What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can't figure out problem - losing my mind!!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Also it looks like there are a lot of plants crowded around your weed. They may be stealing nutrients or reduce airflow. Some leaves look like either mildew or leaf septoria. Microbial issues are usually the result of 1) environment and/or 2) nutrients.

Slipnot

Stop blindly trying to fix the issue your only compounding the problem byb adding all this stuff
Do this check for insects First and foremost chances you have them contrary to popular belief healthy plants attract insects more then unhealthy plants. only thing is they can defend themselfs better then weaker plants
You have a bug issue if leafs are dropping and it appears the tops are starting to get infected also

secondly dig up some soil and do a simple test on ph and ppm

Attachments

• IMG4409.jpg
    IMG4409.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG4410.jpg
    IMG4410.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 6
Stop blindly trying to fix the issue your only compounding the problem byb adding all this stuff
Do this check for insects First and foremost chances you have them contrary to popular belief healthy plants attract insects more then unhealthy plants. only thing is they can defend themselfs better then weaker plants
You have a bug issue if leafs are dropping and it appears the tops are starting to get infected also

secondly dig up some soil and do a simple test on ph and ppm

I've done this. pH of soil came back at 7.3

The plants I used the powered milk/gypsum on are looking somewhat better. Just did some folier feeding today as well.

Brewing a guano tea right now with the correct pH range currently so we'll see how that works wendsday

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flan,

Realize what pH means, it means that you have more element than you can hold. The problem is you don't know what you have.

The water having a high pH makes things tough. Can you get a hold of some citric acid?

Everyone needs calcium. Hard to miss with that recommendation even though a lot often disagree.

So much easier with a soil analysis.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hey all. Hope everything is well.

So this year I have a guerrilla grow going with 16 plants (northeast). Strains are blue widow, dutch delight, ams, blueberry headband, and a few others.

Dug holes (20 - 25 gals each) and filled them with an organic mix in April (pro mix, happy frog, perlite, kelp, bone, and blood meal, tomato tone, gupsum and some greensand) Plants were started inside April 20th, put into holes around may 5th. Plants were sprayed with neem oil first every week or 2, then azatrol twice, then sm-90 a few times.

So, about 2 months ago I started to see these yellow spots appearing on some of the lower-mid leaves on only a few of my plants. Leaves would then turn yellow and die. This shit is pretty much throughout my entire garden now, some plant's have lost a ton of their lower leaves. I thought it was maybe a N def, so I top dressed with blood meal about a month ago. Didn't help. Last week I made a 1:1 mixture of high n guano and high p and top dressed each ond with 4 tablespoons. Checked on them today and it didn't help at all? Plants were drenched with a AACT 2 times a week for the past month as well (guanos, bio weed, compost, molasass) didnt help either..

They are definitely getting worse. A few of my plants are starting to lose that healthly dark green color and change to a pale green.

It's getting to the point now when I'm getting extremely frustrated when I go to check on them... I've tried everything I can think of however nothing seems to help...

Could it be a pH issue? I thought you don't have to worry about pH with organics?

Please is anyone has any input at all I'll be grateful. Hopefully pics do it justice.

Thanks.
You should water in small amounts of magnesium lime. You can spray epsom salts on the leaves before the lime takes effect.

This is typical magnesium deficiency in early flowering. The thick looking leaves (sometimes they have a blue-ish or very deep green look), the lack of chlorophyl in the leaves, the fact that it starts in the middle of the plant.

If you're outdoors, perhaps you have low ppm/ec water too, which can lead to magnesium/calcium etc. deficiency. Same with filtered water.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're outdoors, perhaps you have low ppm/ec water too, which can lead to magnesium/calcium etc. deficiency. Same with filtered water.

I totally agree to foliar on Mg, but usually a Mg deficiency happens for a couple of reasons.

1. Too much Mg in the soil. Yep, the more you have, the less available to the plant as the soil starts holding water and nutrients start stacking up, leading up to in many cases, salt problems.

2. Too much K, blocks Mg.

3. Too much K and Na, "".

4. Not enough Ca, when Ca is low, everything is off. It is the base, it is the white background behind every beautiful painting...

Glad to hear the Ca is helping....

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flan,

How about an update? You going to send in a soil sample to see what is really happening and how far off the rest really is?

Due to account issues I wasn't able to give any updates -- here's an extremely late one by about 6 months lol.

So that mystery disease I encountered last year I wasn't able to fully correct before harvest. However, the lime/gypsum treatment Slownickel suggested seemed to help quite considerably. Definitely think it may have been a Mg deficiency (TanzanianMagic)

May start a grow journal for the hell of it this year - I probaby will start germinating in a week or two

Some pics from last year;

Attachments

• 20161001_202112.jpg
    20161001_202112.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20160912_192531.jpg
    20160912_192531.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20160917_191825.jpg
    20160917_191825.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20160920_003228.jpg
    20160920_003228.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170320_152425.jpg
    20170320_152425.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 4

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hey all. Hope everything is well.

So this year I have a guerrilla grow going with 16 plants (northeast). Strains are blue widow, dutch delight, ams, blueberry headband, and a few others.

Dug holes (20 - 25 gals each) and filled them with an organic mix in April (pro mix, happy frog, perlite, kelp, bone, and blood meal, tomato tone, gupsum and some greensand) Plants were started inside April 20th, put into holes around may 5th. Plants were sprayed with neem oil first every week or 2, then azatrol twice, then sm-90 a few times.

So, about 2 months ago I started to see these yellow spots appearing on some of the lower-mid leaves on only a few of my plants. Leaves would then turn yellow and die. This shit is pretty much throughout my entire garden now, some plant's have lost a ton of their lower leaves. I thought it was maybe a N def, so I top dressed with blood meal about a month ago. Didn't help. Last week I made a 1:1 mixture of high n guano and high p and top dressed each ond with 4 tablespoons. Checked on them today and it didn't help at all? Plants were drenched with a AACT 2 times a week for the past month as well (guanos, bio weed, compost, molasass) didnt help either..

They are definitely getting worse. A few of my plants are starting to lose that healthly dark green color and change to a pale green.

It's getting to the point now when I'm getting extremely frustrated when I go to check on them... I've tried everything I can think of however nothing seems to help...

Could it be a pH issue? I thought you don't have to worry about pH with organics?

Please is anyone has any input at all I'll be grateful. Hopefully pics do it justice.

Thanks.
Looks like they hit mid-flower and ran into the usual extra need of PK and Mg.

I know this was last year, however if his occurs again, just feed with ripening and a magnesium source like epsom salt. Not a lot, just an addition to their base nutrients (which are already in the ground in this case).

They need a base feed (say 5-5-5) and then extra nutrients depending on their phase of growth. Which should be:

Seedling: p/k
Vegging: n
pre-flowering: P, Mg
mid-flowering onwards through ripening: K

BMG

If you use Promix or Happy frog outside I would assume that you would have to PH the water for that medium until your roots hit The Earth's soil and then it can accept regular rain water.. Just my 2 cents

BMG

Don't loose your mind, it's just a very expensive weed and also you tend to make more mistakes when you're not thinking straight!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Please is anyone has any input at all I'll be grateful. Hopefully pics do it justice. Thanks.
It looks like typical magnesium deficiency in early flowering.

From the earliest pre-flowers showing up onward, cannabis needs a boost of phosphorus and magnesium.

From mid-flowering onwards, it needs a boost of potassium.

CalMag, Maerl or magnesium lime, espom salt (MgSO4).

I think a foliar spray solution of epsom salt would be the quickest acting.

Cannabologist

Veteran
This is a funny thread.

The plant in qtuestion looks like it has a hos of deficiency; most prominent is Mg, but also N and K are deficient, and likely micronutrients like iron. The recommended course of action would be a soluble fertilizer drench with adequate levels of all elements added slowly to correct deficiencies.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks again rather lately for all who offered advice

Flan,

Your P was low all along the way. Quite clear in the photos.

When you see what looks like a Mg issue, quite often it is a P problem. Only apply Mg foliarly. It works just fine.

Latest posts

Latest posts