Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Growroom Lighting > 630w CMH DOUBLE-ENDED BULBS - who makes the *best*?

Thread Title Search
Click for quality CMH grow lights at Ceramic Solutions!
630w CMH DOUBLE-ENDED BULBS - who makes the *best*? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 PM #1
White Beard

White Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud of
630w CMH Lamp Configurations - Double-ENDED vs Twin SE Lamps - what’s best and worst?

[sound of a needle scratching vinyl]

So, refocus, new thread title: 630w CMH is a thing, and probably not going away. As I see it, there are points against each of the two form factors, and there are serious growers who’ve used and are using both(?).

Who runs which, and what do you think of them, what if anything drove your choice? What do y’all see as the shortcomings of the two.

As before, I’m planning my first growroom, and at this point, the price point on DE units is ridiculously cheap in some quarters, so trying to sift through all the data cramming I’ve been doing.

So, the voices of the more experienced are welcome, with thanks!

Last edited by White Beard; 12-04-2018 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: A more expansive view of the topic...
White Beard is offline Quote

Old 12-04-2018, 07:28 PM #2
bigtacofarmer

bigtacofarmer has a brilliant futurebigtacofarmer has a brilliant futurebigtacofarmer has a brilliant futurebigtacofarmer has a brilliant futurebigtacofarmer has a brilliant futurebigtacofarmer has a brilliant futurebigtacofarmer has a brilliant futurebigtacofarmer has a brilliant futurebigtacofarmer has a brilliant futurebigtacofarmer has a brilliant futurebigtacofarmer has a brilliant future
One of the cmh thread had described them as a frankenbulb that actually makes no sense and was just designed to essentially create a new product. I bought 4 of the growers choice a few year ago. Before reading that they (growers choice) sometime catch fire. Only one of mine got scorched. No actual flames. At least not when I was in the room. I think I still have the other 3 in a box somewhere. Barely used.
bigtacofarmer is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:56 PM #3
White Beard

White Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud ofWhite Beard has much to be proud of
Yeah, I read about Hammerhead’s experience in Rives’ thread, and I remember the frankenbulb side-bit.

Same could be said of all CMH 630w configurations, I suppose...so maybe my question is wrong. Maybe the question should be double-end vs double-bulb? I could fix that...done.

Hope you don’t mind me refocusing the topic while you’re in it....

Last edited by White Beard; 12-04-2018 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Change of focus, BigTaco got me thinking...

Old 12-04-2018, 10:21 PM #4
Chunkypigs
Hard Mode

Chunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivor
I'm having good luck with a $53 dollar Amazon 630 DE bulb running in my Gavita flex at the 600 watt setting.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?a...tureid=1894917

https://https://www.icmag.com/ic/alb...tureid=1894918
Chunkypigs is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:39 AM #5
White Beard

Is this your first run with it? How are your results?

Old 12-05-2018, 04:21 AM #6
Chunkypigs
Hard Mode

Chunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Beard View Post
Is this your first run with it? How are your results?
Still vegging with it and a nanolux 1000 watt DE CMH flipping soon.
Chunkypigs is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:41 PM #7
maryjane481

maryjane481 is a complete muppetmaryjane481 is a complete muppet
I just finished a 4 plant run of Sour Bubble in a 4.5’ x 4.5’ tent with a 630w de and ballast from Ceramic Solutions. Pulled 9.5 oz.dry wt. It’s my first run using only CMH.
In the past I would flower with 600w 4K MH for the first 3 weeks and finish with 600 HPS.
I found the yield to be about the same, depending on the size of the plants at the beginning of flower. The difference was more resin production.
The 630w de from ceramic solutions worked great.

Last edited by maryjane481; 12-15-2018 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: To add photos
maryjane481 is offline Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 03:00 AM #8
White Beard

Ceramic Solutions is selling a pretty compelling unit for $270. A 630 would give you something less than 40w/sqft. but respectable yields as you note.

Twin-lamp units are ~$200, what made the difference for you?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 PM #9
maryjane481

maryjane481 is a complete muppetmaryjane481 is a complete muppet
Hi WB, I don't use two lamp fixtures because they incorporate two ballasts....they are heavy and bulky. I'm currently using a ajustawing with a spreader. The ballast from CERAMIC Solutions can drive two 315w bulbs if I choose to do so.
maryjane481 is offline Quote

Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 PM #10
White Beard

As this has developed, I find my biggest reluctance to go double-ended is that the choice would rule out Philips bulbs.