What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHO HAS THE OLDEST CANNABIS SEEDS?

rootcap

i have lots of old seeds that my brother start to collect in the early 90's. he never grew anything, just used to collect the seeds from the buds he used to smoke - all mixed up.
as you can understand i took over hes stash... :dance013:

the only problem is the seeds are very old and kept in the worst condition they could ask for... lol

anyway, now i'm trying to break their dormancy to see if it's even possible after all this time... but as far as i can see it is possible... i still got another month to go with the test. worst case i'll try gibberelic acid.

here's the stash.... :tiphat:

DSC01760.jpg DSC01761.jpg

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
To be honest I have many different Cannabis seeds that are over 1000 years old, as well as 8 seeds from the Pazyryk Scythian tombs, 2400 years old, from the leather pouch in the grave, given to me by the Hermitage Museum.
I tried to get some of the Chinese 2700 year old seeds, but never did. Even Ethan Russo does not have any, although they did try to sprout some with no luck.
I am interested in really old and dead seeds as well as old but alive. The best way to keep seeds over 20 years is by freezing, although keeping cold in a fridge will last 10+ easy.

What is the oldest anyone has sprouted and grown a plant?
I have many seeds over 20 years under freezing, they all still grow.
I have grown many seeds that were just kept cool at +4c for 20+ years and I got 5%-95% germination, I was surprised how well they did, more then half were in the 50%-95% range.

-SamS

Sam, stop beating around the bush and just tell us how old are the oldest seeds you got? origin?

:chin:

I could have had nice pre-80s colombian seeds, but I was completely unaware of the value of those seeds in the future and was just a 'lil dipshit lol

Last edited:

rootcap

To be honest I have many different Cannabis seeds that are over 1000 years old, as well as 8 seeds from the Pazyryk Scythian tombs, 2400 years old, from the leather pouch in the grave, given to me by the Hermitage Museum.
I tried to get some of the Chinese 2700 year old seeds, but never did. Even Ethan Russo does not have any, although they did try to sprout some with no luck.
I am interested in really old and dead seeds as well as old but alive. The best way to keep seeds over 20 years is by freezing, although keeping cold in a fridge will last 10+ easy.

What is the oldest anyone has sprouted and grown a plant?
I have many seeds over 20 years under freezing, they all still grow.
I have grown many seeds that were just kept cool for 10 to 20 years and I got just a few to grow normal plants, out of many many.

-SamS

damn i'm jealous...

do you have any recommendation how to bring dormant seeds back to life ?

Happy 7

My Grandpa who was a fiber hemp farmer in the late 1930s selected and bred his own seed stock. He stored seeds in vacuum sealed jars in his cellar (~5°C). We tried to germinate (outdoors in soil) a few handful in the late 70s. A couple of thousand seeds yielded less than 20 plants.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Sam, that's insane!

thank you for sharing that info with us, it makes me happy to see how deeply involved you are with the whole cannabis world. we need more people like yourself.

k+

peace!

growhi

i seem to have the opposite problem that allot of seed hoarders have , i feel like im missing something if i don't pop my seeds , there is no way i could keep seeds for years and years , that does not appeal to me most are poped within 6 months of buying , lifes for living , and seeds are for poping :)

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
When will be the ancient hemp seed museum be open??? :blowbubbles:

Oldest seeds i have in possession are from 1995 some hemp varieties and some mixed sativa x skunk.

Keep on growing :)

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
old seeds have a hard time punching threw there husk ,
the old sand paper in the match box trick works good to thin the husk so its much more easy for it to punch threw husk , little diluted B1 can help to..

Any seed i grow no matter age , i put in fridge or freezer before i grow them ..
i try to fool them and make them think they have gone from winter to spring ..
"ie" long term freezer , all others fridge

Green Supreme

Veteran
Anyone have any thoughts of soaking the beans in hemp oil, then trying to sprout? Just wondering if it would give them the juice back they need to start. Peace GS

rootcap

hey sam, i got wonder...
can you share with us your technique of germinating old seeds or dormant seeds ?

i belive lots of people over here is same like me. own lots of old seeds that where kept in horrible condition and having trouble to germinate them now.
i know there's a lot of techniques people are talking about, and actualy i'm trying some by myself, but still, it always nice to hear some advice from an old expirienced cannbis grower (and in our case - one of the cannabis masters...).

hope to get some info...

slshemup

try the pyramid method alot of 2000 year old corn,wheat seeds and some others have been germinated that way.clean old seed in a pyshan 20 or simular solution for an hour prior to
germination to kill any bacteria,disease spores etc as alot that crack get an infected root tip and die of straight away or within a few days of sprouting.dont have your medium to wet as well.freezing prior to germinating can help shock them to sprout. pyramid method is make a small pyramid frame out of plastic straws or wooden skewers, germinate seeds in the frame.seen plants grown in pyramid frame weirdly enough they grew bigger and better yeild than the others of same strain they had near them not in a pyramid frame.a few old hippies i know use the pyramid method.

budseyeveiw

i dont see how a pyramid frame would make the seeds grow anybetter?

ive found this thread facinating. i dont have anything old but i have a friend who does. some people are better of keeping seeds if you grow in an illegal area

slshemup

I dont know how the pyramid frame does anything a bit mystic to me though seen the difference with my own eyes. archaeologist have found certain seeds stored in ancient pyramids for thousands of years that were still able to sprout plus a few other unexplainable facts in regards to pyramids.if you do a bit of research on google you may find some info.

slacker

i had some sk #1 seeds that were real old and it took 3 weeks before any started to sprout and the ones that grew started out real slow. i bet if someone wanted to they could find some old ones in the heater vent where i grew up.

budseyeveiw

I dont know how the pyramid frame does anything a bit mystic to me though seen the difference with my own eyes. archaeologist have found certain seeds stored in ancient pyramids for thousands of years that were still able to sprout plus a few other unexplainable facts in regards to pyramids.if you do a bit of research on google you may find some info.

how rediculous.

whats unexplained about the pyramids?

WelderDan

Veteran
I lugged a bunch of beans around for 6 or 7 years in a film cannister. I popped a couple (local mex/colombian homegrown x afghan) and got a super fine lady I grew out on the back porch of the condo I lived in. That was over 20 years ago, but as I recall, seeds went straight in the dirt and sprouted within 2-3 days without any special treatment. No one believed that weed was grown on my back porch.

Tom Hill

Veteran
how rediculous.

whats unexplained about the pyramids?

That we might entertain the possibility that aliens and egos had nothing to do with it,,, that their entire existence and purpose may have simply been to store things properly. And that this reason alone would be sufficient enough indeed to have warranted their construction. -T

Latest posts

Latest posts