What's new

Pre-Strike® Mosquito Torpedo

Rushoe

Been looking around for something that would kill these gnats and I was told to grab some mosquito dunks and had no luck they were all out the lady told me these Pre-Strike Mosquito Torpedo are they same shit just different shape and company what do u guys think?????Gonna play one in my water and let it sit for a day or two before I feed them also was planning to crush one up and placing it on the top soil to get rid of these things I see a few adults already...

Rushoe

I guess I am looking for some input on what the pros think I am sure someone here has used them I wanted to get the dunks but this was the best I could come up with.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
This product is not the same as the BTI "skeeter dunks"

This product is not the same as the BTI "skeeter dunks"

Bti =Bacillus Thuringiensis Israelenis,
Bti spores are eaten by larvae which releases toxins into the insects gut, causing the larvae to stop eating and die.

The Pre-Strike mosquito torpedoes contains an insect growth regulator called Methoprene that does not kill adult insects.
Instead, Methoprene acts as a growth regulator, mimicking the natural juvenile hormone of insects.
Juvenile hormone must be absent for a pupa to molt to an adult, so methoprene treated larvae will be unable to successfully change from a pupa to the adult insect.
This breaks the biological life cycle of the insect preventing recurring infestation.

So besides soil based insect control in home gardens, Methoprene is also used relative to the production of a number of food products including meat, milk, mushrooms, peanuts, rice and cereals.
It also has several uses on domestic animals (pets) for insect control as well as many brands of internally ingested Horse feed supplements that prevent fly's from successfully reproducing in their poo piles.
Pond care products also contain this as their active ingredient, usually labeled as Dimilin, which is another generic chemical name for Methoprene.

Methoprene is considered a biochemical pesticide because rather than controlling target pests through direct toxicity, methoprene interferes with an insect’s life cycle and prevents it from reaching maturity or reproducing."

Myself, I use an insect growth regulator product preemptively during initial grow media wetting ( following up every watering for first two weeks to prevent any possible colony establishment.)

One product that is sold nationwide in the USA is:
"Cutter Backyard Mosquito Control Tablets" that contains the active ingredient "Diflubenzuron".
It is commonly used in forest management and on field crops to selectively control insect pests, particularly forest tent caterpillar moths, boll weevils, gypsy moths, and other types of moths.

The mechanism of action of diflubenzuron involves inhibiting the production of chitin which is used by an insect to build its exoskeleton.
The rate of degradation in soil is strongly dependent on the particle size of the diflubenzuron .
For larger particles (10 microns) the half-life is 8 to 16 weeks (56 to 112 days) and for smaller particles (2 microns) it is 0.5 to 1 week.

I have safely used these Cutter skeeter growth regulator tablets to treat and eradicate heavily infested gardens for both fungus gnats and root aphids. This can be safely used in early flower if required, imho.

I know Imidiclad is quite the rage as far as fungus gnat and root aphid control is concerned but the products half life of 106-193 days in soil turns me off to that product for cannabis production.

To anyone reading this, Good Luck killin' dem bugs, fact is, the bugs can use a bit of luck right now.

"Die you little bastards!, I'm coming for ya" can now be your battle cry.
;) :D

Happy gardening!,:wave:
IMB :)

Last edited:
Hey boggled, thanks for that.

I'm pretty concerned with safe chemicals etc as well and since I've got a gnat problem I'm looking into this issue.

I guess what I want to know is, how does the plant interact with methoprene and BTI? Can the plant absorb these chemicals?

Latest posts

Latest posts