What's new

azamax, spinosad - safe for fresh cuttings?

If a couple thrips are spotted on cuttings, is it safe to dunk them in azamax or Monterrey Garden Spray? I tried to get them all but just to be safe. They're in quarantined right now with a no pest strip but I'd rather actively hunt the little buggers.

ProDope

both have been very gentle in my experience. wouldn't worry a bit about dunking anything in either one. would lean toward the azamax, as I have had much better results with it than spinosad, but both are good.

KyndBud

Absolutely, both will work great for you. I'd dunk with the azamax, then spray the spinosad twice a week for one or two weeks until they vanish. Good Luck!

Peace
KB :joint:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
If a couple thrips are spotted on cuttings, is it safe to dunk them in azamax or Monterrey Garden Spray? I tried to get them all but just to be safe. They're in quarantined right now with a no pest strip but I'd rather actively hunt the little buggers.
overmyhead

For new cuttings I would suggest that you stick with Spinosad and the reason that I say that is because the active ingredient in Azomax/Azatrol type products (i.e. Azadirachtin) is in a very concentrated form these products can definitely cause problems if you do not mix them precisely and exactly.

If you want to include Azadirachtin in your pest management program there are less expensive and far less invasive products that you could use, i.e. neem seed oil and for your cuttings probably neem seed meal tea would be a better option.

Having said that, there are also less expensive ways to obtain Azadirachtin concentrates - Ayurvedic medicine sites sell a very concentrated product for human & animal consumption - it's like 4,500 PPM of Azadirachtin. Regular cold-pressed neem seed oil comes in at 1,500 PPM for comparison.

HTH

CC

Some of the more enlightened medical cannabis clubs offer a bucket of azamax for dipping newly purchased clone/cuttings. It's safe to use and effective.

The vast majority of neem oil products are unregulated and low in azadirachtin. Many are processed with solvents like hexane and are not OMRI listed.

Azatrol and Azamax are OMRI listed and guaranteed analysis.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
I try to only post about things I have personal expierence with, and this is one.
Monteray Garden insect spray worked great on everything from days old seedlings to plants that were just days before harvest, all thrips dead, all plants fine, EXCEPT for one group, the unrooted clones, the one and only batch I ever sprayed(days old cuttings) rooted at about 20%, compared to my normal, almost never wavering, 85-90% rooted.
It was a one time thing for me so I can't say with scientific surity(lol) that the spinosad caused the lousy root rate, but it was the only thing I did different, and the only time it's happened.

All other plants, love the stuff, best thing out there for thrips IMO.

Justa6655321

Veteran
I use azamax all the time in combination with neel oil. Works great and never have had a problem with it hurting anything....

Good for mites also. I've had full mite blow ups that i've sprayed and the plant has made it back

Update:
Well, I dunked them in a mid range foliar dose (.4 oz azamax per quart ) and they all took a turn for the worse, every one of one pheno has leaves turning black and all of the others are droopy. I rinsed them all in lukewarm tap water but am really pissed at myself for not being more patient. They were all very vigorous looking cuts and now look very unhappy. Oh well, lesson learned the hard way and I'll keep updating. Here's a question that's a little off topic but might be my problem, I have them in a daisy cloner with clonex cloning solution at 6.3. I used this ph because that's what the moms were getting and that's what they will be getting in soil. Should I drop it to 5.8?

Last edited:
sorry to hear that!

but that was a pretty hefty dose.

here are recommendations for cutting mix for azatrol which is the same as azamax.
Cuttings:
To protect plant tissue from the very beginning, dunk cuttings in the same solution you mix for the reservoir (1 oz to 10 gal-
lons.) Mix 1 oz into one Gallon of water, and then pour this concentrate into 10 Gallons of Reverse Osmosis water which
you will be dunking your fresh “rooted” cuttings in.

(pdf alert!) http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...j_kfJi&sig=AHIEtbRuzZS-6XYxtXMFg9idHndvS3b_Hw

sorry to hear that!

but that was a pretty hefty dose.

here are recommendations for cutting mix for azatrol which is the same as azamax.

funny thing is, I saw that but figured that I'd look to the foliar instructions for Azamax instead since it's supposedly so benign. Today, I washed them in a mild soap mix and rinsed again. Hopefully this got rid of any residual oil. I'm sure that any leftover thrips are dead though! Hey, at least if I lose some of these cuttings, I don't have to worry about the thrips spreading to the rest of my room! It seems that it was just one strain that was affected and it doesn't have a name.

KyndBud

Bummer! But that's almost double the dose its says on my bottle of azatrol. I'm not sure what the azamax label says for foliar feed, but mine is 1 oz. per gallon or .25 oz per gallon for a full strength solution. Next time I'd go with a .1-.2 oz per gallon and you should be ok for un-rooted clones.

Peace

Bummer! But that's almost double the dose its says on my bottle of azatrol. I'm not sure what the azamax label says for foliar feed, but mine is 1 oz. per gallon or .25 oz per gallon for a full strength solution. Next time I'd go with a .1-.2 oz per gallon and you should be ok for un-rooted clones.

Peace
believe it or not, I think they'll all pull through. It only seemed to really affect one strain significantly but I think they're all alive because when I checked on them they were all drooping terribly but the problem was the sprayer in my daisy cloner got clogged and had probably been so for a few hours, a quick misting and unclogged sprayer and they all perked up within a few hours. Hopefully that's a good sign. And it looks like everyone's starting to get some bumps.

Any that do make it (and I believe all wil) are some tough little plants.

And once they're established I won't (knock on wood) have to deal with any thrips ever again!

well, theyve all got bumps< a little slower than usual but theyre definitely at the point wher they start to explode so hopefully i'm outta the woods!

still struggling - over a month later, and half of them have decided to start to flower - getting 20 hours of light??? I think I just freaked them out beyond belief.

NExt time, I'll definitely back off until they are rooted and follow the azatrol instructions.

ProDope

yup. they already said it last month, but your solution was 4X too strong.
I find azadactrine to be far more gentle on cuttings than actual neem. there is no oil to suffocate them in the azamax/azatrol like the neem oil can do sometimes.

Latest posts

Latest posts