What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anyone grow Moreton tomatoes

Midnight

Veteran
The Moreton tomato is supposed to be an early maturing indeterminate tomato that will have ripe fruit before 4th of July. I have grown the ramapo tomato which is another Rutgers University tomato and am curious how the moreton grows and if it really does give ripe fruit before 4th of July.

This is a picture of my Ramapo's that I grew. The plants got so big I had to prop up their cages with pvc and boards.

picture.php

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
“the July 4th tomato”

“the July 4th tomato”

I've grown a variety of Rutgers Tomato before, nice and meaty half pounders with great flavor as I recall...

The Moreton I see was a state of the art gourmet eating, early producing Hybrid "back in the day."
It sounds like your quite likely to have those desirable early tomato's by American Independence day (July 4th).
Good luck with your "tahmaters".

IMB :)
Moreton Tomato Description:
70 Days. Although it is not a firm tomato, it is known as a tomato connoisseur’s favorite.
Its large, meaty, delicious fruit mature early. It has an oblate shape and rich red color.
Its indeterminate vines do best on stakes or trellises and produce over a long period.
Resistant to Verticillium."

The Return of the Moreton F1 Tomato ...
or the Case of the Missing Parent Seed

Rediscovering the Jersey Tomato is a Rutgers NJAES project with a mission to refocus research and extension effort on the "Jersey Tomato flavor" New Jersey is famous for.
Part of our project includes identifying excellent eating tomato varieties that were well-adapted to our growing conditions and commercially grown by New Jersey farmers back in the tomato glory days of the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s.

Bringing back the Rutgers’ Ramapo F-1 tomato fulfilled part of the mission for the mid- or main season, but one variety does not a Jersey Tomato make. Jersey tomatoes are a portfolio of varieties that do well under our climatic conditions in a different range of soils and ripening at different times of the season. Ramapo is one among several other tasty varieties maturing mid- to late season. There is a problem with main season maturity, according to Jack Rabin, Associate Director for Farm Programs at Rutgers NJAES. The New Jersey tomato season commences in early July, when thousands of anxious consumers are waiting for their first juicy bite of a Jersey Tomato. With a lack of a tasty early season variety, the portfolio is missing its opening act.

Enter Joe Musumeci of Eastern Seed Services, a New Jersey seed processor and Rutgers ag graduate, who is handling Rutgers Ramapo tomato seed sales to commercial growers. Growing up on a South Jersey tomato farm, Musumeci recalled the early season variety that Jersey Tomato growers referred to as “the July 4th tomato”. The Moreton F-1 tomato was Harris Seeds’ first F-1 hybrid release in 1953. “For 6 to 10 years”, says Musumeci “it was Moreton – probably the first hybrid grown on a large scale in New Jersey. Moreton was a soft tomato and was eventually replaced by Red Pack which was later renamed Pik-Red which had less cracking, but didn’t have the flavor of Moreton.”

Musumeci knew Harris Seeds had discontinued the production of Moreton F1 hybrid seed. He contacted Harris about the Rutgers project and about re-introducing Moreton seed. Harris provided Musumeci with the Moreton parent line seed.

But, what happened to Moreton that took it out of production? According to Mark Willis of Harris Seeds, Harris Seeds was sold to another company and in 1991 when the New York facility was shut down and its stock seed moved to California, one of the Moreton parent lines was lost.

Back in their New York facility, around 1994, a former Harris employee showed up with a Ball jar of seed he purchased from the auction of the Harris Company. The seed was the missing parent line of the Moreton tomato. And, according to Willis, as the story goes, the lost seeds were traded in exchange for a life-time supply of fava bean seed. Reinstated around 1995, Moreton tomato was produced until 2004, when large production was no longer profitable.

Musumeci found a seed grower to produce a small batch of Moreton that is being reintroduced in 2009 in a cooperative agreement between Eastern Seed Services, Harris Seeds and Rutgers NJAES. http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/MoretonTomato.htm

Midnight

Veteran
I've grown a variety of Rutgers Tomato before, nice and meaty half pounders with great flavor as I recall...

The Moreton I see was a state of the art gourmet eating, early producing Hybrid "back in the day."
It sounds like your quite likely to have those desirable early tomato's by American Independence day (July 4th).
Good luck with your "tahmaters".

IMB :)

Great, thanks for the info.

Midnight

Veteran
Update - these tomatoes are supposed to produce ripe tomatoes by the 4th of July. Today is the third and as of yet, no ripe ones but there are tons of green ones. I think I nuked them with to much nitrogen and it's causing lots of leaf growth.

Moreton Tomatoes - 05/28/11
picture.php

Moreton Tomatoes 06/29/11
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts