What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaiian Snow issues continue-Help Please!

JamicanDreams

Cant figure out what is going on.

400 HPS
Cool Tube
DWC
Lucas Formula
5.7-6.0 PH
Flowering
65 F night
75 F Day
Fans

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 8

JamicanDreams

More info on the problem below:

How long has this problem been going on? 4-5 weeks
Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents) no
What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...) DWC
What STRAIN are you growing? Hawaiian Snow via Green House
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?) seed
What is the age of your plants? 40 days veg, 41 days flower
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..) Rap[id Rooterr starters and hydroton
How tall are the plants? 2.5' Scrog
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? flower
What Technique are you using? SCrog
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.) hydroton
What is the Water temperature? 65*
What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy? Light brown (due to addition of Dark Energy supplement)
What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless) Lucas with GH, Cal-Mag, Dark Energy
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? 0-8-16 @ 1350ppm
How often are you feeding? (If using soiless) Constant DWC
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients? Lucas add back formula
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect) micros into a gallon of water which gets mixed into the res, then bloom nutes get the same
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using? 1350 ppm
What is the pH of the "Tank"? 5.7-6.0
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equiptment? yes
When was your last watering? NA
What is your water temps? 65*
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional) this morning
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients? 40 days (flowering)
What size bulb are you using? 400w HPS w
What is the distance to the canopy? ~1’ due to cool tube
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)? 25%
What is the canopy temperature? ~80
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range) 75-65
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) 16” Mounted Fan
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? Open Door adjacent to grow plus the mounted fan
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? Not the dayton, but others are
Is your water HARD or SOFT? soft
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? R/O
Are you using water from a water softener? no
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched? Not for several days
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When? no
Are plant's infected with pest's? no

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Thats a pretty strong coctail you're brewing there JD.

Please fix the picture it's not displaying and you've given zero description of your problem so far.

jm420

Veteran
I agree with 10 k.Ive been thinking about doing the hs Its more of a sativa ,1350 seems way to much .are you using 0-8-16 ?If so cut it in half and watch the girls .Im using a 0-3-6 on some thai wich IMO would be a similiar type of growBTW I couldnt get to your pics.Sorry I noticed you are using 0-8-16 way to much.Im not sure about the additive I dont use one . I change out the res every 10 days .IMO cut the nutes in 1/2 and work you way up or down

JamicanDreams

Thanks for offering a suggestion. I will follow you advise on this one because I am plum out of ideas. I understood that H.S. was a heavy feeder 4-5 weeks into flower? Guess not.

Never had these issues with the C-99 or the Apollo-11. Will remit on the results. Again, thank you for your time and thoughts.

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
Have you flushed your system recently? That looks like a k def.....most likely due to fert and salt buildup in your medium. Flush if you haven't then restart nutes.

90% of the time in my grows a k "def" turns out to be a lockout due to fert/salt issues (always a buildup in the medium). The other thing that may cause a k def is very low humidity......how is yours? I will tend to get leaves that look like that that are directly under the light or in the path of a fan which in both cases will decrease humidity to that area.

Hydroton is ESCPECIALLY notorious for "holding on" to extra nutes and salts with it's airy "coco puff" texture. That's one of the reasons I hate it......it's other issue being the needed pretreatment before use because of it's normal ph in the 7's.

But I'm betting a good flush of your system will straiaghten you out if none of the other situations apply.

good luck.

Last edited:

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
Yeah, I can't figure pictures out here either. I just put them in my album and make the poor folks go there to look at them.

RC_Colas

Veteran
Sorry JD, I can't see your photos but your temps need to be upped by 10F both noight/day, and your PH should be no lower then 6.3...with 7.0 being ideal.

Cheers

RC_Colas

JamicanDreams

In DWC I have never seen or heard of anyone having a PH of 7 . . .ever. Also, temp of 80 degrees or more, as I understood it, are not the optimum unless you are using CO2.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
I still think a flush is in order......especially if the issue is starting with the lower leaves and working up the plant. If it was the other way (top stuff burning first) I'd say you had a humidity or heat type of issue.......something burning the leaves from outside.

The other guess is spider mites or some kind of pests. Have you treated for any insects?

PS.....ph for hydro 5.6-6.2
soil 6.2--6.8

From experts who do grow professionally. Not everyone agrees on ph.....but I've always used these parameters and they've worked great for me.

JamicanDreams

Hi Weedhound. No bugs or pests to be seen. I agree, flush it is. Thanks for your help-it is truly appriciated. Did you ge a chance to view a photo of an affected leaf?

Treetops

JD,
I have/do grow Hawaiian Snow...

picture.php

but let it be said.. I am a rookie grower, learning the ropes...but with the help of this forum and others I'm getting a great education..Couldnt have done it without the fine people who post to them......:respect:

I use Fox Farm nutes...a PH of 6.0 is what works the best for me...

Found this info, see if it helps...Link included..Gotta give credit to 420mag for the info....Good luck..

Your leaf and one that may look like yours?

Here are a few pictures of ph spotting before nutrient lockout occurs. The last pic is shown is high ph with the twisty leaves. Note the edges are brown, this is a potassium deficiency that is caused by ph lockout.(Sometimes this gets confused with a nitrogen toxicity, so always keep your ph in check and test it often!)

picture.php

picture.php

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/p...abis-plant-pest-problem-solver-pictorial.html

Not sure if its exactly your problem, but thought I'd try for ya...

Peace,
Treetops

JamicanDreams

Hi Treetops- Thanks for the help. From what I have seen in so far as the "sick plant" photos it seems to me to be a calcium defecency or potassium.

Hydro and Soil less Mediums

FROM 420:
Potassium gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 4.0-4.5, 6.0-6.5.
Potassium is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 4.7-5.3, 6.7-8.5. (Wouldn’t recommend having a ph over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a potassium deficiency.

Regardles, I will flush and try to keep the PH at 5.9-6.0 and just wait and see, Also, the strech on HS is something of a fource of nature. I have clones ready. I will keep future budding plants on a leash-as the current grow is a bit too close to the light (even a cool tube seems to have limitations!).

On this grow I also have used some products I have never tried-such as Dark Energy and Thrive Alive. It used to be only GH Lucas Formula in DWC with some Liquid Karma. Maybe I should go bakc to basics and build from there.

Thanks again for your help and best regards.

Last edited:

Treetops

Hey JD,
Glad I could be of some help...we are all tryin for the same thing...good results from our efforts...newbies to guru's we will be one day...:laughing:

Hope things turn around for you...

Here is my HS...16" tall....not my best crop...8grms but well worth the experience and effort...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Peace,
Treetops