What's new

plants selected for ambering trich unintentionally?

clearheaded

Just wanted to toss an idea out there. May go for alot of old info we got influencing plant selections. anyway, because harvesting amber trichs is fairly ubiquitous particularly for middle experienced growers which perhaps is majority? May be un intentional selection for ambering trichomes, or plants that do it sooner or at a certain time in terp/flower development

follow along and see if may make some sense.
1 plant develops amber trichomes a little sooner and matches up with the best time its terpene profile is peaking particularly alot of monos still there, perhaps in younger trichomes. may mean this plant leans a little more to an affy WLD type.
2. this plant tends to very slowly push ambers and even though trichomes arent the "classic" ratios of amber to be "done" it is harvested and taste is not there even though extra time was given to get amber trichomes...

#2 may have been great if followed the general rule and may get tossed after 1 run because of lack of taste however if was harvested a week earlier with no ambers if may have been great..

Do u think there has been a slight selection by accident for faster ambering plants and perhaps help leed to muddier effects in general for alot of cultivars?

while yes expert growers who are working with a few cultivars very exlusively will know when to harvest. But during a sift you likely arent going to grow that particular cut again so would basically be selecting for faster ambering trichomes or ones at the very least that match closer to peak terpenes. maybe even for longer trichomes that mature/die a little sooner while leaving the others at there higher monoterpene levels or whatever terp having significant flavor/effect?

Also when harvest is obvious at perfect point would likely get better reviews by esp new growers etc etc promoting those varietys.

Just know most of us have seen those plants that dont amber and end up leaving too long and flavor likely has deminished dispite majority being plasticy and/or clear. which may be more prominent in NLD types?

anyway, food for thought, and maybe an extra tiny part of why afgan types may be selected for by accident in hybrids.

J-Icky

I had a commercial (most likely Mexican but don’t like to say Mexican bag seed since it’s origins are truly unknown) bagseed plant that I let flower for 10 weeks. It’s leaves And growth structure led me to believe it to be a hybrid. Also by all accounts it was 2 weeks past being done flowering. The fan leaves had died off, stopped bid growth, either new or fattening, and all pistils had gone brown. But for some reason the trichomes just wouldn’t turn. Maybe only half had turned cloudy but for the most part they stayed mostly clear. After week 9 it started to throw nanners and the only reason I can think it did that was that it was pat mature, hadn’t been pollinated and yet was still being forced to grow.

It was also my first run under COB LEDs so at first I thought that was the reason. Thought maybe the lack of any kind of IR and UV kept the trichs clear. But after reading this and other forums saw that others weren’t having that issue. I also learned my next run( I can only run 1-3 plants at a time) that COBs will amber thichs just fine.

So it was just one of those plants that for whatever reason just didn’t want to amber up it’s trichs. The potency wasn’t anything special and as could be expected it was a mental, speedy, paranoid high that sadly was dominated by paranoia and not so much creativity.

clearheaded

do u feel the smell/terps deminished aswell since went too long? although sometimes find that "paranoia high" from early plants however never heard a reason and not sure if just lack of the tiny bit of cbn or other minor binoids or terps. had more paranoid feelings from older cbn buds myself. early perhaps having more sugars etc in teh buds make them harsher which to me really sets the tone for the high. harshness. anyhoo off topic.

so what do you think about the possibility of plants unintentianally being selected for earlier browning trichomes or trichomes that match up(or closer) with the peak monoterp content.

igrowone

Veteran
i'd say early amber may be a trait selected for intentionally
early amber means early ripe, at least to many

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I read a old growbook that said some plants will go from clear to clear Amber then to cloudy Amber. Skipping the cloudy white stage
This could be an error but I believe that level of "amberness" is strain dependent ( like everything else)

J-Icky

The plant I had the wouldn’t amber up didn’t have the strongest terp profile. It certainly wasn’t “loud” in the scent department. A light lemon dominant with hints of skunkiness.
Once chopped it turned to that typical wet hay smell but once completely cured the light lemon skunk smell returned.

igrowone

Veteran
I read a old growbook that said some plants will go from clear to clear Amber then to cloudy Amber. Skipping the cloudy white stage
This could be an error but I believe that level of "amberness" is strain dependent ( like everything else)

i've see a few clear amber type plants
definitely exception not rule, but they're around

Latest posts

Latest posts