What's new

Tiny white bugs living in my rez!

A

ak-51

Howdy!

My current flowering run right now has 3 individual 5 gallon dwc buckets, each of which has only one plant in it. I am pretty much near the end of flowering so this is not super-critical; i could flush now and be done if I wanted to. This post is mostly out of curiosity.

For at least 3 rez changes now I have noticed these little white bugs in one of the reservoirs, they are all over the surface of the water and some of them crawl up on the side of the rez also! Every rez change (7-12 days) I rinse the rez out really well with hot water and also rise off the roots of the affected plant, but at next rez change there they are again!

They don't seem to be harmful at all, only one rez is infested with them, the other two show no signs of the bugs at all. I have also looked really hard outside the rez and it doesn't seem like they leave it at all, they're not on the lid, they're not on the hydroton, they're not on the leaves, I can see them nowhere except the inside of the reservoir. I see nothing negative about the plant that is affected by their presence; if anything it is the one doing the best!

I tried to take a picture of the ones on the surface of the water but my camera couldn't seem to focus on them. I posted a picture of the ones that were crawling on the side of the rez. I would say that the largest ones are no more than 1.5mm in length max, and that's being pretty generous. I think its more realistic to say that most of them were about 1mm long.

What the heck are these things! Do I actually have something to worry about and I've just been lucky?

I filled out the form in case anybody needs more info, also I removed things that I though would be completely unrelated or redundant.

How long has this problem been going on?
3-4 rez changes or 5-6 weeks.
What system are you running?
5-gallon DWC buckets
What STRAIN are you growing? NYC Diesel
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?) Clone via bubble cloner
What is the age of your plants? 57 Days into flowering
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..) Hydroton their whole life
How tall are the plants? 2.5 ft approx
What Technique are you using?
DWC Hydro w/ Hydroton
What is the Water temperature?
~76-80? unsure
What color are your roots? New root growth is white, older or lower growth is light to medium brown, but this can be written off due to the Liquid Karma use. The roots are not slimy.
What Nutrient's are you using? All Botanicare: Pure Blend Pro: Bloom, Hydroplex, Cal-Mag+, Liquid Karma
How often are you feeding?
Rez change every 7-12 days, always top off with pure water.
What is the pH of the "Tank"?
Try to keep rez in the 5.7-5.8 range.
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equiptment? pretty sure, i calibrate w/ 7.0 solution every time i correct pH.
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients?
Complete rez change every 7-14 days.
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
softish? my ppm meter does not pick up anything.
What water are you using? Tap water, usually aged at least 24hrs with either a pond pump or air stone to aid in burning off the chlorine.
Are you using water from a water softener?
No
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?
Nope, never
Are plant's infected with pest's Only the roots. No pest can be seen anywhere outside of the one rez.

Grigori

Those are springtails. Actually they are not that big a deal, at least not in my experience. They are attracted to organic matter--(pure blend nutes)

Very interesting. I'm having the same exact problem. It just started about 5 days ago. Flushing, and rez changing seems to not get rid of them. As long as they are good, I'm OK with that :)

BTW my stats are pretty close to yours, I'm using hydroton, ebb & flow, same temps, etc.

D

dunkybones

Springtails are mostly harmless. That being said, you don't want things growing in your grow room that you didn't plant. Luckily, springtails are easy to get rid of, just refresh your rez, and wash everything that needs cleaning.