What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Grower 5 weeks into first grow

sleeplesssmoker

Hi guys, glad to be part of the forum its an abundance of knowledge:)

Im box growing its 48X24X48 its a tight space but we make do with what we have.
I have a mix of things on the go, i have an amnesia haze @ 5 weeks veg, a mine me auto at 3 weeks and some seedlings and some bgm autos @ a week.

Ive been trying out some low stress training on the the amnesia and it working out a treat, i think, the internodal spacing seems perfect to me, but hey what do i know lol...
With the height i have i dont feel i have any other choice, anybody got any feed back on that...??

Have a question about temps too if anyone can help....??
during the current cold spell i switched off the extraction system and relied on positive pressure for venting as im blowing in fresh air ever 45 min for 15. but temps are a constant 30C am irunning it a bit hot..??
Also any solid advice on feeding/watering frequency im very confused by the difference in opinion any advice would be greatly appreciated like i said im new and learning... :1help:

Big thanks to close friends for your help lately guys

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
are you growing in soil? in coco? it matters
are you growing in pots? how large are they?
I don't do foreign temperature conversions 'cause I am a stupid A-merican.

P.S. plant looks beautiful

sleeplesssmoker

Cheers dude im growing in soil its "easy mix" in gray bag from the grow shop designed for vegging plants. nice mix with a nuetral PH...
The white is just perlite to try stop the friggin flies....
Oh yea they come free with the soil apparently...!!!??? lol
Pots are 3" for seedlings, 5" for 2-3 weeks & 7-8" for flowering (if i ever get that far)

And us irish do conversions man....
lol
30C is roughly 86F i think...

oldone

30C is probably your upper limit if you're not adding C02. Probably 25 should be your target. What temps do you see when you run your fan constantly?

Your grow looks sweet!
OO

sleeplesssmoker

Many thanks Oldone first time out prayin for any sort of yield...!!

with regard to temps im seeing a low of bout 20C when im blowing in......
thats timed at 15 every 45min....
Would you recommend a 30 min blow in and monitor the temps..?

just that here in ireland our outside temp has been close to -12C some nights and im in the shed... had to swap over to 24 hr veg light (250CFL) just to counter the violent temp sways....???
What to do my friend..??

oldone

Hi sleepy,

-12 I feel for ya. Much the same here in the Great White North. I had the same trouble as you WRT temps. My exhaust fans are speed controlled so I can dial in the airflow to control temps. You say you have a fan on the intake...what about shutting it off and using just the exhaust? Then you can restrict your intake to admit just a little fresh air. Opinions differ but I read that if the soil container drops much below 12°C the roots dont do so well and growth slows.

Another idea is to position a circulation fan to blow warm air from around the lights down towards the plants. Be careful of low (under 30%ish) humidity.

As for watering advice I had a terrible time in my first run with soil and cold temps. So much so that I switched to E&F. She's almost 3 months old in this pic;

I have read the biggest mistake we junior growers make is over watering. Best thing I can say is that if they dont look like they need it, they probably dont.

Anyway, your first run is a monumental learning experience and I hope you're having fun. I know I did.

Cheers,
OO

sleeplesssmoker

Cheers mate.....
Had a disaster bout a week ago here our temps shifted from -12C to +8C in a 24 hour period....
Checked the box temp was 42C everything was fried.... nearly lost it all had to top everything, set myself back a few weeks anyway:cry:
Still we live and learn...

Came up with a great solution yesterday though...
Hit our local electrical warhouse and picked up a 1/2KW thermostatic controlled mini heater...
I think i might have just eliminated the whole weather element and created a very controllable "micro climate" for $30!!!

I flipped over to 12/12 yesterday and we had -2C outside and Temps in the box were 17C lights off & 25C Lights on... Result..!

Im running constant extraction with lights on and a blown in of fresh air every hour for 15min just so the air dont dry up completely with the heater in...

You have any feed back on that man.....????

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
My brain just doesn't compute temps in centigrade...
picture.php

:smoke out:Wow, that helps. ;) :)
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

IMB :)

oldone

Happy New year!

Sorry to hear about your disaster but it sounds like you've recovered nicely.

I turn my fans off during lights out so Medusa wont get too cold. This is to avoid having to use a heater. Why? Because I'm cheap and dont want to pay for power I dont have to and using a heater will drop humidity and mine's low enough as it is.

I'll be very interested to read of your experiences. Good Luck,
OO