What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pistils turning black and dying back (early in flowering).

TNJed

Sorry up front for no pix. Here we go...I am 21 days into flowering two strains, White WidowxPower Plant and NYCDxSweet Tooth #3. and over the last week I have noticed that my pistils have been turning a darkish brown, black and dying back, or simply emerging as a blackish nub of a hair. This is occurring on both strains(which have never displayed this before) but more so on the NYCDxSweet Tooth #3. The new growth around the buds seems to be an abnormal golden color and the leaves are wrinkled, leathery and some are cupped up and some are curled under. All the other leaves, roots, and stems on both strains appear wonderful, vibrant, and healthy, w/ fan leaves reaching skyward daily. Growth of both plants and buds seem as good. or better, than ever. Except...there has been some light bleaching. I am in a 3'5"x3'5" area w/ limited vert. space so I have my 600w HPS only 5 or six inches from the top of the plants. It is glass encased and vented by 435 c.f.m. in-line fan. I also have a small fan moving air into the space. The temp. never gets above 85 or 86 degrees farenheit just below the glass, but I realize that is a lot of light intensity.
I am running an aeroponic system and my nutrient rundown goes like this: 10ml/g Botanicare Powerflower, 10 ml/g Blastoff, 15ml/g Pureblend Original (flower), 10 ml/g Sweet, 5 ml/g Hydroplex (starting on day 15 of flowering), 7 ml/g Hygrozyme, and 10 ml/g 3% hydrogen peroxide (which is approved for use w/ Hygrozyme). P.h. is maintained vigilently at 5.8-6.0. The only thing I have done differently is, last week, at the end of week two, I changed the resevoir (which I do every two weeks, and keep full by replacing water with 10-20% nutrient levels every few days) and sprayed the plants w/ the micronutrient spray, Spray-N-Grow. It was after this that noticed my pistil problem. Could the light intensity caused by my light being so close, coupled w/ being sprayed by drenching mist of water cause my beautiful little white hairs to react so adversely? Is this an external factor? Is this some sort of defeciency or overdose? Stitch...GrowDoc...I need a Ganja Jedi for this one! Thanks for listening

Last edited:

sproutco

Veteran
TNJed said:
my nutrient rundown goes like this: 10ml/g Botanicare Powerflower, 10 ml/g Blastoff, 15ml/g Pureblend Original (flower), 10 ml/g Sweet, 5 ml/g Hydroplex (starting on day 15 of flowering
Sounds like you are dumping nutrients in indiscriminately. Get the net weight off the bottles, total ml in the bottle, % of each element like 5% nitrogen, and ml used. There is a calculator link in my signature below. Go to the bottom of the links page. Enter those numbers. It will give you ppms of each element like 100 ppm nitrogen. Total what each bottle adds like 1 bottle has 50 ppm nitrogen and another adds 25 ppms nitrogen to get your total 75 ppms. Once you get those numbers post them and I will help sort out what is wrong.

Here is an example off the bottle back:
Hydroplex
So... 5ml/Gal will Actually Yield
N 6.25
P 23.5
K 108
Mg 6
Ca 0
S 6
Fe 0
Si 0
No Trace elements

Note the hydroplex numbers on the bottle were in p2o5 and k2o so they had to be converted to the lower number just pure p and just pure k. The calculator makes this conversion for you.

Here is a sample calc screen. Click on it to enlarge. When larger go to the bottom right corner of the picture and you can make it even larger.

Last edited:

TNJed

Thank you! I did as instructed and, based on the chart for strong light, I'm a little off in a couple of places. My readings were as follows: N 81, P 56, K 255, and mg 79. I'm running high in the K and Mg areas. Any further input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. Could this be a K overdose? Edit: low P as well. I added some organic 0-2-0 additive to boost The phospherous. I guess I am going to change my bloom additive to something w/ more P and less K.

Last edited:

TNJed

I changed my resevoir using different amounts and a new bloom booster and end up with N: 72, P: 73, and K: 189. By changing from Hydroplex to Pureflowers (1.25 ml/gal.), and lowering my Pureblend dosage from 15 ml/gal. to 10 ml/gal. That gets everything back in order according to those numbers. However, it strikes me odd that I have ran this exact same formula with these strains before and never experienced anything like it... :confused:

sproutco

Veteran
Check your magnesium numbers. Sweet adds magnesium and no calcium or potassium. You should have a ratio of 4:2:1 potassium to calcium to magnesium. If you have 189 potassium, you should have 95 calcium and 47 magnesium. If you change this, your going to get weird things happening.

TNJed

I changed to a new regimen, switched from Hydroplex to Pureflowers 0-30-20, and went and got some Cal-mag. I spent some time with my products and your calculator link (awesome link, thanks so much!), and came up with a workable combination...I hope. My new numbers are as follows: At wk. 4 of flowering, I have N: 87, P: 90, K: 182, Mg: 62, Ca: 82. This condition with my ladies has my so completely baffled. I have also noticed what looks sorta like blisters, or raised spots on the affected leaves. As I stated earlier, only the buds and area/leaves around the buds seem affected. The fan leaves, stalk/branches, and roots seem very healthy. Another thing I have noticed is that, even though they look weird and fucked up as swimming cleats, the buds do seem to be growing at a good rate. I still have a bad feeling about this grow...I wish I could provide pictures, someone needs to see this!

sproutco

Veteran
TNJed said:
I have N: 87, P: 90, K: 182, Mg: 62, Ca: 82.
Too much magnesium and not enough calcium. Remember 4:2:1 potassium to calcium to magnesium. If you got 182 k, then calcium should be 91 and magnesium 46. 1/8 teaspoon powdered gypsum per gallon of water adds 30 ppm ca. You could add this little amount to what you came up with originally and probably be ok. Your going to get a calcium deficiency with this if you don't add more or change the formula. Be sure to enter net weight and total ml of the bottle to make the calculator more accurate. Sweet, if your using that, adds just magnesium so you might reduce using this in your formula.

Here is a formula using the hydroplex. See if you come up with something similar:

n 111
p 63
k 300
ca 150
mg 73

Per gallon of water:
18.1 ml cal mag plus 2-0-0
13.9 ml hydroplex .5-4-10
no sweet

Last edited:

TNJed

UPDATE!

UPDATE!

After destroying two runs of 14 clones each, and wasting around 9 or ten weeks of grow time, I have finally figured it out! It was my filter bag. I haven't properly cleaned it out in months, and despite the fact that it was nearly black w/ salts and solids, it didn't dawn on me until a few days ago. Boy do I feel dumb! I washed it out w/ hot water and it took around 15 minutes of constant watering and wringing before the drain off became clear. I then soaked it overnight in a gallon of water w/ 30ml of Clearex. The effect was almost immediate. This aeroponic system is my first attempt at indoor growing, let alone hydro. Let me tell you folks, the learning curve has been steep...

Last edited:

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we become better growers, from the mistakes we learn from.

Be shure to share yer lesson learned in the future with others!

i too have had premature pistil death and also weird raise spotting like perferated bumps. I still have not figured it out yet but has happened on last two grows only thing changed was ferts will be changing back. I think it could either k ca mg thing or a micro def. Let me know how things swing.

HumboldtLove

ive been having this problem now for MONTHS!!!

ive been having this problem now for MONTHS!!!

Sorry up front for no pix. Here we go...I am 21 days into flowering two strains, White WidowxPower Plant and NYCDxSweet Tooth #3. and over the last week I have noticed that my pistils have been turning a darkish brown, black and dying back, or simply emerging as a blackish nub of a hair. This is occurring on both strains(which have never displayed this before) but more so on the NYCDxSweet Tooth #3. The new growth around the buds seems to be an abnormal golden color and the leaves are wrinkled, leathery and some are cupped up and some are curled under. All the other leaves, roots, and stems on both strains appear wonderful, vibrant, and healthy, w/ fan leaves reaching skyward daily. Growth of both plants and buds seem as good. or better, than ever. Except...there has been some light bleaching. I am in a 3'5"x3'5" area w/ limited vert. space so I have my 600w HPS only 5 or six inches from the top of the plants. It is glass encased and vented by 435 c.f.m. in-line fan. I also have a small fan moving air into the space. The temp. never gets above 85 or 86 degrees farenheit just below the glass, but I realize that is a lot of light intensity.
I am running an aeroponic system and my nutrient rundown goes like this: 10ml/g Botanicare Powerflower, 10 ml/g Blastoff, 15ml/g Pureblend Original (flower), 10 ml/g Sweet, 5 ml/g Hydroplex (starting on day 15 of flowering), 7 ml/g Hygrozyme, and 10 ml/g 3% hydrogen peroxide (which is approved for use w/ Hygrozyme). P.h. is maintained vigilently at 5.8-6.0. The only thing I have done differently is, last week, at the end of week two, I changed the resevoir (which I do every two weeks, and keep full by replacing water with 10-20% nutrient levels every few days) and sprayed the plants w/ the micronutrient spray, Spray-N-Grow. It was after this that noticed my pistil problem. Could the light intensity caused by my light being so close, coupled w/ being sprayed by drenching mist of water cause my beautiful little white hairs to react so adversely? Is this an external factor? Is this some sort of defeciency or overdose? Stitch...GrowDoc...I need a Ganja Jedi for this one! Thanks for listening

OMG i have been having this problem for MONTHS!!! i cnat for the LIFE of me figure out what the problem is but reading your post... i also use hygrozyme which is weird. i use soil and this has been destroying my crop OVER and OVER and i cant figure out why!!!!

eric2028

Veteran
hard to say for sure without pics. sounds to me like u have broadmites. they are microscopic btw. check out the broadmite sticky thread. good luck!