What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ticket for Possession

dwreck

Hey all, first time I've been in trouble with the law, ever. I am looking for advice and what to expect on my court date.

The Skinny
This happened in the greater Los Angeles area. If you are caught with weed, it is a misdemeanor if less than an ounce.

The other week I was smoking in my car and I had to take a piss, so I stopped, left my door open, and went to do my business. Next thing I know a cop comes out of the alleyway and shines his light at me. He tells me to put up my hands and asks me if I have any weapons, I did not, so I said no. So, he checked me and made me sit on the curb while he investigated my open car. I hadn't stowed my pipe and it was in plain sight. He notified me that he saw it and asked me if I had anything else that shouldn't be there. I told him I had weed in the car -- at this point I was sort of frazzled and dazed, so I went with the truth. He thoroughly searched my car, tore everything out, found the drugs, all the while asking if there were any needles or other drugs. I told him no, because all I do is smoke weed, and all I had. It was less than an ounce, so I knew I couldn't go to jail over it. He and another officer chatted and took their time filing out paperwork/making calls to dispatch. They kept asking me numerous times where I worked and what the address is, where I went to school, where I lived.

One of the cops later told me that I had 2 choices: 1) go to jail for 2 days and have my car impounded, or 2) have a citation and court date a few months later for the misdemeanor. Since I had work the next day (and I'd just started working there), I couldn't miss work due to jail time and risk my job being revoked, so I chose the latter. Could he do this to me or was he just messing with me? I thought I couldn't go to jail, but perhaps he meant the charge against pissing in public.

What I've Found
I did some proprietary research and found that since it was just personal use (without a club card) that the record of this incident can be dismissed or expunged given I pay the fine and go to a center to get a "certification of rehabilitation." Also, under California Health and Safety Code Sections 11361.5 and 11361.7, all possession for personal use convictions are erased from my record after 2 years. I've never had any run-ins with the law, I've only gotten parking tickets in the past.

Questions
1. What is the best route for me to take?
2. Do they notify my work (temp agency or job site)? I'm working for a temp./staffing agency that previously did a background check and currently temping for a large corporation until the end of the year. I'm really worried about this.
3. The ticket says "misdemeanor," but a friend tells me the infraction is a little less serious since I live in California, and weed laws are more lenient in the LA area. Can someone clarify this?
4. What is the best way to prevent family members from finding out about this? I still live with my parents and this would cause great turmoil amongst us.
5. I'm worried about future employers doing background checks and finding out that I have an ticket for possession. Will they be able to see this on my record before the 2 years pass?
6. What sort of questions should I be prepared to answer in court?
7. What forms (if any) do I need to request/fill out prior to my court date?

Closing
Sorry for the lengthy, wall of text post for only a misdemeanor. Like I've previously mentioned, I've never had any sort of run-ins with the law and am worried about what is to come. Keep in mind, the only people that know about this are my girlfriend and my closest friends, and I intend to keep it that way.

dusto2k3

Well, in San Diego they dropped my posession charge to Disturbing the peace and fined me $90.

They don't wanna foul up peoples records with needless drug charges. You will probably even be going to traffic court as well.

Getting caught pissing in public can end up getting you registered as a sex offender as well, be careful.

G

Goodkarma

Infraction

Infraction

Arnold signed the law recently making it an infraction if under an oz.
If you could prove who you are, you are to be cited. Not arrested.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
This cop wanted to be a dick to you, and he certainly pushed it as hard as he could. He could not of taken you to jail (unless you can be jailed for pissing in public)

First the shit you already know but should be said- If you are a smoker and live in Cali, you should have your 215 card. If you smoke AND grow in Cali, as it looks like you do, you'd be real dumb to not have your card. So go get your card, today or tmrw. Not just for the future but for ur court appearance. Seriously.

In terms of the legal stuff, your fine. Your current work will not find out about it.

On the day of your court appointment, dress nicely, shave, etc. Go to court with the ticket and your 215 card. Judges in LA have much bigger things to worry about then this stupid charge and odds are they will help you out so practice the following points because they don't like long winded speeches. Just get the facts out.

-State that you've never been arrested or gotten in trouble before in your life.
-Apologize for peeing in public. Say that you had to go really bad and will never do it again.
-State that you have your 215 card and would like this charge to be dropped.
-Do NOT state that you got the card after the fact. If the judge ASKS you if you had the card at the time of your incident, state that you had just started a job and had to save up the money to pay to get the card and you acquired it the same week it happened. Obviously you were qualified for the card the entire time but didn't have the funds to pay for it, now you have it, so you should not be charged with possession.
-Ask for confirmation that you can have it removed from your record.

So take a deep breath, your totally fine, it will either be fully dropped or you will have to pay a fine. Not a big deal at all

David762

Not to be a stickler on details, but ...

Not to be a stickler on details, but ...

Arnold signed the law recently making it an infraction if under an oz.
If you could prove who you are, you are to be cited. Not arrested.

CA SB 1449, which reduces simple cannabis possession of less than 1 ounce in public, goes into effect on 01 January, 2011. In conservative areas of California, like Orange County & San Diego especially, I wouldn't put it past LEOs to enforce current laws to the fullest. ;)

If I were you, I would follow headiez247's advice, above. Best of luck!

i would have to agree with headiez on this one. hell where i live u might just get a ticket for a court apperance or hauled off to jail for few hours,then deal with probation for abot ayear with random drug testing. thats why one day i want to be able to move to a medical state. its stupid that our government locks people up and convict us for a plant that is so beautiful to look at during its grow cycles and benificial for man-kind... bastard politicians can kiss my :moon:

The Bling

youll go to court and offer to do n hourly wage equivalent of community service to the $100 fine you will be given 3-5 hours if your nice just admit you were wrong to be smoking in public and you are very remorseful and you would prefer to do something that adds value to the community then you find a stoner who runs a nonprofit to sign-off on your hours.

Speaking of, did you all hear that Pat Robertson, (christian Broadcast Network, ran as president when the Christian Coalition first started), has come out saying that the sentences for pot are ridiculous. Of course, then CBN made a statement saying he's not condoning drug use, BUT for someone from the ultra right wing to say what our govt is doing makes no sense is a step in the right direction.

G

Goodkarma

CA SB 1449, which reduces simple cannabis possession of less than 1 ounce in public, goes into effect on 01 January, 2011. In conservative areas of California, like Orange County & San Diego especially, I wouldn't put it past LEOs to enforce current laws to the fullest. ;)

Wait til your court date is past jan 1, then let it get lost in the shuffle. It will be dismissed as long as you don't get in line with the people pleading guilty and stay in the line of people fighting it. First offense, and they could have search issues....dismissed unless you volunteer a guilty plea.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Best route for you to take is SPEAK TO A LAWYER.

I hope you didn't sign anything with the police? Good..

Since possession will only be a civil infraction (same as a speeding ticket) after jan 1st, I would wait it out. It shouldn't be a problem either way.

Getting arrested is SCARY, esp if they take you in for prints/ID check. But no worries, the laws on paper are way more serious than they are in court, unless you have priors or it's a crime involving violence.

Here in NY first time misdemeanors are let off w/ a warning (shoplifters need to take a "stoplift" class) and charges dropped if you're not arrested again in 12 months.

Employer will ONLY see a "GUILTY" conviction. Meaning you pled guilty or were found guilty in a court. A citation, appearance ticket, arrest, etc are not seen in background checks.

can they call your job? Probably, but they're usually just scaring you unless you're ON the job. i.e., you're a pizza delivery guy/gal and you're smoking while working.

The big issue here is, why the hell aren't you carrying a card?

Pissing in public is a misdemeanor as well, at least where I live. Don't commit crime while committing crime.. nothing in plain view.. car should never be open if you're not in it. NOBODY is allowed to search your shit without probable cause or a warrant.. you broke a lot of rules here.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
how adorable, babies first bust... ;) :D

how adorable, babies first bust... ;) :D

Marijuana Possession (Not on School Grounds)
In California possession of 28.5 grams or less of marijuana can lead to a $100 fine, but will not result in incarceration, if the scenario doesn't take place on school grounds.

Possession offenses are expunged from the record after two years under Health and Safety Code Sections 11361.5 and 11361.7.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Governor Schwarzenegger signed into law a bill that will reduce the penalty for marijuana possession from a misdemeanor to a non-arrestable infraction, like a traffic ticket. (as of January 1st, 2011.)
That's no small matter in a state where arrests for marijuana possession totaled 61,000 last year -- roughly triple the number in 1990.
It's widely assumed that the principal reason the governor signed the bill, which had been introduced by a liberal state senator, Mark Leno, was to undermine one of the key arguments in favor of Prop 19.
Their will be no Misdemeanor conviction for you, count on an infraction on your brand new record, have your hundred bucks ready to pay 'em on the way out of court.
Best route for you to take is SPEAK TO A LAWYER.
Very good advice, I second that, try to avoid the conviction.
The Cali courts will be applying Arnolds infraction law (retroactively, I predict) as standard operating procedure very shortly now, everything will be okey dokey for ya, don't sweat it.
...feel lucky you live California, it's still a felony for possession of any "usable amount" in many other U.S. states.

The moral of the story: discretely pee in a bottle or cup and then casually pour it out/dispose of properly ;) to avoid public indecency charges (now that's a real criminal charge that will haunt you for life, unlike an infraction.) :)
If your female, I don't know what to tell ya except "Good luck with that cup". ;) :)

IMB :)

Last edited:

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
yep, you wont get into court before new years anyways so you're set.

Jan 1st the new law goes into effect, I'm not sure about the "commited the crime before the law was passed" however if you stood infront of a judge and didnt look/speak/act like a total fuckup, you'll walk with the infraction and NO misdemeanor I'd imagine. If they try to be hardasses about it, mention the 'spirit of the law' with current changing legislation etc.

I got a possession ticket on 4/20 a few years back, ironically I had my first appointment to get my MMJ rec later that week. So technically I was in the exact same position, illegal possession of <1 oz with no mmj rec at the time. I showed up at court knowing worst case scenario was the fine/misdemeanor (this was years ago mind you) and it didnt even get picked up by the DA, they just dismissed it even without me saying anything or proving any mmj defense, just dropped.

dont worry about lawyering up really, I hear people say it a lot but for a simple possession of <1 Oz in Cali? dont waste your money.

good luck

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
you do NOT need to laywer up for a possession charge...just use your public defender.

go get your medical marijuana script in the meantime as your court date wont be until april or summer lol.

dont worry about it...even if you do end up getting charged you can get misdeameanors expunged off record.

dwreck

Thanks for all the responses people! I feel more informed about the matter than before. Couple more questions:

Wait til your court date is past jan 1, then let it get lost in the shuffle. It will be dismissed as long as you don't get in line with the people pleading guilty and stay in the line of people fighting it. First offense, and they could have search issues....dismissed unless you volunteer a guilty plea.

Sorry, but could you clarify? I don't fully understand what you meant by your last sentence.

!!! said:
I hope you didn't sign anything with the police? Good..
The only thing I signed was the misdemeanor ticket, which states "WITHOUT admitting guilt, I promise to appear at the time and place indicated below."

One thing I forgot to mention is they took my picture. Dunno if that's a big issue or not.

yes4prop215 said:
you do NOT need to laywer up for a possession charge...just use your public defender.

How does this work? Is there a public defender just going to be at the court on my court date? Sorry, but I really don't know much about the court system...

I don't think I'm going to get my own lawyer.

David762

I wonder if he has a close relative in trouble?

I wonder if he has a close relative in trouble?

Speaking of, did you all hear that Pat Robertson, (christian Broadcast Network, ran as president when the Christian Coalition first started), has come out saying that the sentences for pot are ridiculous. Of course, then CBN made a statement saying he's not condoning drug use, BUT for someone from the ultra right wing to say what our govt is doing makes no sense is a step in the right direction.

Reverend Pat Robertson is a rather old dog to learn new tricks. This is the guy with extensive commercial operations in Africa, who blamed 9/11/2001 on abortionists, atheists, and teh gays, AND called for the assassination of President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela.

I welcome Pat Robertson up onto the pro-cannabis band-wagon, so he can add his voice to the chorus -- but don't expect me to sit down next to him and share a spliff.

MrPuff

This cop wanted to be a dick to you, and he certainly pushed it as hard as he could. He could not of taken you to jail (unless you can be jailed for pissing in public)

First the shit you already know but should be said- If you are a smoker and live in Cali, you should have your 215 card. If you smoke AND grow in Cali, as it looks like you do, you'd be real dumb to not have your card. So go get your card, today or tmrw. Not just for the future but for ur court appearance. Seriously.

In terms of the legal stuff, your fine. Your current work will not find out about it.

On the day of your court appointment, dress nicely, shave, etc. Go to court with the ticket and your 215 card. Judges in LA have much bigger things to worry about then this stupid charge and odds are they will help you out so practice the following points because they don't like long winded speeches. Just get the facts out.

-State that you've never been arrested or gotten in trouble before in your life.
-Apologize for peeing in public. Say that you had to go really bad and will never do it again.
-State that you have your 215 card and would like this charge to be dropped.
-Do NOT state that you got the card after the fact. If the judge ASKS you if you had the card at the time of your incident, state that you had just started a job and had to save up the money to pay to get the card and you acquired it the same week it happened. Obviously you were qualified for the card the entire time but didn't have the funds to pay for it, now you have it, so you should not be charged with possession.
-Ask for confirmation that you can have it removed from your record.

So take a deep breath, your totally fine, it will either be fully dropped or you will have to pay a fine. Not a big deal at all

I got possession 7 months ago in SoCal. They offered to drop it to disturbing the peace and a $215 fine. I showed them I got my card 2 months afterwards and they dropped it all.

Even if they don't drop, you still have your card and don't have to worry again.

Latest posts

Latest posts