What's new

Easiest/cheapest way to insulate my reflectors?

_whiteroom_

I am leaving my girls all alone for a couple days and am still not fully automated as far as temps go. Need to insulate the reflectors on the outside with something NOT fiberglass because as I get closer to harvest I would like to keep the room super clean.

As a test I insulated one reflector with R6 insulated duct wrap before we had any plants in the room. Taped it up all nice so its like a blanket for the tops and sides of the reflector. Should have done it to the other lights, but now its too late.

So, I need an alternative. Lighter and thinner the better. Tried reflective polystyrene foam, but its too brittle and annoying to work with. The reflectors are basically 1/2 of a 22 sided geometric figure. In other words an 11 sided half circle. Need something flexible and easily taped on.

I also have an AC unit in the room that works great, but has to be manually programmed EVERY time you turn it on or off. Can't leave it running 24/7 and can't use a standard power on/power off timer.

It has no brand name on it (looks like the name plate fell off) but it ranges from 61-80 degrees. Has temp buttons, a timer button (which I have to manually set for 13 hours to ensure that it stays on for the duration of the "daytime" and then turns off after everything had a chance to slowly cool down to night temps.), a sleep button (no idea what this does), and cool or fan modes.

Is there anyway to automate this AC unit? Or am I screwed?

Thanks! I have 2 days to get this all sorted out before I leave.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Insulated hoods have come to market...

Insulated hoods have come to market...

I know this doesn't help your problem but perhaps others that feel the need to insulate a hood may be interested in this type of innovative product.
I predict that their will be a big rush to market with competing mega hoods following the leader as related to insulated hood development and promotion..
This product is easy but certainly not cheap.
SunShield Reflector Cover for Magnum XXXL Reflector.
SunShields are sturdy insulated covers that double-insulate your existing air-cooled reflector.
Made from heavy duty wool insulating material, custom fitted to your reflector.
SunShields help reduce the heat radiated off your reflector that would otherwise heat up your growing room.
Helps increase the efficiency of your air-cooled system by trapping heat in the reflector to be carried away by your existing air-cooling system.
This results in a cooler environment. IR blocking, and 95% reflective exterior.
It also known to quiet the roaring air inside the reflector
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wouldn't be putting a wool felt blankie on a reflector (anything for that matter and just leave it and hope it doesn't burst into flames...
but these guys with their insulated hood "blankets" are on to something with this product, especially locales that have extreme summer temps. :)

IMB :)