What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Identifying cause of abnormal growth.

Tokesworth44

I recently popped 5 purple kush seeds from Crop King Seeds, 4 are growing healthy and as I would expect, but one right off the bat looked odd to me. All growth is coming in slower, and almost drier than the others? The leaves are curling downwards, and feel dry to the touch. Tried misting with water for a few days, no luck. What irks me is the other 4 are doing great.

PH is at 6.5, using promix soil. 45w LED, about 10" above it. Plants are about 2 weeks old now.

Anyone have any ideas?

al70

Veteran
wow she looks weird, heres a pic of a plant with fungus gnats, it looks something like yours, keep it away from the others until you find out a little more, goodluck.

Attachments

• ii.jpg
    ii.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 19

Tokesworth44

Yeah, I treated it with insecticidal soap and diatomaceous earth on the soil just as a preventative measure 2 days ago. This growth pattern began right away though so I know it is not a side effect of over spraying. It's kind of bumming me out man.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Snip a curly top and examine the undersides of the leaves under a minimum 60x magnification.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like nitrogen toxicity. Feeding them at all? What soil? Nutes?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I recently popped 5 purple kush seeds from Crop King Seeds, 4 are growing healthy and as I would expect, but one right off the bat looked odd to me. All growth is coming in slower, and almost drier than the others? The leaves are curling downwards, and feel dry to the touch. Tried misting with water for a few days, no luck. What irks me is the other 4 are doing great.

PH is at 6.5, using promix soil. 45w LED, about 10" above it. Plants are about 2 weeks old now.

Anyone have any ideas?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78125&pictureid=1884247&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78125&pictureid=1884246&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78125&pictureid=1884244&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Magnesium deficiency or lockout.

I hope you're not growing them on that cold, stone floor. :) If you are, they need something to stand on - a crate, shelf, anything. Cold roots will most definitely lockout magnesium.

Also, the top of the three plants looks like it started to flower, at which time they need more magnesium and phosphorus (and space through repotting or hilling up) to expand their root system).

First impression from the photo, is that it's magnesium lockout because of a cold floor.

BTW lockout means that you shouldn't give the plant more nutrients, because the magnesium is still in the soil, it just doesn't get taken up by the plant.

Tokesworth44

No I keep them in my tent, just took them out to take a picture. They stay at a steady 21 C. Have not fed them anything yet, first feeding was yesterday actually. It just grew like that from seed, all other factors were consistent. I'm a little stumped, can't find any other examples of it. I did end up pulling it, and looked at the leaves and undersides for bugs or damage but found nothing :thinking: Oh well, not a huge loss. Just wanted to satiate my curiosity and know what I did so I can avoid it later. I have a feeling it was just the genetics?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is your tent sitting on that COLD floor?
The tent will not provide much insulation from it if it is.

Hit the floor (underneath a container) with a laser thermometer, if you've got one.

Ambient air temps don't do much to warm the soil if the container is constantly heat-sinking to the floor.

Tokesworth44

The tent is on carpet, which is over under carpeting and then concrete I'm assuming.

I have one round of GG4 almost done and a second round flowering in another tent, both on are on the same floor and no issues so far in those strains. I was told this PK strain likes it a bit warmer though.. I wonder if that would do it then?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
The tent is on carpet, which is over under carpeting and then concrete I'm assuming.

I have one round of GG4 almost done and a second round flowering in another tent, both on are on the same floor and no issues so far in those strains. I was told this PK strain likes it a bit warmer though.. I wonder if that would do it then?
I hate to restate myself, however it is magnesium lockout. They just need something to raise them off the floor.

I've seen it many times in my own grow. It is especially pronounced when you also filter your water (i.e. filter out the magnesium and calcium along with everything else), and when the plant goes into flowering.

They'll be fine.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Don't pack your soil!

Don't pack your soil!

I see this a lot when it comes to 3 pots looking good but 1 is problematic! Looks like to me a hot spot in the pot due to not being mixed thoroughly! If you do not mix the soil well, you can get a accumulation of aggregates which will will cause problems with nutrient uptake. Even cause lockout! Tumble your soil for about 20 or 30 minutes. Whats also very important is oxygen in the soil between the aggregates between watering!!! Don't Pack your soil ever!!!!

mack 10

Veteran
Could be a mutant?There's always one that hates everything.
Might grow out of it yet.
Like said a above.
Separate her, she how things go.

Or bin it and move on.

Latest posts

Latest posts