What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Boulder Dispensaries - Tumbled Buds? etc.

X

xavier7995

Lol, that is a good description. Carts are great when traveling or around big groups...but yeah, cant say i would reach for one under normal circumstances. The nice thing is they are still a bit of a novelty since they dont get used that often, so they get me plenty high.

The tins are pretty cool packaging. I usually hate pre-weighed bags, but those get a pass.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Making a return trip to Boulder next week, and have a few questions.
Last year, we had an interesting visit, and hope to improve on some aspects of the experience. ( Including the fishing, but that's on us. )

First and foremost, have retail prices gone down along with the wholesale market? That would be a pleasant surprise.

Are there any shops that regularly offer higher quality, properly grown and cured buds? "Flash-dry" taste was an issue.

At virtually every shop we visited the bud appeared to have been tumbled. There were no trichomes visible on the surface, and when asked, the tenders claimed it was all "hand trimmed" ... which didn't answer the question, and in fact, deliberately evaded it. Does all the retail bud look like that? ( After more than four decades of growing, we're not easily fooled. )

If all the retail bud is "that way" can anyone recommend two or three shops that consistently beat the competition with either quality, selection, or price?

Any particular strains? ( The posted THC percentages are taken with a grain of salt ... especially since there are no standards for measurement, and THC is the only cannabinoid listed. )

We've seen "house brand" strains listed. Are any of them really bred or just high yield, re-labled commercial stuff?

One thing we've had no experience with is vapor-pens, and the liquid cartriges. Are there any "brands" that stand out?

Thanks for your time & attention.

G `day HTCA

Take your own loupe or USB microscope .
If you don`t like the look of the herb move on till you do .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

G `day HTCA

Take your own loupe or USB microscope .
If you don`t like the look of the herb move on till you do .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

The differences we saw were obvious even without a loupe.

Several retailers had clever containers with built-in magnifiers.

Those same containers had sealable openings for smelling the herb.

Given the bone-dry humidity, it probably helps quite a bit.

Asked about that atmosphere, one dispensary indicated that the storage rooms for product contained humidifiers to help slow any degradation.

As for the quality of the vapor cartridges, we haven't tried them yet, but strongly suspect that the extracted THC/CBD/ Cannabinoid content of shake and stems are a close match to that of the original plant/clone/bud. Perceptions of "quality" are as much an esthetic choice as anything else.

Smell can be an especially deceptive qualifier. Decades ago, an enterprising doofus tried to make "sinsemilla" out of Midwestern ditch weed. After pulling out all the males from a wild patch as soon as they showed, the remaining plants became sparkly and odiferous. Looked good, smelled good, but did absolutely Nothing for your head. Zero. Nada. It was a "natural", "organic", burn-bag!

Hydro8

I notice here in Colorado dispensaries with big jars by the time the jars get down to the bottom the buds are usually dry. If you want stuff with some moisture look for full jars.

The big jars look cool and impressive behind the counter but for product storage they are not good.

MF Grimm

The differences we saw were obvious even without a loupe.

Several retailers had clever containers with built-in magnifiers.

Those same containers had sealable openings for smelling the herb.

Given the bone-dry humidity, it probably helps quite a bit.

Asked about that atmosphere, one dispensary indicated that the storage rooms for product contained humidifiers to help slow any degradation.

As for the quality of the vapor cartridges, we haven't tried them yet, but strongly suspect that the extracted THC/CBD/ Cannabinoid content of shake and stems are a close match to that of the original plant/clone/bud. Perceptions of "quality" are as much an esthetic choice as anything else.

Smell can be an especially deceptive qualifier. Decades ago, an enterprising doofus tried to make "sinsemilla" out of Midwestern ditch weed. After pulling out all the males from a wild patch as soon as they showed, the remaining plants became sparkly and odiferous. Looked good, smelled good, but did absolutely Nothing for your head. Zero. Nada. It was a "natural", "organic", burn-bag!

Yeah that was hemp man. But you got some nice CBD from that!

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Morning all. I haven't been to a dispensary in Colo in years. I hear good and bad.

Black market is the place for good quality buds if you know your way around imo.

Dispensaries are turn and burn operations. Bugs, pesticides and green pot there for the taking.

If you reach out to the marijuana community you can always find a boutique grower here.

One thing I can't or have no desire to do is infused flavor in oil. I don't risk bho,,,,I do produce killer bubble hash tho.....

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Just one more quick thought....no paper work when you go to a black market vendor....plus taxes and not actually seeing the grow itself.

Lots of boutique growers will show you how they grow and the products they use. The only pesticide I have used in years is Spinosad...I use it fro thrips in veg. I get them from my soil. No bugs ever make it to the flower tent.

Did anywhere stand out/anywhere you would recommend people go?

It's much too early to say ... .

One place we didn't return to was The Farm.

A "corporate" outfit, their bud had been seriously tumbled ( to my eye ) last time around. In addition, they were picky about "rules" and insisted on putting your name right there on the container. Screw that.

Scheduling on a visit can be an issue as well.

There are limits for daily purchases.

Basic bud limit is an oz., but fractions figure.

For instance, 4 edibles, plus 1/2 oz. = daily limit.

etc. etc. ... be prepared.

In addition: keep your mouth shut!

If the staff hears Anything about carrying, mailing, or in any way taking weed out of state, they are Required by law to terminate the transaction.

X

xavier7995

It's much too early to say ... .

One place we didn't return to was The Farm.

A "corporate" outfit, their bud had been seriously tumbled ( to my eye ) last time around. In addition, they were picky about "rules" and insisted on putting your name right there on the container. Screw that.

Scheduling on a visit can be an issue as well.

There are limits for daily purchases.

Basic bud limit is an oz., but fractions figure.

For instance, 4 edibles, plus 1/2 oz. = daily limit.

etc. etc. ... be prepared.

In addition: keep your mouth shut!

If the staff hears Anything about carrying, mailing, or in any way taking weed out of state, they are Required by law to terminate the transaction.

Lol, my dad was out here to visit a while back and started to ask about flying home. I was able to nip that convo in the bud, cracked me up, that poor budtender didnt know what to do. I thought we were going to get bounced like saying "bong" in a headshop after operation pipedreams.

X

xavier7995

Lol...that post does not appear to have gone as planned. Yer internetz broke.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
So.....was trying to post a pick and I made a mess.....can't seem to edit so could a mod pleas delete this mess....sorry....this button that button.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I think I have this figured out.

This is why I do a dry trim. You can't do this with a machine or even sheers.

Dispensaries don't sell product like this.....the dank is in the details.

picture.php

X

xavier7995

Looks nice man, very clean trim job. I leave mine kind of gnarly looking until they go in the grinder.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Thanks. Keep in mind that gnarly stuff (sugar leaves) is full of chlorophyll and is harsh. I trim with fly tying scissors. Keeps the old stoners that are friends of mine away from the dispensaries and the phone ringing....:tiphat:

X

xavier7995

Most definitely, sugars get plucked off as needed at time of consumption. The vast majority is for personal use, but i discount like a mofo if someone is good with the rough cut, a trim as nice as that would be a decent amount extra. Will snag a pic for comparison later tonight if i remember.

mayorofthdesert

up in foco i shop only at natural alternatives, the bud is well kept, even the out of house grown guest strains at $240 a zip. not overly dry. i'll usually grab 4 quarters & really like 3 of them. tons of concentrate choices starting at like $20/gram.

Latest posts

Latest posts