What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Q:transporting seedlings from CFL to HPS

getbuck

Hello,
I'm working with a 600W hps + cooltube for the first time during my next run. My tent is 4x4 and i'm planning to run 4-6 plants from seed. If i pop the seeds in beer cups with little amount of CFL light , how soon can I start using the HPS? What amount of CFL watts do you guys recommend for bringing up/vegging 4-6 plants?

I dont have access to MH or T5 fluoros, I have to use the HPS and regular small watt CFL's. How would you do this?

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Start them under the hps, IMHO. Keep the light raised higher than normal grow & lower once the seedlings get growing. The sun is a big hps & all our crops do great under it.

I

IndicaIsland

They might get a little stretchy under HPS but it will work. You may have to give them a little support at first if that happens.

mrS0ul

Meatball in Residence
I wait till they are about 2 weeks from sprout then I rotate them into the [600w hps] for short periods keeping them low. When they hit 3-4 weeks I will prolong the HID exposure depending on development.

I have found some strains develop slower then others and I have experienced some strains that did not respond favorably to too much light too quickly. The HSO Green [Crack] Cush and [freebie] Bubbas Gift had a set back due to too much light too quickly and it wasn't that much light that fast to begin with. No doubt that, just as you can over feed N-P or K so can you overfeed with light.

On the other hand the HSO Blue Dream and the BF Critical Kush can't get enough and have blown past the two above dropped at the same time. You can give them too much light and I think it varies so reading each one is important imo.

There is a swath of folks who proclaim the cfl useless, but I disagree as seedlings LOVE them. I keep 6- 8 of them over my [full tray] 28 day and younger seedlings with some interspersed HID therapy and they go to the transplant to the next size pot singing.

matt11

Clfs for 1-2 weeks then the hps. start the hps about 3 feet (more or less) and slowing lower day by day, deepening on heat inside your grow and/or ventilation