Veteran
Right on, thanks! I cut em and stuck em in the EZ Cloner. I used .5 ml of the concentrated Clorox for 10 gallons, added the Micro and Bloom, but did not have Superthrive.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=50532&pictureid=1181430&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

I have a massive amount of bubbles in the EZ Cloner. (70 liters per hour from six airstones). Do you think I should replenish the bleach regularly since the O2 will deplete the chlorine so fast?

Id go every 5 days unless there is a problem. Yeah you will run out but the first treatment should have killed anything for you. Once you add more, the treatment starts again. Too much can affect your young plants.

Thachrizzy

@snype

Thanks again for the user guides. Everyone should pay close attention to these guides. After growing for almost 20 years now, I definitely know what not to do. Funny thing is that my methods line up almost exactly with what Snype has put down in his guides. These methods just work.

I would like to add that I tried your clone solution here, but I swapped out the base nutrient for Botanicare CNS17 Bloom (coco/soil formulation). I ran the nutrient strength at 1.0 EC. Roots busted out just as you describe in your thread.

Snype

Veteran
@snype

Thanks again for the user guides. Everyone should pay close attention to these guides. After growing for almost 20 years now, I definitely know what not to do. Funny thing is that my methods line up almost exactly with what Snype has put down in his guides. These methods just work.

I would like to add that I tried your clone solution here, but I swapped out the base nutrient for Botanicare CNS17 Bloom (coco/soil formulation). I ran the nutrient strength at 1.0 EC. Roots busted out just as you describe in your thread.

Nice! Most base nutes will work just fine! Shows that growers dont need bottles of expensive cloning formulas at the grow shop to get great results. Thanks for reporting back. I used to use 7 drops SuperThrive and a very small dose of FloraNova Bloom per gallon for roots in 9 days.

I'm finding that all of your threads are super informative. I'm going to try your Rockwool method and compare it to my bubble cloners that I've been using for ages which are getting a little beat up. I have a feeling I will be using Rockwool from now on. I appreciate all the time you put into documenting your work and techniques. I have so much to learn and I look to ICMAG for direction!
-Old School

Snype

Veteran
I'm finding that all of your threads are super informative. I'm going to try your Rockwool method and compare it to my bubble cloners that I've been using for ages which are getting a little beat up. I have a feeling I will be using Rockwool from now on. I appreciate all the time you put into documenting your work and techniques. I have so much to learn and I look to ICMAG for direction!
-Old School

I'm glad that you enjoy my information. I try to be as informative as I can. My information will only get better with time. My rock wool method is a sure thing if you pay attention to the moisture levels. If you don't mind using SuperThrive, substitute SuperThrive at the rate of 1 mL per gallon instead of the B1 for the Rockwool cuttings in Mini-Blocks. Keep the other ingredients that I listed but just take out the B1. It works fine with the older way but the 1 mL of SuperThrive really makes your roots pound out. I've been testing SuperThrive for years and this 1 mL per Gal on top of the Micro and Bloom really make it fool proof. Thanks for stopping by.

I'm glad that you enjoy my information. I try to be as informative as I can. My information will only get better with time. My rock wool method is a sure thing if you pay attention to the moisture levels. If you don't mind using SuperThrive, substitute SuperThrive at the rate of 1 mL per gallon instead of the B1 for the Rockwool cuttings in Mini-Blocks. Keep the other ingredients that I listed but just take out the B1. It works fine with the older way but the 1 mL of SuperThrive really makes your roots pound out. I've been testing SuperThrive for years and this 1 mL per Gal on top of the Micro and Bloom really make it fool proof. Thanks for stopping by.

Sounds great. I always keep a bottle of SuperThrive around for transplants, so that wont be a problem. Thanks again, keep it up.
-Old School :joint:

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
i noticed in your pic ypu have a post it and you add 3 drops bleach per 2 gals in that recipe. you didnt include that in your rockwool recipe in the rockwool post, only the aero version. do you recommend this now or was that something you no longer do. also ive always been told to ph rockwool to 5.5 and the package says 5.5 too. you recommend 5.8. is that something you do differently because 5.5 was not working well? did you find 5.8 to be an improvement improvement? thanks for the very informative thread. very kind of you. smart move weighing the blocks as a tool for articulating moisture content.

Snype

Veteran
i noticed in your pic ypu have a post it and you add 3 drops bleach per 2 gals in that recipe. you didnt include that in your rockwool recipe in the rockwool post, only the aero version. do you recommend this now or was that something you no longer do. also ive always been told to ph rockwool to 5.5 and the package says 5.5 too. you recommend 5.8. is that something you do differently because 5.5 was not working well? did you find 5.8 to be an improvement improvement? thanks for the very informative thread. very kind of you. smart move weighing the blocks as a tool for articulating moisture content.

Smart guy! You found the hidden secret formula in the picture. That is the best one for you to use. Use it exactly as it states and you will be happy. The other one works too but the one in the picture is the one that I use to this day. The pH is not that big of a deal while the cut is rooting but I like to be at 5.9. Be aware that there's no B1-Red in the picture. Only SuperThrive at my listed rate. I have some more tricks but haven't showed them yet. I'll probably show some other tricks soon. It has to do with where to cut the clones.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
youre the smarty pants who figured out how to explain proper moisture. thats so simple and perfect. its the single hardest thing about explaining cloning to newcomers. i am relearning from the ground up after abandoning it for a little while. aero rooter, reoccurring rot related failures, im going to try your cleaning. i talked to a fish tank pro and he recomended muriatic acid {diluted) for breakingg down hidden encrusted gunga. have you ever tried doing aero to the pre rooting stage and then putting into medium. i know it is probably not something that someone with success would even consider but it was an idea i had for an experiment. what do you think? thanks sooo much for posting this, its a very nice tutorial. i am intrigued to hear more of your tips that you mentioned. whats the cutting location you speak of.

Latest posts

Latest posts