What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stalk rot?

Tangwena

Veteran
I am hoping someone can identify this cancer or whatever it is.
These plants are about 2 weeks old and I noticed one had fallen over this morning.
When I stood it up it separated from the root section.
I noticed a fibrous section where all the stalk had withered away and died.
I took the branches and am trying to get them to strike as clones.
I also noticed the second plant had what looks like the same thing starting.
Can anyone help with the cause?

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

WelderDan

Veteran
It's called "damping off." It's caused by several different pathogenic fungi. most commonly in cool, wet environments/conditions.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Pythium or general slime.

Damping off is certainly accurate.

Rinse with eight milliliters three percent hydrogen peroxide per gallon of nutes and get a fan on them.

Consider a dehumidifier as well.

WelderDan

Veteran
Increase airflow to the grow area, let your medium dry out more. I discovered it the first time I tried DWC. I increased airflow and lowered the water level down to the bottom of the net pot. Never had it again after that.

Tangwena

Veteran
Increase airflow to the grow area, let your medium dry out more. I discovered it the first time I tried DWC. I increased airflow and lowered the water level down to the bottom of the net pot. Never had it again after that.
You nailed it my friend the only thing I have done differently is have the pots in a saucer of water.
All the things you listed in your causes are spot on and exist with this grow.
Thank you for your quick answer I may yet save the sole survivor.
Now I will just enjoy this extreme high I'm on thank you brother.

WelderDan

Veteran
Looks like you should get enough good cuts off that plant to ensure at least one or more will root and you will still get to experience that plant. Glad I could help.

Tangwena

Veteran
Looks like you should get enough good cuts off that plant to ensure at least one or more will root and you will still get to experience that plant. Glad I could help.
You know what they say about great minds. It was the first thing I thought of after your post.
Thanks again my friend.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I agree with the previous statements - some kind of damping off fungus.

Now to the cause...

That's a beautiful plant, however you need to get rid of that carpet.

No cloth, no unvarnished wood or anything like it needs to be in a grow room. They are harbingers and nutrition for all kinds of fungi and bacteria.

A grow room should be either painted with chalk (anti-septic) or lined with plastic or some light reflecting material.

No mats, no rope, no stakes.

UPDATE

There is so much stuff on the floor that it looked like carpet. I would also get rid of the bamboo stake. Even outdoors they do seem to get infected with some kind of fungi. Indoors air exchange is even worse. Tip: if you give your plants more potassium (K), you don't need stakes. The Potassium makes the stem and branches much thicker, which also helps to get more nutrients and waste products to the buds when flowering starts.

Tangwena

Veteran
Foot note to my fuck up it has turned into a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
After letting the existing plant dry out the rot seems to have halted and the plant is thriving.
A bonus is that the six wilted branches and the growing tip have all taken in the cloner which has been on 12/12 so I haven't lost anything as they are all growing and continuing to flower!
Now my problem is a good one in that I have too many plants in flower ha ha.
Thanks to all who gave advice you guys saved my grow respect to you my friends.

Mick

Veteran
Hey Tang, are you sure something hasn't been gnawing away at your plant? This year, for the first time, people around here have had their plants fucked by something eating the outer layer of the stems and branches. Must be the hundredth monkey effect.

Tangwena

Veteran
I dont think so because of where my grow box is its not the sort of place they can get too plus no droppings or anything.
It occurred just above the level of the soil the pot soil was saturated when I removed the saucer heaps of water drained out way to much to be healthy.
Now its back to the usual way I grow everything seems fine.

I have been growing in that box for over 6 years the only things I get are white fly in the summer so I dont usually grow from January to March and dont have a problem usually.
The only thing I was doing differently was the saucer plus its winter here so cool and moist all the things that were mentioned as promoting such problems.

The proof of the pudding as they say is in the eating or in this case the growing and the little darling is thriving again right back on track.
The only problem I have now is 7 clones all flowering ha ha. Its hard to see a down side.

These are Aces new release Purple Honduras x Panama fems so once they get all sexy I will start a dairy I cant wait to harvest them ha ha.

They already smell fantastic slightly different structure and aroma on each plant but the leaves look identical.

Lucky thanks to the experienced helpful folks here it was remedied before it was to late.
Thats true brotherhood isn't it together we can do anything.

Mick

Veteran
I dont think so because of where my grow box is its not the sort of place they can get too plus no droppings or anything.
It occurred just above the level of the soil the pot soil was saturated when I removed the saucer heaps of water drained out way to much to be healthy.
Now its back to the usual way I grow everything seems fine.

I have been growing in that box for over 6 years the only things I get are white fly in the summer so I dont usually grow from January to March and dont have a problem usually.
The only thing I was doing differently was the saucer plus its winter here so cool and moist all the things that were mentioned as promoting such problems.

The proof of the pudding as they say is in the eating or in this case the growing and the little darling is thriving again right back on track.
The only problem I have now is 7 clones all flowering ha ha. Its hard to see a down side.

These are Aces new release Purple Honduras x Panama fems so once they get all sexy I will start a dairy I cant wait to harvest them ha ha.

They already smell fantastic slightly different structure and aroma on each plant but the leaves look identical.

Lucky thanks to the experienced helpful folks here it was remedied before it was to late.
Thats true brotherhood isn't it together we can do anything.

Awesome you got it sorted.
The new release Ace sound super interesting. I grew 3 Ace girls this year and the one Golden Tiger I have is amazing. Takes me to these crazy, weird and wonderful places that I've never experienced before on weed. Got a GT cob that is 2 weeks today that I'm hanging to try on Sunday night. Got a big weekend of mountain bike riding planned for the weekend and I can't ride for shit for 2 days after consuming some Ace gear, so gotta wait for Sunday night:)

Tangwena

Veteran
Ha Ha I cant drive for shit either after only like 0.2g of any of the cobs I made from Aces gear so I know where your coming from ha ha.
You have got to try the Malawi x Ethiopia man I got the regulars and they kick ass.
Just as strong as GT but way more lunatic energy it makes me the man I want to be ha ha.
Unfortunately its also the man others would rather I was not if you get my drift ha ha.
I get up to all kinds of shit I wouldn't otherwise get up to, you know the skies the limit ha ha.

QQNPK

Ha Ha I cant drive for shit either after only like 0.2g of any of the cobs I made from Aces gear so I know where your coming from ha ha.
You have got to try the Malawi x Ethiopia man I got the regulars and they kick ass.
Just as strong as GT but way more lunatic energy it makes me the man I want to be ha ha.
Unfortunately its also the man others would rather I was not if you get my drift ha ha.
I get up to all kinds of shit I wouldn't otherwise get up to, you know the skies the limit ha ha.

Heyy that sounds like the kinda stuff i wanna smoke when not totally melted into the couch :biggrin::tiphat:

therevverend

Veteran
You can treat the infected area with rubbing alcohol to kill the infection, then smear antibiotic goop on it to keep it clean. I get a lot of stem rot in my area outdoors, when I catch it early and treat it I don't lose the plant.

Mick

Veteran

"""""""""""""""""Just as strong as GT but way more lunatic energy it makes me the man I want to be ha ha.''''''''''''''''''''
Hahaha, too funny.
A riding mate has some Ethiopian seeds that he'll do a swap for. Don't know anything about it but sounds promising.