in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > Butane recovery issues

Thread Title Search
Butane recovery issues Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2018, 12:33 PM #1
RGG

RGG will become famous soon enough
Butane recovery issues

Hi guys im sure this has been covered before but i tried searching and couldn't find the info.

I am running a half 1/2lb passive cls system with dewaxing column. I have been using if for a couple months now but im not sure i am 1. stripping it of all of the resin and 2. im not recovering all the butane, It feels like i am forever distilling more butane.

I've been trying various flood times started with long 45 min flood with dry ice and iso in dewaxing column and then after reading on here doing 1-3min floods and 2-3 of them before i start recovering butane.

Is it normal not to be recovering al lthe solvent i put in or am i doing it wrong?
RGG is offline Quote

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 12-05-2018, 12:09 AM #2
northstate
IC Mag Supporter

northstate is a jewel in the roughnorthstate is a jewel in the roughnorthstate is a jewel in the roughnorthstate is a jewel in the roughnorthstate is a jewel in the roughnorthstate is a jewel in the roughnorthstate is a jewel in the rough
depending on your budget, get a refrigerant recovery scale (TIF9010A) to measure the whole packed extractor unit and your recovery/storage tank to know for sure. The maths don't lie, you can also get a yield estimate in % too after you weigh your final product
northstate is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:39 PM #3
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGG View Post
Hi guys im sure this has been covered before but i tried searching and couldn't find the info.

I am running a half 1/2lb passive cls system with dewaxing column. I have been using if for a couple months now but im not sure i am 1. stripping it of all of the resin and 2. im not recovering all the butane, It feels like i am forever distilling more butane.

I've been trying various flood times started with long 45 min flood with dry ice and iso in dewaxing column and then after reading on here doing 1-3min floods and 2-3 of them before i start recovering butane.

Is it normal not to be recovering al lthe solvent i put in or am i doing it wrong?
You will always lose LPG vapors when opening a passive system. The vapor density is a function of its temperature, in relationship to its vapor and boiling points.

What is the solvent(s) and mix ratio?

What is the temperature of the extract collection tank?

What is the temperature of the LPG recovery tank?

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is online now Quote

Old 12-05-2018, 03:57 PM #4
Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstate View Post
depending on your budget, get a refrigerant recovery scale (TIF9010A) to measure the whole packed extractor unit and your recovery/storage tank to know for sure. The maths don't lie, you can also get a yield estimate in % too after you weigh your final product
A good point! An important tool!

A refrigerant recovery scale will tell you when your solvent storage tank has been fully transferred, as well as when the liquid phase has been fully recovered.

You will always have a vapor (gas) phase in the space above the liquid. A refrigerant pressure gauge will tell you when the pressure is at or below one atmosphere, or zero gauge.

If the LPG is a mixture, while the liquid phase stays mixed, the vapor phase above the liquid will be enriched in the lowest boiling point constituent.

Losing those vapors when you open the system each time, changes the LPG liquid gas ratio through fractional distillation.

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:42 PM #5
RGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
You will always lose LPG vapors when opening a passive system. The vapor density is a function of its temperature, in relationship to its vapor and boiling points.

What is the solvent(s) and mix ratio?

What is the temperature of the extract collection tank?

What is the temperature of the LPG recovery tank?
Hi

The solvent is just butane from whip it cans.

The collection tank is placed in a tub i dont know the exact temp i put water from the kettle in keeping it finger hot.

The recovery tank is sat in dry ice about -20/-25
RGG is offline Quote

Old 12-05-2018, 04:57 PM #6
RGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstate View Post
Hi thanks for the info its definitely something that can be in budget if it will help me recover more butane potentially saving time and money.
RGG is offline Quote

Old 12-05-2018, 07:56 PM #7
SkyHighLer
Got me a stone bad Mana

SkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to behold
Are you warming up the material column to reclaim the last of the butane after you've finished recovering the butane from the extracted oil?
3. Click on the 'reload this page' icon, or hit the return key.

Best to Worst Canned Butane List
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...6&postcount=28

Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold
https://calgarycmmc.com/E-books/E%20B...0D.%20Gold.pdf

Hash oil techniques and solvents for non BHO hash oil?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338633

Solvents listed as to polarity
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...&postcount=162

The Truth Machine by James L. Halperin (free read provided by the author)
https://coins.ha.com/information/ttm.s
SkyHighLer is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:01 PM #8
RGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighLer View Post
Are you warming up the material column to reclaim the last of the butane after you've finished recovering the butane from the extracted oil?
Not really a couple times i have removed dry ice ect from dewaxing column but the more i thought about it i was assuming by warming the column up i would then be warming up waxes fats lipids ect and they would end up in my finish product which is what i was trying to avoid.
RGG is offline Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 04:11 PM #9
Gray Wolf

Quote:
Hi

The solvent is just butane from whip it cans.

The collection tank is placed in a tub i dont know the exact temp i put water from the kettle in keeping it finger hot.

The recovery tank is sat in dry ice about -20/-25
Whip it butane fuel is only about 54% n-Butane, 24% Iso-butane, and 22% Propane.

Propane's boiling point is around -42C/43.6F, so -25C isn't cold enough to recover it

https://butanesource.com/whip-it-premium-msds

Last edited by Gray Wolf; 12-06-2018 at 04:32 PM..

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:30 PM #10
Gray Wolf

Quote:
Not really a couple times i have removed dry ice ect from dewaxing column but the more i thought about it i was assuming by warming the column up i would then be warming up waxes fats lipids ect and they would end up in my finish product which is what i was trying to avoid.

To SH's point, we heat our Terpenator columns to 150F purge the LPG that is slowly evaporating from the plant material and chilling it in the process of doing so.

Easy to do with silicone heat mats and PID controller, or a NEMA 7, Class I, Div I installation using hot water jackets and PID controller.

As far as extracting more fats and lipids, boiling the LPG out of the plant material leaves behind any solids dissolved in them. We are heating the column after the liquid has stopped dripping and extraction is complete.