What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sexing plant by pre-flowers

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
i have some questions. about pre flowers and tring to "seX" a plant.

if you dont allow enough time or sexual maturity (showing sex naturally during veg) am i shorting my end product and the very genetics i am pursuing? do i not give them enough time? does showing sex naturally during veg growth mean it is ready for flowering?

edit: super high. please advise!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
It isn't something you get to allow. Sexually immature plants wont produce sexual characteristics. If the plant exhibits sexual characteristics it's sexually mature.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
so youre saying that whether i veg my plants for 2 months or two weeks. the end result would be the same.

J

jonnybgood29

the plant will be the same, but youll harvest much more with the older plant!

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
How early can I check for sex? My plants are under 1 month old and all vegging. They are all supposed to be feminised but I want to make sure to gain the experience.
Magnifiying glass at the ready....

growhi

im pre sexing my plants at the min on 18/6 , one thing id say is look at the overall picture !! and be 100% before you chop , on some the females there were small round male like preflowers with little stems but the other preflowers were saying female , im doing mine with the naked eye btw , but the males show no female preflowers there all round or claw like the males are easy they scream male but you get females that can trick you so if in doubt wait untile you get the hairs :)

Reactions: ost
J

J.C.grower

thanks FReezerBoy for this great explanation. but im still not sure, since im a new grower still developing my skills at determining the sex. but i have this lady which im not sure on. can anyone help me out? hopefully these pictures help. i am also on week 2 of 12/12, i dont want to risk it being a male and pollinating my cab.
:thank you:

Stay fligh
JC

trickey mickey

thanx for the advice fella's this guy could use all the help he can get. going outdoors letting mothr nature do most of the work. starting with street mids seeds to get awsome grox spot then i'll kill it all. gonna start with DPS SkunkPasssionand somw master kush............................wish me luck. Any and all info would be greatly recieved Trickey

bigshrimp

Veteran
Males in many strains 'bolt' as they reach sexual maturity having much more space inbetween nodes.
This is not the way to definatly determine sex but is a way to spot potential males and sort them to make your job easier as their junk does appear.

Tweetybird

Boy

Girl

Hi peeps. Here's some of my plants and what they look like currently. I've listed my guess as to their sex...but its still a guess at this point.

i do add the males to my extractant trim also take a male i want pollen out of to another location let him mature collect pollen store for future germination for crossing and makin new strains makin a new strain by fertilizing 2 to 4 of the bottom bud branches only i get new strain of seeds plus most of the plant is seedless just crossed a 90% sativa 10% indica with a 100% indica with the medical grade seeds going for 10 to 15 dollars per seed figure it out new strains and seeds for growin and trading/selling

i have a serious question

i started a plant from seed it turned out to be pure indica i vegged for two weeks right before going into flower i topped it

i flowered this plant for three weeks and still no signs of sex.. nada...

i removed the plant and cut big clones and put it back in veg i cant risk my flower room i have a beatiful sativa unknown strain growing small with big colas

how come no signs of sex after two plus weeks

if this plant is put in my veg room and it turns out to be male can it pollinate my clones during a veg state

i am ready to just destroy this plant i cant risk so much time and effort to get seeded budd thats why i removed it

now i see that the pollen wont be dropped for two weeks after showing can a plant really take 5 weeks to show sex or more?

fertilome

I have planted a bag seed and put it under 12/12 just to find out the sex. its a girl now i have it under 18/6 is that right