What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fruits from the wild: Breeding with pure sativas Mextiza and Ghana

Carraxe

Veteran
Hi
I've lots of Mextiza F2 seeds. It is a great Cannabiogen strain made from two pure sativas. It is veeery fast and veeery tasty. Something unique. It produces little bud but it is ready in 8 weeks. Very strong sativa high.

I made the F2 from a selected F1 female from the original batch.
I have to make a repro, just to conserve it, so I plan to plant a lot of them and then select both males and females before crossing. It takes a lot of time, resources and effort, but believe me, this weed deserves it.

I also have a repro I made some years ago with their Ghana strain. Also pure sativa, very special effect and taste but very slow maturation, it needed something like 18 weeks. Lots of resin on this one as well. I have to run them again before I lost the seeds.

Well, since I have to reproduce these seeds before they get old, I've decided to cross them after selection, in order to select different fruits, being the most interesting one getting faster plants with the effects of the pure Ghanas in the F2, and increase hybrid vigour of them.

Mextiza x Ghana
Ghana x Mextiza
F2, selection, ect...

Always trying to keep the pure sativa high that makes them special.

I'll start in a month or two, after the end of this season. I'll upload pictures.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Super nice Carraxe!
You just got a subscribed voayeur to watch your show :)
Best of luck

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I've just taken the Ghana seeds out of the fridge. Little and dark, let's hope to take advantage of their magic.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Phylos says you have a good cross on your hands.
https://testing.phylosbioscience.com/sample/genotype/poz6d4gy

I've found mextiza makes some great crosses and the oaxacan seems to dominate the f2s I grew. Makes sense being s1 "landrace"

My goal is to blend line bred mextiza to line bred angolese Thai so I will watch what comes of your wild fruits.

Crosses I've made have been quite consistent, sugary and dominated by Mextiza. Check my threads, I've crossed it with Jack herer with great results.

The link you send is very interesting and seems to prove that Oaxacan '79 strain is got some afghan-skunk in it, doesn't it?

Some dutch genes flying around and mixing with a native population some generations ago would explain some Oaxaca '79 characteristics like fast maturation, crazy trichome production and inusual flavors.

Koondense

Veteran
I believe most of(very high %) available cannabis varieties have eighter afghani or skunk infusion, seems also the fabled africans like angola have some in-mixed genes. No way to know the complete breeding background for any line, only from a honest breeder's work. Any previous source can be questionable mostly because of unkept diaries, poor observation or any other causes.
So what's important is how a variety works for you on all levels, as a grower, breeder, medical user, smoker, vaper...

Carraxe, which JH line did you get for the mextiza cross? It's one of the most interestingly sounding hybrids for my liking. Got a thread on it?

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I grew Ghana too and i didn't think they were so strong

Hi
You're right, they aren't so strong. I don't think that really exist a real "strong" sativa landrace . They do exist in the indica side, but my experience with sativa landraces point to mild power, more like and uplifting mood than a high.

Have you tested a stronger landrace? Which one?

Mextiza is stronger, but it is made from multiple sativas and probably has some rare funk on it, that's why I choose this one for the cross.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
ace seeds Malawi

Hi Siever
Did you like Malawi effect? Do you believe it is a pure sativa?

I grew a bunch some time ago. I grew it, made some crosses and F2ed it. I never grew anything coming from these seeds after I smoked it, and I didn't keep any mom.

I really believe that definitely it isn't a sativa, and of course it is far from being pure. Have a look at the buds.

I didn't like the effect much (mixed effect, for sure not as energetic as pure sativas), and it had near no flavor. I won't spend that many weeks (12? 14?) again for this strain to grow, there are many much better things both in the hybrid and pure sativa spectrum.

I believe the Ghana carries a nice, real story. Its growth, its character... you can feel the authenticity. It could be from anywhere, I don't really mind, but there is no doubt that it is a fruit of the nature, shaped by the hands of caring people through generations.

After growing and crossing a good amount of fine herbs, I really suspect that the story of the origin of the Malawi Killer clone they used to fix the strain characteristics is very different from the story ACE tells.

Cheers

Siever

Veteran
I like Malawi a lot. Better than Kali mist for example, but that's a personal matter.
If it's a pure sativa, I don't know.
Which hybrids do you think are better? Lot's of people like C99, but I've never smoked that strain.

Carraxe

Veteran
I like Malawi a lot. Better than Kali mist for example, but that's a personal matter.
If it's a pure sativa, I don't know.
Which hybrids do you think are better? Lot's of people like C99, but I've never smoked that strain.

Yes, it is a question of personal matter. I didn't find in Malawi what I was looking for, but there is no doubt: there are many satisfied ACE Malawi customers.

The problem with the hybrids is that you have to reach a compromise between different factors to control, being the main three: production, time of maturation and effect.

I didn't found any weed that was fast (less than 10-12 weeks) and productive that had also a fantastic energetic sativa high.

I understand that all this C99, Jack Herer, Malawi, etc, are plants made with this idea. All of them are different, there are many degrees of sativa/indica mixing, but all of them lack what I found in Mextiza: a high that really makes you THAT happy and active. These strains provide very good plants, some produce a lot, some taste very nice. But the effect is still hybrid, and after some time, a couple of hours maybe, you feel tired.

If you smoke a 20 weeks haze or Double Jam or any crazy tropical sativa mix that is the hell to grow, you won't get this comedown, but these weeds don't have much flavor and produce little.

What I am doing now is trying to find a better hybrid for personal use, since I can't find it: weed that can be grown indoors, that is ready in less than 14 weeks and that can provide an energetic and happy high. More similar to the Mextiza high than the stone high from the Jack. I love Mextiza, but I want variations in flavor, I want thicker stems and I want a little more production.

I've redefined the steps I'm taking to reach this. One will be to cross the males with my Jack Herer, just to know what the Ghana adds to the mix. It is easy to do and can provide very nice knowledge, years before finishing the work.

Cheers

Siever

Veteran
I grew Double Jam & I found it very weak, totally not worth it.
Which Jack Herer do you have? I once smoked some in Breda (can't remember the name, but it was in the basement) & that is 'till today one of the best (most probably THE best) I've ever smoked.

Siever

Carraxe

Veteran
I had some double jam to smoke years ago, gifted from a friend, but the sample was too old, so the effect was just sleepy and lacked flavor. They told me that it wasn't like that before. I don't think I'm ever growing a twentysomething week strain, while I can find things that are better. I think that Ghana is promising for a landrace, and she doesn't need that many months.

I have a Jack from the 90s, they call it an "indica" pheno. It doesn't stretch and is done in 10 weeks. I'm working with it, I have a thread about. Maybe you'll like.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=335903

Cheers

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
What I am doing now is trying to find a better hybrid for personal use, since I can't find it: weed that can be grown indoors, that is ready in less than 14 weeks and that can provide an energetic and happy high. More similar to the Mextiza high than the stone high from the Jack. I love Mextiza, but I want variations in flavor, I want thicker stems and I want a little more production.
Cheers
nice post carraxe. we seem to have similar breeding goals...
i'm looking for a no-compromise clean- and clear-headed
sativa cross that finishes in 12-14wks, indoors.
for me it's all about the quality of the high-
frostiness, aroma/flavor, strength, bag appeal, volume, etc. are all deeply secondary.

best regards

Carraxe

Veteran
nice post carraxe. we seem to have similar breeding goals...
i'm looking for a no-compromise clean- and clear-headed
sativa cross that finishes in 12-14wks, indoors.
for me it's all about the quality of the high-
frostiness, aroma/flavor, strength, bag appeal, volume, etc. are all deeply secondary.

best regards

Hi
Thanks for your thoughts.
Honestly, I have to say that curiosity played an important role on all this thing. After feeling the need of crossing these fine herbs and explore their aromas, I looked for a goal, some justification for all this time and work I will expend.

AFAIK, it could be impossible to reach that objective. I don't know how these genes will mix, but it could happen that I still get 18 weekers in the first generations, for example, making the crossing impractical.

I do aim for good taste and nice high, with different flavors. It is something that was already in the original strains and I would like to keep. Don't you really mind the taste?

Good luck in your search, let me know how it goes. What are you mixing?