Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Security & Legal Issues > home security video.

Thread Title Search
Post Reply
home security video. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2018, 06:33 PM #1
Iamnumber
Member

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 146
Iamnumber will become famous soon enoughIamnumber will become famous soon enough
home security video.

Hi,


Looking for info and recommendations for products in video surveillance home indoors (perhaps outdoors too).


I have a short list of what I believe to required/ desired qualities... please point out if I am overlooking something vital or something I should consider.


Quality of footage should be enough to identify persons and see what they are doing .. (distance few meters .. perhaps more if I also place outdoors)


camera should be small enough so that it can be hidden.


motion, light, heat etc. sensors would be cool, also sensor must be small enough to be hidden.


Night vision would be nice, with automation to select between normal and night modes.


ability to transfer footage to a server on the internet with some regime .. would be shame if criminals ransack my home and they take footage with them.


operation on 12v or 24v dc highly desirable as it enables recording while electricity is cut off.


Nanny cams are a low end solution (cheap, poor quality of pic/video (?) limited capabilities/ features) .. I have not really looked into these products yet.. I figured out I better post here to find out what features I should really be looking for.


Thanks for taking time to read/ answer. Be safe!
Iamnumber is offline Quote


Old 10-25-2018, 07:05 PM #2
Hydro8
Member

Hydro8's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 182
Hydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of light
Their is a big gap between nanny cam type systems $100.-$200 and a mid grade system $500-$1000. Pro grade systems are $1000.+

What you are talking about is a mid grade system. I am not going to recommend brands but I will give you a run down of how the systems work. I have set up a few in medium and large grows.

The cameras are going to be decent sized(about the size of a pint glass) you will have to get creative to hide them. A $150 camera has some amazing features these days, night vision, motion and zone sensing, nice resolution(in the MegaPixels).

The DVR is about the size of a large book you can hide it in a locked room, ceiling, a difficult place to find and access. That way if something happens you will have the footage. The DVR depending on the size and setting will record for so long 30-90 days then when it runs out of room it will record over the previous footage. With good cameras and motion sensors it will only record when people are under it, so in a 24hr period you will only have the guys watering and pruning for 45 mins.

The systems can be a PINTA to set up and configure usually done by professionals or someone that can run CAT5 cable and configure the cameras.

People always rave about the DYI $200 systems but when something happens they have a low grade video of blurry blobs(worthless). You get what you pay for. Good camera systems do their job and get burglars busted.
Hydro8 is offline Quote


4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:03 AM #3
Elmer Bud
Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore

Elmer Bud's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sth Pacific
Posts: 3,129
Elmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant futureElmer Bud has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnumber View Post
Hi,


Looking for info and recommendations for products in video surveillance home indoors (perhaps outdoors too).


I have a short list of what I believe to required/ desired qualities... please point out if I am overlooking something vital or something I should consider.


Quality of footage should be enough to identify persons and see what they are doing .. (distance few meters .. perhaps more if I also place outdoors)


camera should be small enough so that it can be hidden.


motion, light, heat etc. sensors would be cool, also sensor must be small enough to be hidden.


Night vision would be nice, with automation to select between normal and night modes.


ability to transfer footage to a server on the internet with some regime .. would be shame if criminals ransack my home and they take footage with them.


operation on 12v or 24v dc highly desirable as it enables recording while electricity is cut off.


Nanny cams are a low end solution (cheap, poor quality of pic/video (?) limited capabilities/ features) .. I have not really looked into these products yet.. I figured out I better post here to find out what features I should really be looking for.


Thanks for taking time to read/ answer. Be safe!
G `day I A N

Sadly.
All those features can be defeated by wearing a $10 hoody .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
__________________
Such is life ...
Elmer Bud is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:13 AM #4
Iamnumber
Member

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 146
Iamnumber will become famous soon enoughIamnumber will become famous soon enough
Thank you for responses.


Hydro8

Do mid range systems offer offsite transfer of footage through wifi? this is kinda important for me.. not a question about space but protection regarding footage. Your advice regarding hard to find/ access placement is very good and solid - There is a specific risk scenarios where it is crucial that footage (copy of) is safe and secure offsite.



Money wise 500-1000 usd is acceptable. I might get carried away and invest low 4 fig. if I get bang for my buck. I guess prices here are higher than in US. higher taxes - smaller market for such systems.


options to hide camera & dvr are very very limited. I can work something up but we building standards here are different to US (i think). No large spaces between walls (drywall? crawl space?) as I have seen in movies / reality series from US. - so placing camera (pint size) within wall is not possible.



In book case etc.. maybe .. I will have to think about it. tiny cameras (spy size) would be a lot easier - not to say those alone but as a support / backup for pint size?



Elmer
True.. I am willing to invest to security system despite that.
Iamnumber is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:12 PM #5
BongFu
Newbie

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Left of Centre
Posts: 30
BongFu will become famous soon enough
Put a camera on a really big vicious dog and you'll then have some decent security.
BongFu is offline Quote


Old 10-26-2018, 04:15 PM #6
Capt.Ahab
Feeding the ducks with a bun.

Capt.Ahab's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,559
Capt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivor
Tape a Go-Pro to the end of a 12 gauge.
__________________
"Mark ye, be forewarned; Ahab's above the common; Ahab's been in colleges, as well as 'mong the cannibals; been used to deeper wonders than the waves; fixed his fiery lance in mightier, stranger foes than whales.'"
Capt.Ahab is offline Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:16 PM #7
Smith111
Member

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 156
Smith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the rough
I am pricing out a commercial unit right now. If you want to spend about 3k, PM me.
Smith111 is offline Quote


Old 10-26-2018, 05:16 PM #8
St. Phatty
Senior Member

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,690
St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
Amazon had a $100 4 camera set-up that was surprisingly good.

I helped a neighbor set it up, after someone broke into his trailer home.

It was BYO - BYO hard drive & BYO monitor.

Sort of like this.

The $100 price was about 3 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Owl-WM-...6%3A9900-20000
__________________
The Nice Part about Running a Temperature ~

A 30 Degree day feels like a 40 Degree Day

(Degrees F)
St. Phatty is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:14 PM #9
Hydro8
Member

Hydro8's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 182
Hydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of lightHydro8 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnumber View Post
Do mid range systems offer offsite transfer of footage through wifi? this is kinda important for me.. not a question about space but protection regarding footage. Your advice regarding hard to find/ access placement is very good and solid - There is a specific risk scenarios where it is crucial that footage (copy of) is safe and secure offsite.
I have tested remote storage and cameras and never found any reliable solutions. The problem is camera footage is big usually bigger then your wifi connection. Most wifi will give you high download speeds but small upload speeds(smaller then a decent camera). You get 3-7 high res cameras and that's a lot of data.. You need CAT5 cable hooked to a DVR.

I have configured systems that will reliably send snapshots to remote storage, the cam will send off a pic every 3-10 seconds.

Cheap nanny cams offer remote storage but their cameras are so cheap and small the files are like a 1990s cell phone pic and the video is around 2-frames per second. They are also very unreliable for any kind of commercial use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnumber View Post
In book case etc.. maybe .. I will have to think about it. tiny cameras (spy size) would be a lot easier - not to say those alone but as a support / backup for pint size?
I have played with small hidden cameras before and have always been very underwhelmed. They are usually in the quality range of a 1990s cell phone and they are usually linked to some kind of 3rd party service. What I did is find the top ones and buy them from a place with a good return policy then test them(they all went back).

In mid-grade you want IP/network camera which means you can hook a CAT5 network cable to it and run it to a DVR. Analogy is 1990s technology.

You can get good cameras as small as a coffee cup. One thing that makes many of them bigger is the night vision, that is all the small lights surrounding the lens. Without night vision they can get smaller.

These dome styles can be easy to hide they are about the size of a small soup bowl. I have put them in clocks, lamps, fake plants,


Hydro8 is offline Quote


4 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:30 PM #10
Midwestsmoker
Newbie

Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 40
Midwestsmoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro8 View Post
I have tested remote storage and cameras and never found any reliable solutions. The problem is camera footage is big usually bigger then your wifi connection. Most wifi will give you high download speeds but small upload speeds(smaller then a decent camera). You get 3-7 high res cameras and that's a lot of data.. You need CAT5 cable hooked to a DVR.

I have configured systems that will reliably send snapshots to remote storage, the cam will send off a pic every 3-10 seconds.

Cheap nanny cams offer remote storage but their cameras are so cheap and small the files are like a 1990s cell phone pic and the video is around 2-frames per second. They are also very unreliable for any kind of commercial use.



I have played with small hidden cameras before and have always been very underwhelmed. They are usually in the quality range of a 1990s cell phone and they are usually linked to some kind of 3rd party service. What I did is find the top ones and buy them from a place with a good return policy then test them(they all went back).

In mid-grade you want IP/network camera which means you can hook a CAT5 network cable to it and run it to a DVR. Analogy is 1990s technology.

You can get good cameras as small as a coffee cup. One thing that makes many of them bigger is the night vision, that is all the small lights surrounding the lens. Without night vision they can get smaller.

These dome styles can be easy to hide they are about the size of a small soup bowl. I have put them in clocks, lamps, fake plants,


View Image
We’re do you recommend getting the done cams from?
Midwestsmoker is offline Quote


Post Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:22 AM.




This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
All postings are the responsibility of their authors.
Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.