What's new

Please tell methese aren't root aphids! (Pics inside)

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
I've been battling fungus gnats for a bit now that came in my Roots Organic soil, but now I'm three weeks into flower in one tent and although I'm almost positive they are just a little rootbound and myabe touch close to the lights, they seem to be fading early. So after reading the Root Aphid thread I scared myself went down and looked at the yellow sticky traps... and noticed a few bugs on there that seem a little bigger than a fungus gnat. Am I just being paranoid, or are these the devil incarnate?

If they are I am 21days in on minimum 70 day strains. Can I does them with the bayer tree and shrub?

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

T

Tr33

yep, those are root aphid flies for sure. damn SH sorry bout that, they are a pain to get rid of.
Eggs will survive after pots being washed out and all, it's a fight for sure. All it takes is one female to start the whole process over again.

The stripes give them away, and day 20 is when you start to notice them.
Bayer T and S works to get them under control, supposedly last about 40 days in the plants, IDK

rootbound, burning, and phantom Ca/Mg def are all symtoms of RA

Devil Bugs for sure.

vaped

I was impressed by the bayer it nuked them bastards for me. I then bleached my pots and threw away all my coco that I had sitting around. Gone and Ive been checking like a mofo.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
yep, those are root aphid flies for sure. damn SH sorry bout that, they are a pain to get rid of.
Eggs will survive after pots being washed out and all, it's a fight for sure. All it takes is one female to start the whole process over again.

The stripes give them away, and day 20 is when you start to notice them.
Bayer T and S works to get them under control, supposedly last about 40 days in the plants, IDK

rootbound, burning, and phantom Ca/Mg def are all symtoms of RA

Devil Bugs for sure.

Are you positive they are? After reading about fungus gnat identification they have a unique y pattern in their wings. These bugs have that same y pattern.

I'm going to give them bayer fruit and citrus. I'm at day 21 il take everything to at least 70 days. This gonna case any problems?

T

Tr33

They are the same as the pics in the Fungas Gnat and Root Aphid thread.
Those pic's are what I'm going by atm Self. They look exactly the same the tiger stripes on the ab.
Wing pattern is something I didn't look at.
Have you read the RA thread yet?
FoCo knows these guys better than I do, he had them hit his grow, his comments are in the RA thread. I'll stop here, I had a bout with them a few years ago, and when I saw those striped bodies in your pics, and reading the RA thread and those pics in that thread. I don't want to cause you to use Imid with wrong data ok.
I really think they are RA, not gnats.
The RA thread can answer your ? about the 21/70 day thing.
lots contro.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
tree you right around that 50 day mark on the bayer... if you do this you need to do it TODAY.... however you can try boniguard and azamax both safe up to day of harvest and the boniguard suppose to wipe them clean.. ITs 90$ a quart.

sure way to tell is pick up a plant out of its pot and look CLOSE on the roots where they pop out the side... there will be bugs sucking the roots... you may see them crawling around..

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
I can't check roots I grow in smart pots and they are all in a scrog!

I'm just going to dose them anyways.

Now should I do the bayer tree and shrub, the citrus and veggie. OR should I do spectracide as it's not systemic?

And can I get a second or third postive Id of Root Aphids from ya'll??

M

MacGyver420

yes you have root aphids; they are all over CO this summer

get the Bayer Advanced: Complete Insect Killer

imidacloprid................0.72% (aka Merit)
B-cyfluthrin................0.36%

i wouldnt use this on plants that are more than 1-2 weeks into flowering the imidacloprid hangs around a while but is very effective

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
I just bought the fruit citrus and veggie. What rate should I apply into soil? Thank god only two lights are flowering at the moment.

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
put it this way i applied the bayer complete at 180ml per 5 gal bucket... That is the highest ive heard of anyone doing it... so did two of my friends... everything keeps chugging along but i noticed it was harsh on the root hairs... 3 days later the roots explode again though so i didnt mind it....

im not telling you to add it at this strength more that it wont hurt or kill them at this strength

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
How does 10ml/gallon sound? Low? I already bought the fruit and citrus so I'm gonna stick to that. I have to do it today!!

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
check the root aphid threads they give some measurement on how to use it i cannot remmeber off the top of my head.

vaped

I agree with poopy 180ml per 5 gallon of the .72 imid Bayer may sound like overkill but it kills them dead. It has been by far my most pleasant pest problem. Oh shit I have root aphids blasted em with Bayer gone. I hear about the bayer only lasting so long and then you need a retreat on some threads. Plain and simple mixed at a high enuff rate it just wipes em out. The root dammage was scary but after the treatment it only takes like a week at the most for the roots to look brand new.

M

MacGyver420

hey i had good successes with just a single application of the CIK at 5ml per gallon

and even at 5ml per gallon some of my plants got slightly burned by the stuff

(sorry i was really stoned forgot to say what rate to use the stuff)

Albertine

Well, I'm going to go against the flow here and tell you that I don't think you have aphids, at least not the kind I have/hopefully had, which are the tank crawlers with fliers in Spleenbale's thread. Aphid fliers have twin exhaust pipes just like the nonfliers. You can check smartpots by peeling down the sides. With that many fliers you will find them if that is what they are. They will also be crawling around in your trays.
That said, from the pics in google and here it looks like we are talking about more than one species of bug.

the gnome

Veteran
hate to hear it SE, hope you get em under control!
I use FF OF and Ive found a few bugs in their stuff.
its just the nature of the bagged soil biz.

since I say the bugs in OF Ive taken a proactive stance against
this kind of bug infestations.
I pasturize all my soil that come inside @180F
kills live bugs and their eggs.
its really not that hard to do and the peace of mind is worth it to me,
one less thing to worry about.

Fat J

They look more like gnats or some kind of fruitfly... much easier 2 wipe out ^^ FWIW: tobacco farmers use imidachlorpid about 50 days from harvest, the industry accepted PHI for imid is 45 days even for leafy greens. I reccomend following their dosing guidelines on the bottle for application to veggies - based on cubic feet of media to be treated. If yours doesnt have the info packet, ill dig mine out for ya... Dosing at higher rates wont hurt the plant but may signifigantly increase the PHI necessary to have a imid-free end product. There are imid products that protect for up to 1 year... only difference is the concentration of imid.

crippled1

I'll tell you exactly how to tell the difference between root aphids and gnats. It's how I discovered my root aphid problem.
The babies are completely different.
Fungus gnat babies are little worm-like larva that do NOT resemble the adults.
Root aphid babies look like little root aphids.
The day I learned that fact, I suddenly realized why Gnatrol was not killing the gnats I had.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/M/I-HO-MPER-NM.010.html

http://nognats.net/images/gnat_life_cycle_ylnc.jpg

I don't think they are root aphids. The bodies look long and narrow like a gnat. Aphids seem to have a more rounded body.
Find some infants and you'll have your answer.
Lay some potato slices on top of your medium and see what is on them the next day.