What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Setting up my first tent...all feedback welcome

Gertz

Hey everyone

A little bit about myself...just moved to a ganja friendly state, grow and breed carnivorous plants, more interested in being a mad scientist and breeding while providing medicine to my wife and I.

So to start with our first order of business is getting legal and getting our medical cards, along with a caregiver license.

Then on to the fun stuff. I have a small space right now but hopefully can expand in the near future. Here is my current buylist (Not linking anything currently):
  • Tent - 30"x18"x36" Tent, not sure which brand yet but I need something thats not tall because of the space I have
  • Light - 300w LED Panel, again not sure on brand
  • Airflow - 190cfm fan with carbon filter and speed adjuster...Ill eventually split this if I decide to get a second tent
  • Soil - Coco Coir as I already use it for my other plants mixed with a little perlite
  • Nutes - Fox Farms
  • Misc Tools - Light meter, water meter, ph meter, etc

I have a budget of about $500. Now for my questions that everyone can help with...

1. I feel the light is adequate for the space but I would like to verify with people that have experience
2. Eventually I want to use the fan and split it between 3 similar tents...should I get a bigger fan or is the 190cfm adequate?
3. Since I dont know, how loud would that fan be?
4. Rather than that LED panel I was also looking at using COB LED's and building my own light

Finally, beans...

Since the last time I bought from Nirvana in the late 90's early '00's there is a bit of sticker shock. Im looking for some options for good beginner seeds that are more affordable. There are just so many options now its a bit overwhelming.

Thanks everyone in advance

- Gertz

Gertz

Just to continue on and keep the thread going

1. I think I am going to go with Lighthouse brand grow tent rather than the Milliard...mainly because the Milliard seems to have grow tent stamped on the outside box and deliveries get dropped at the front office of both work and home. Dont need that advertised.

2. For the light Im looking at the 300w Full Spectrum GalaxyHydro LED panel

3. I think Im am good on airflow though depending on how loud it is I may need to put some batting up to lower the sound coming out.

4. For nutes I found out that Ill need to get some specific for coco, for carnivores they need nutrient free substrate so I am glad I held off on purchases.

5. For beans, I want to try and keep it economical until I can dial in the equipment and get a few successful grows under my belt. I also looking at my need to breed, so I would like to start with some items that will be good for crossing later. Im thinking of starting with the Nirvana 4 pack from Seed Boutique and choosing the following strains; Northern Lights, AK48, White Widow, and Super Skunk. Then I was going to order a few things off of Herbies; KC Brains Special Haze, KC Brains Ledo Una, KC Brains Mango, Seedman Afghani No 1, Seedsman Mama Thai, Seedsman Early Durban. This will also get me whatever the free offer is for the month and enough genetics for some time.

Thoughts?

- Gertz

G

There is a recent thread in the coco forum about simple recipes. I'd suggest a look.
Cant go wrong with the Bay/Bou. Take advantage of the GN fundraiser for some interesting strains.
I would also suggest looking into Peak seeds for some old school flavors. They have an active forum on another site, but there is plenty examples of the gear right here on IC.
Welcome and happy growing!

Granger2

Veteran
I think it would be a huge mistake to buy any tent that is only 36" high, even with an LED. You'll have constant problems with head room. Get at least a 6' high tent. How can you stay on a $500 budget with LED lighting? Good luck. -granger

Gertz

There is a recent thread in the coco forum about simple recipes. I'd suggest a look.
Cant go wrong with the Bay/Bou. Take advantage of the GN fundraiser for some interesting strains.
I would also suggest looking into Peak seeds for some old school flavors. They have an active forum on another site, but there is plenty examples of the gear right here on IC.
Welcome and happy growing!

Thanks I will take a look into the coco forum and into Peak.

I think it would be a huge mistake to buy any tent that is only 36" high, even with an LED. You'll have constant problems with head room. Get at least a 6' high tent. How can you stay on a $500 budget with LED lighting? Good luck. -granger

Thanks

I would love to have a space that was taller but I dont right now and it will be at least a year before I consider moving because of my lease. I have about a 40" tall space. Ill need to most likely SCROG and restrict veg time. Right now I am a bit over the $500 budget on paper and expect to hit probably hit about $650 knowing that I cant plan for everything.

X

xavier7995

Good luck, My first grow was in a 36 inch tall cab....never again though. It did teach me an awful lot about LST/training though.

Gertz

Good luck, My first grow was in a 36 inch tall cab....never again though. It did teach me an awful lot about LST/training though.

Thanks man, yeah Im hoping that after a bit I can move into a place with a bit more room but for now I have to try and make the room I have count.

The good part is that I can have probably three of the small height tents if need be, just nothing over around 40" for now.

- Gertz

psyphish

Veteran
36 inches in plenty of room. I have a micro box that is a bit under 20 inches minus the light and container. My next small cab is going to be about 35 inches.

Granger2

Veteran
36 inches in plenty of room. I have a micro box that is a bit under 20 inches minus the light and container. My next small cab is going to be about 35 inches.
Good luck with that. It can be done, but is far from optimal if someone has more height available. -granger

Gertz

Thanks everyone

Right now I'm thinking I will focus on playing around with some smaller indoor genes and not worry about anything with a high sativa parentage. Thinking I may pick up a number of different Afghan/Kush seeds from various vendors to do some breeding.
- Nirvana Master Kush Seeds
- White Label Seeds Company Master Kush Seeds
- White Label Seeds Company Afghan Kush Seeds
- World of Seeds Afghan Kush Seeds
- Seedsman Narkush Seeds
- Seedsman Afghani No 1 Seeds
- KC Brains Afghani Special Seeds

Eventually I hope to have a larger place and then repurpose the 2 smaller tents Im going to pick up for cloning, breeding and starting seeds. Then use the larger one to actually grow things out.

Just thoughts right now, working on the budget at the moment.

- Gertz

Gertz

Ive been slowly working on a plan and shopping around the last week to figure out what I can do in my space. Now Ive read through the TOU and I know I can post outside links but mod's have the right to remove the link...hopefully I read that right.

For tent, lights and air I am getting the following
- 2x Quictent Ⅱ 30x18x36 Eco-friendly Grow Tent EN71-3 Approve Hydroponic Indoor Room from eBay for 137.98 total
- 2x 300W LED Grow Light 9 Band Really 3W leds IR for Indoor Flower & Veg plants for $157.52 total
- 1x VenTech VT IF4+CF4 IF4CF412 Inline Duct Fan with Virgin Charcoal Carbon Filter Combo, 190 CFM, 4" and a speed adjuster for a total of 134.92
- 4" Duct, vent clamps and a T intersection

Ill be setting up the tents right next to each other and having work as my Veg/Clone/Mother tent for the time being and one for flowering. Ill be keeping the clones that go into the flower tent small, maybe two weeks after setting and into 12/12.

I previously was going to use the same soil mix as my carnivorous plants which is coco but the reason I use coco for them is because they need no nutrients in their soil. I checked out the coco forum and for now I think I'm going to just stick to soil until I get some more experience. Ill grab some Fox Farms soil, a nutrient three pack, and Ill be getting some weed cloth and sewing my own 1g or 1/2g cloth pots.

Finally genetics, this is probably where I spent most of my time looking. My curiosity like with my other plants is being a mad scientist. My goal here is to start with some good base genetics mainly classics and building blocks and create seeds from each of those then start doing some crosses. Because of the limits on number of plants for being a patient Ill need to not get as crazy as I do with my other plants, so with that in mind I'm likely going to start with an Afghan, then a Kush, and finally a sativa.

Ill be doing one at a time starting with the Afghan, likely Seedmans since I'm on a budget and just getting started. Then move to the Nirvana Master Kush and then to Seedman Mama Thai. Ill likely grow each out to seed via clones, then to flower sans the seeds to pick a keeper but still having seeds from each plant for a later date. Then do the same with the Master Kush but adding in a step to do a cross with the Afghan as well...then to the Thai.

At this point I should have a good variety of seeds available and closer to something that's suitable for me.

Thoughts for now, nothing committed yet but getting closer to doing so. Im sitting at about $650 total for everything. I little more than my initial budget but it also gives me two tents as opposed to one.

- Gertz

Boleman

Small cabs are fine with pll lights and led lights. No problem.

Small cabs are fine with pll lights and led lights. No problem.

Ive been slowly working on a plan and shopping around the last week to figure out what I can do in my space. Now Ive read through the TOU and I know I can post outside links but mod's have the right to remove the link...hopefully I read that right.

For tent, lights and air I am getting the following
- 2x Quictent Ⅱ 30x18x36 Eco-friendly Grow Tent EN71-3 Approve Hydroponic Indoor Room from eBay for 137.98 total
- 2x 300W LED Grow Light 9 Band Really 3W leds IR for Indoor Flower & Veg plants for $157.52 total
- 1x VenTech VT IF4+CF4 IF4CF412 Inline Duct Fan with Virgin Charcoal Carbon Filter Combo, 190 CFM, 4" and a speed adjuster for a total of 134.92
- 4" Duct, vent clamps and a T intersection

Ill be setting up the tents right next to each other and having work as my Veg/Clone/Mother tent for the time being and one for flowering. Ill be keeping the clones that go into the flower tent small, maybe two weeks after setting and into 12/12.

I previously was going to use the same soil mix as my carnivorous plants which is coco but the reason I use coco for them is because they need no nutrients in their soil. I checked out the coco forum and for now I think I'm going to just stick to soil until I get some more experience. Ill grab some Fox Farms soil, a nutrient three pack, and Ill be getting some weed cloth and sewing my own 1g or 1/2g cloth pots.

Finally genetics, this is probably where I spent most of my time looking. My curiosity like with my other plants is being a mad scientist. My goal here is to start with some good base genetics mainly classics and building blocks and create seeds from each of those then start doing some crosses. Because of the limits on number of plants for being a patient Ill need to not get as crazy as I do with my other plants, so with that in mind I'm likely going to start with an Afghan, then a Kush, and finally a sativa.

Ill be doing one at a time starting with the Afghan, likely Seedmans since I'm on a budget and just getting started. Then move to the Nirvana Master Kush and then to Seedman Mama Thai. Ill likely grow each out to seed via clones, then to flower sans the seeds to pick a keeper but still having seeds from each plant for a later date. Then do the same with the Master Kush but adding in a step to do a cross with the Afghan as well...then to the Thai.

At this point I should have a good variety of seeds available and closer to something that's suitable for me.

Thoughts for now, nothing committed yet but getting closer to doing so. Im sitting at about $650 total for everything. I little more than my initial budget but it also gives me two tents as opposed to one.

- Gertz

I'd like to see some pics on this one!

Gertz

Working on getting everything together for this. Right now my kitchen and bathrooms are getting some renovation so I don't want to start anything until that's done.

Thanks for the reply

M.R.GT

Veteran
Hey Gertz

Sounds like your getting there.

don't bother buying any special clamps for your ducting. Just use insulated flex line and some zip ties and duct tape. Simple and cheap. Worked for many year in the Ac industry, duct tape and zip ties work no matter what anyone says.

Im not much on soil or coco so I cant help there. If you had a little more head room I would say DWC as its simple to maintain. You can build those on the cheap with off the shelf stuff.

here are a couple of pic using $3 net pots and just off the shelf 3/8 poly line and 1/2 PVC. these are 10" pots designed to go on buckets but smaller ones are available. These are made in the water farm style top feed. They work outstanding and can be made for a couple of dollars.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

You can buy aquarium air pumps at the wally world on the cheap.

If you can fit a tote in there it would be easier than sowing pots.

You may also consider a mega garden from GH. Its a small E/F system complete for about $150. Simple and works well.
https://4hydroponics.com/mega-garden-hydroponics-system
dimensions are 22x22x10 so wont fit exactly in your tent specs. Just a thought. Comes complete with timer, nutes and everything you need to get started. pH drops come with it but a meter is a must.

I have used one for years in my veg tent with good results. 15 cuttings should do you and the wife well.

if you have 48" of head room here is a complete tent Kit on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reflective-...040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9c5ae2e0

The mega garden will fit right in there. Comes complete, fans and even light fixture minus bulb. $200 + $150 for the mega garden puts you right on budget.:biggrin: These are all just simple ideas with off the shelf stuff. No thought required.

if you don't want the whole kit here is one of the same size for$50.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x24-x48-...005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=191601763040&rt=nc

Nutes I use is Veg + Bloom. Simple to mix 1 part nutes with no amendments. Easier than a 3 part mix. Cost is about $20 a Lb or $100 for 5Lbs. I also use the size p/k booster in week 3 thru 7 of flower but not required. They also make a dirt formula. If you go the dry nutes route, invest in a small pump to mix with.

On your pH meter spend your money. I have used every pen style on the market and they all pretty much SUCK. Save your pennys and get a blue lab. The BL combo meter is around $250 but its worth every penny.

All the seed lines you have specified are good. I know you have seen the KC grows I have been doing. They would work but are big plants so may not fit in your area. $16 bucks a pack you cant go wrong. The Afgani special may do the trick but I wouldn't veg clones at all with such a low ceiling. Straight into flower after they harden off. 15 cuts in a SOG should do the trick.

Im interested in seeing your LED set up, so I will continue to watch as you progress

I hope this helps.

Peace
GT

Last edited:

Buddler

Veteran
If the op sticks to the short stalky indica types with minimal stretch should be good, but trying to grow thai in such short head room gonna have to scrog and even then wow.And ducting IMHO buy the good stuff as cheap ducting can leak lite and smell up the place . LED s are nice for summer don't throw much heat.Good Luck Bud

Do yourself a favor and look into Hempy Bucket and the Lucas formula. It is a very simple, cheap and easy way to grow. It's almost foolproof if you flow the directions. Seriously. You can probably put together your Hempy bucket and get the chems you need for under $50.

I've grown in a cab a little taller than yours. Like 42". It can be a major pain in the ass. I would recommend you start LST as early as possible and do not veg any longer than necessary. If the seedling is healthy, flip at two weeks to 12/12. I wouldn't even bother topping. Just tie it down as quickly as possible. Don't wait too late. I can't emphasize as early as possible.

I am not familiar with the genes you have chosen. Personally, I would find some short autoflowering that are fast bloomers. Or photos 12/12 from seed that are very fast bloomers.

Realistically, as long as you are prepared for LST it sounds like your plan may work. I like the idea of LED in that small confined space so you don't have to deal with heat issues. Even if the actual watts are only 180-200 watts that should be plenty of light for such a small space. Fan/filter should be good enough for 1 tent. Not sure about 2. Maybe.

Anyway, good luck bro. Soil will do fine to if you go that route. Hempy is just so much easier and cheaper to me.

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
Hey everyone

A little bit about myself...just moved to a ganja friendly state, grow and breed carnivorous plants, more interested in being a mad scientist and breeding while providing medicine to my wife and I.

So to start with our first order of business is getting legal and getting our medical cards, along with a caregiver license.

Then on to the fun stuff. I have a small space right now but hopefully can expand in the near future. Here is my current buylist (Not linking anything currently):
  • Tent - 30"x18"x36" Tent, not sure which brand yet but I need something thats not tall because of the space I have
  • Light - 300w LED Panel, again not sure on brand
  • Airflow - 190cfm fan with carbon filter and speed adjuster...Ill eventually split this if I decide to get a second tent
  • Soil - Coco Coir as I already use it for my other plants mixed with a little perlite
  • Nutes - Fox Farms
  • Misc Tools - Light meter, water meter, ph meter, etc

I have a budget of about $500. Now for my questions that everyone can help with...

1. I feel the light is adequate for the space but I would like to verify with people that have experience
2. Eventually I want to use the fan and split it between 3 similar tents...should I get a bigger fan or is the 190cfm adequate?
3. Since I dont know, how loud would that fan be?
4. Rather than that LED panel I was also looking at using COB LED's and building my own light

Finally, beans...

Since the last time I bought from Nirvana in the late 90's early '00's there is a bit of sticker shock. Im looking for some options for good beginner seeds that are more affordable. There are just so many options now its a bit overwhelming.

Thanks everyone in advance

- Gertz
I use a 400cfm for a 6x2x8 space ..pushing a fan that small in three tents isn't going to do the job.the duck needs to be a little bigger to push enough air to three tents so a bigger fan...
If so you wanted good negative pressure to pull the heat out.. That's just half of it . Than you need to supply fresh cool air to the tent . Another fan is required to do so. don't make the mistake of venting the hot air right out side of your tent . You want to totally get rid of that air so it does make its way back in or set around your tent driving the heat up. Attic or basement should be good to vent the air to.Also I agree with OP That 36" is no room what so ever . U need to have exhaust room light room and medium room . It can be done with no room for error. First time grower give your self room to see how the plant grows and room to move your light up and down and airflow .... Good luck hope everything works out keep us posted :)

Last edited:

fuggzy

In regards to your light choice.

In regards to your light choice.

- Gertz

I would recommend going with the DIY cob. It is way cheaper than a prefab panel. Plus you can dial in the spectrum how you would like. You know where the light comes from and what quality to expect. Also a lot of the prefab panels are not as efficient as you might think. I am currently waiting on pieces to build my own. My budget for everything was about $450, and the light is about $150ish of that.Thats 24 vero 10, and 12 drivers.(plus fans and heatsinks another $90ish) I'll have 192 actual watts (~26.7 FV* .300ma=8.01w ea), compared to 300 advertised watts running at 50~60%

The thread that really inspired my to do so is Bueno Time https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=284309

He not only list the parts, but gets really in to the specs and why you want a cob system. Also he compares a few different cobs from Cree and Bridgelux. He also show 3 grows with great results. I highly recommend reading it.:scripture:

Besides the "GROW TENT" on the box I like the Milliard tent so far. The FedEx lady just smiled as I met her at the door.

Good luck & have fun
Fuggzy

Gertz

Hey Gertz

Sounds like your getting there.

don't bother buying any special clamps for your ducting. Just use insulated flex line and some zip ties and duct tape. Simple and cheap. Worked for many year in the Ac industry, duct tape and zip ties work no matter what anyone says.

Im not much on soil or coco so I cant help there. If you had a little more head room I would say DWC as its simple to maintain. You can build those on the cheap with off the shelf stuff.

here are a couple of pic using $3 net pots and just off the shelf 3/8 poly line and 1/2 PVC. these are 10" pots designed to go on buckets but smaller ones are available. These are made in the water farm style top feed. They work outstanding and can be made for a couple of dollars.

View Image

View Image

View Image

You can buy aquarium air pumps at the wally world on the cheap.

If you can fit a tote in there it would be easier than sowing pots.

You may also consider a mega garden from GH. Its a small E/F system complete for about $150. Simple and works well.
https://4hydroponics.com/mega-garden-hydroponics-system
dimensions are 22x22x10 so wont fit exactly in your tent specs. Just a thought. Comes complete with timer, nutes and everything you need to get started. pH drops come with it but a meter is a must.

I have used one for years in my veg tent with good results. 15 cuttings should do you and the wife well.

if you have 48" of head room here is a complete tent Kit on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reflective-...040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9c5ae2e0

The mega garden will fit right in there. Comes complete, fans and even light fixture minus bulb. $200 + $150 for the mega garden puts you right on budget.:biggrin: These are all just simple ideas with off the shelf stuff. No thought required.

if you don't want the whole kit here is one of the same size for$50.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x24-x48-...005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=191601763040&rt=nc

Nutes I use is Veg + Bloom. Simple to mix 1 part nutes with no amendments. Easier than a 3 part mix. Cost is about $20 a Lb or $100 for 5Lbs. I also use the size p/k booster in week 3 thru 7 of flower but not required. They also make a dirt formula. If you go the dry nutes route, invest in a small pump to mix with.

On your pH meter spend your money. I have used every pen style on the market and they all pretty much SUCK. Save your pennys and get a blue lab. The BL combo meter is around $250 but its worth every penny.

All the seed lines you have specified are good. I know you have seen the KC grows I have been doing. They would work but are big plants so may not fit in your area. $16 bucks a pack you cant go wrong. The Afgani special may do the trick but I wouldn't veg clones at all with such a low ceiling. Straight into flower after they harden off. 15 cuts in a SOG should do the trick.

Im interested in seeing your LED set up, so I will continue to watch as you progress

I hope this helps.

Peace
GT

Thanks for all the information. I was thinking about how to do DWC on a mini scale. Maybe "skinnier".

If the op sticks to the short stalky indica types with minimal stretch should be good, but trying to grow thai in such short head room gonna have to scrog and even then wow.And ducting IMHO buy the good stuff as cheap ducting can leak lite and smell up the place . LED s are nice for summer don't throw much heat.Good Luck Bud

Thats the plan, short varieties except for maybe one sativa after I get some growing legs back.

Do yourself a favor and look into Hempy Bucket and the Lucas formula. It is a very simple, cheap and easy way to grow. It's almost foolproof if you flow the directions. Seriously. You can probably put together your Hempy bucket and get the chems you need for under $50.

I've grown in a cab a little taller than yours. Like 42". It can be a major pain in the ass. I would recommend you start LST as early as possible and do not veg any longer than necessary. If the seedling is healthy, flip at two weeks to 12/12. I wouldn't even bother topping. Just tie it down as quickly as possible. Don't wait too late. I can't emphasize as early as possible.

I am not familiar with the genes you have chosen. Personally, I would find some short autoflowering that are fast bloomers. Or photos 12/12 from seed that are very fast bloomers.

Realistically, as long as you are prepared for LST it sounds like your plan may work. I like the idea of LED in that small confined space so you don't have to deal with heat issues. Even if the actual watts are only 180-200 watts that should be plenty of light for such a small space. Fan/filter should be good enough for 1 tent. Not sure about 2. Maybe.

Anyway, good luck bro. Soil will do fine to if you go that route. Hempy is just so much easier and cheaper to me.

Ill take a look, so much more information out there from back when I was on OG in the late 90's early 00's

I use a 400cfm for a 6x2x8 space ..pushing a fan that small in three tents isn't going to do the job.the duck needs to be a little bigger to push enough air to three tents so a bigger fan...
If so you wanted good negative pressure to pull the heat out.. That's just half of it . Than you need to supply fresh cool air to the tent . Another fan is required to do so. don't make the mistake of venting the hot air right out side of your tent . You want to totally get rid of that air so it does make its way back in or set around your tent driving the heat up. Attic or basement should be good to vent the air to.Also I agree with OP That 36" is no room what so ever . U need to have exhaust room light room and medium room . It can be done with no room for error. First time grower give your self room to see how the plant grows and room to move your light up and down and airflow .... Good luck hope everything works out keep us posted :)

Thanks for the feedback, wish I had a bit larger head room to work with right now but I dont

If you are interested this will give you an idea of what I have ordered. The light is not finished, I'm waiting on the mail. If you have any questions on any of the items feel free to ask. I will explain what I can, and help direct you to what I can't

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=308360

Have fun & good luck
Fuggzy

Thanks Ill take a look

Latest posts

Latest posts