What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

65 gal or double up 100's?

Which do you think would be better?
Why?

Single plants in a 65 gal smart pots?
OR
Two in a 100 gal smart pot?

Originally wanted to do 100 gal each but....
Started pricing soil and additives, filling 24 100's becomes pricey real quick. I am constructing a greenhouse at the same time so I might not have the budget to go with all 100's.
Hence the question. Trying to get all my ducks in a row for spring.

vostok

Veteran
picture.php

You need to see 'our' member mendo420 but I'd be putting just one plant per kiddie pool
more here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=282876&highlight=mendos

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Not trying to be a smart ass, but WHY even use smart pots?

Why not just put your girls right in the ground? My outdoor secret garden spot holes are about 65 to 85 gallons each...
just add your own compost and other organic ferts as needed each year....

ApolloAK

Why not just put your girls right in the ground? My outdoor secret garden spot holes are about 65 to 85 gallons each...

Plant stays cooler, better air circulation to roots, ect.

It has to be pots
I'm "leasing" the land. The owner is cool with the grow, his only stipulation was that I used pots and "not tear up the ground". Otherwise I'd just build giant raised beds.

Them kiddie pools would be nice just not sure if they'd be a nice fit for my grow this run.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Plant stays cooler, better air circulation to roots, ect.

If that were true, wouldn't 100 million years of evolution have created smart pots for every plant growing in the wild?

However, the OP has given a good reason why he must use them..

Holistic Farms

One plant per 65 for sure typically 1-2 can be epected and 2-3 with a single planted 100. I have never had much luck with double planting. If you are buying fresh soil you shouldnt need to amend it with anything. Check out Vermi Fire if your in CA its good soil ready to go and available in bulk 125-150 yd. Good luck.

Thanks
I'm going to shoot for all 100's
Just wanted to plan for contingencies and get a few opinions

I'll check out the vermi fire
That's a nice price per yard

mk6

well for one thing no digging, and you need a back hoe cuz I aint digging, and then theres the moles lol so you gota line the holes with screen without it falling while you fill-m lol with the smarties just fill-m and your good.