What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please tell methese aren't root aphids! (Pics inside)

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Comparatively similar to some fliers that I had, I got good specimens under 30x mic and I determined mine were fungus gnats. I have looked at thousands of pics of fungus gnats, and and some high rez shots of winged ra's. Mine looked like yours. Plenty of people will disagree.

Honestly though, why not just go on the assumption that you have both, treat the same way whether you chose organic or chemical and develop a stratagem to handle these things on a rotational basis. They aren't going away.

lol must be all the fuckin coir we're getting.... never saw them til I went with a mix with 40% coir seriously though, too many 20+year farmers have told me they've never even come across these.... ever until recently and now they're everywhere.

Who knows.

Now I'm treating everything like I have them. Keep a dunk in my rex, keep azamax and pyganic drench in the rootzone on a rotational basis and then neem/pyreth sprays,

If you use chems, develop your own IPM

Smiley

Fat J

Well, you could always build a big pressure steamer to sterilize all ur medium, build a clean room, adopt strict cleanroom techniques when going into the space, run an ac unit, make all ur own clones in the cleanroom and start from seed that has been quickly rinsed in bleach water before soaking... and use RO water plumbed into the room. Then you never need any pset management strategy ^.^

I also like to use sulphur sprays/burn in veg to prevent fungal issues.

GanjaPharma

they "Y" pattern on the wings is a slam dunk for fungus gnats imo.

thats the unique identifier an entomologist would use and i would be surprised if another similar looking insect had the same veinal pattern in their wings.

schwilly

i agree with albertine. edit: oops, didn't see the second page here.

never had root aphids but i have had a scare before and done some research.

your pics just look like male and female gnats. i've noticed that every once and a while you find a particularly fat female gnat that looks out of place.

if you got a scope for trichs, throw one under there and get a real close look

again, no expert here and i know that there are different species or subspecies of root aphids.