What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

help with maxibloom

i think i need some help with this maxibloom im feeding half strength some 1 week old clones and there getting brown and yellow nut defs on the bottom fan leaves.

im growing in botanicare coco 5kg bails drain to waste. the strain is chronic in 8 5 gallon buckets of coco vegging vert with 2 400 watt hps.

i water every 3 to 4 days or untill the top of the coco starts to dry out i water the whole bucket and not just around the stem with alot of run off with a ph of 6.3.

my tap comes out at 125 ppms and im thinking i dont have enough cal or mag. So iv orderd some H&G drip clean and will be adding this to the res.

anyone have any suggestions?

Hereward

I'd definitely try running a lower ph, like 5.8, and probably add some cal-mag. Remind me how many grams per gallon would half strength maxibloom be? I know maxibloom is relatively quite low on nitrogen, so at least in veg I'd be liberal with the botanicare cal-mag or a similar product, so you get help with your nitrogen level in addition to the oft-needed cal/mag boost. How large are these clones now?

Green lung

Veteran
make sure you are not over watering/de-oxygenating your coco.

Week old clones will take some time for the roots to "explore" 5 gallons of coco.

If you lift the the bucket and its heavy don't water even if it looks dry at the top, the top is the fastest to dry out so it may look dry on top but in fact the coco is saturated below.

I'm going to bet that when you lift your buckets they will be heavy as hell

pretty sure 5 gal buckets is a bit big for coco, but id def get that ph down between 5.6 and 5.8, and id water daily with maxibloom at 7 grams per gallon...probably even 2x a day.
coco is not like soil more watering is better.
watering actualy brings more o2 to the roots and exchanges the old nuts and water out with fresh, this is why watering more is better.
good luck.

read up on gratefulh3ads grow if you think ur underwatering, please believe this is not the case, ur nuts are concentrating as water evaps from your coco, u need to bring the levels back in check and make the nuts more available.
i might want to repot them in smaller pots just so im not wasting so much water and nuts as well.
peace.

Hydropimp

Veteran
Maxi is like lucas

So a plant that is 10 inches and under needs ½ strength

10 inches and bigger gets full strength

What is the alkalinity of your water source?

Since your light is a 400 you need to hit them with full strength.

my tap comes out at ph 7.4-7.6 most people say they dont have to ph down there tap after mixing the maxibloom but i still have to add ph down.

another problem im having is 3 of the 8 clones look like there 2 weeks into flowering even under 24 hours of light. each day they put on more hairs.

good advice here..

i have been testing the KISS method with Maxibloom a while in Coco, running that and an organic side.

my recent experience with Maxibloom :

Unless your water has a decent Cal Mag content, make sure you use
Cal mag if you use maxibloom at less than 1tsp per gallon. ( strain dependent )

I used to use much less than 1 tsp per gallon, as I thought they were getting too dark green ( sativa )..but i had some nute issues.
I switched it up to 1tsp per gallon and 3/4 tsp Calmag per gallon and the plants look great...like others have said..some tip burn, dark green, but dank and very good bud formation.

In veg..i switch it up with a higher Nitrogen nute ( pure Blend quasi organic veg ). The strains i have seem to grow better with that than just maxi bloom in veg.

Just finished one Super Skunk test run..and the buds were actually big and fuller than previous, Floranova. Quite impressed..and i'm too old to be impressed by a 6 bottle formula. I even stopped Liquid Karma for that run and there was little difference compared to plants that got Liquid Karma.

But..it all comes down to strain and environment.

Rooted Small Clones....

just bottom feed 1/4 to 1/2 strength, plus a tiny bit of Calmag and don't give them anything until they get semi dry again..this is very important..if you keep messing with them..they will sit, with cool wet coco and stall.

2 thumbs up for the KISS thread, and Maxibloom for the budget grower...excellent results

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Step away from that bucket...

Step away from that bucket...

and don't give them anything until they get semi dry again..this is very important..if you keep messing with them..they will sit, with cool wet coco and stall.
An excellent suggestion.

I have found that the initial filling out of 5 gallon/20 liter "Hempy" buckets (containers in general) with the plants roots can be a real challenge with fully moistened "wet" coco.
I try to make big buckets roots attempt to go all the way to China or at least to the large deep buckets built in reservoir by allowing the coco to dry out a bit and "go light" initially.
The perlite in the Hempy's reservoir (by default) is generally "moist" but empty (poured out) of nutrient solution during this period of initial root growth/expansion.
Obviously, by literally picking up the bucket slightly one can tell where they stand moisture retention wise (>/<) much more so than say just staring at it. ;) :)

I'm loving on the price, simplicity and quality end results using Maxibloom, it's as easy peasy as it gets...
The MaxiBloom and a Hempy style medical bucket rather easily and cheaply can give even absolute beginners (as well as seasoned growers) consistently good to excellent end results, that you gotta love.

I would highly recommend this style of setup to any of you would be new medical growers in recently liberated areas that are perhaps clueless as to how to become self sufficient in providing their own medical requirements

Good luck with your grow,

IMB :)

Last edited:
good idea to repot, but what have u tried? did you try feeding daily if not 2x a day?
a good friend of mine was just having same problem as you and took my advice and saw results within a day and is back on track feeding daily 2x look at my plants i feed 2x a day.
peace.

i dont think it matters how much i feed i thank my problems is a cal and mag not enough in my tap water. the leaves are turning brown with yellowing and drying out and dropping full fan leaves every other day.

they will be dead by this weekend if i dont stop it.

i dont think it matters how much i feed i thank my problems is a cal and mag not enough in my tap water. the leaves are turning brown with yellowing and drying out and dropping full fan leaves every other day.

they will be dead by this weekend if i dont stop it.

never heard of plants dying due to calmag deficiancy, but you try your way good luck.

Xerhoss

my tap comes out at 125 ppms

Might wanna go R/O sys as well. My tap is under 30ppms and i'm not noticing any issues, but i wouldn't be comfortable feeding them with tap water that's reading that high.

Good idea to go to 1 gallon pots for 2-4 weeks and let the root structure fill in before going larger also.

Green lung

Veteran
My tap water is much higher than that and I have no problems all the way through

It not cal mag, it not your water, its not maxibloom.

Remember you are using the KISS method.

Keep it simple.

If you look at the bottom of your 1 gallon pot and don't see nice pretty white roots shooting out the bottom of the pot, That means your medium is saturated and the roots are not exploring the pot, which I believe are causing your problems, and when you keep adding more water you are just making it worse thinking its calmag, maxi.

I have the same problem with a particular strain of alaskan Ice, I have to water very consertivly when they are young because they tend to stall in saturated coco, took me little bit to figure it out but is was certainly from the over saturation of young poorly rooted cuttings.

Did you ever lift your pot? was it heavy?