What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me build my first DTW coco 2 315W

Timtimmay

I am starting a new cycle in a 4X8 tent with two 315W sun system LECs spaced evenly apart. I have had several soil runs in here, now I want to set up an automated top drip drain to waste system. I have the manifold, pump, and timer etc all set up.

My buddy rocking 315s and DTW too drop coco advised me to do 6 1.75gal plastic pots per light in my scrog and use Cutting Edge Solutions nutrient line up and Royal Gold Tupur For medium.

I was thinking of doing 3 plants per light in 3Gal Smart pots for flower, using just royal gold tupur with CES nutes unless otherwise convinced to get something else. Feed multiple times per day as many as possible. I'm afraid a 3Gal may be too much? 2 looks too small. Any input here helps a lot.

I was also considering mixing Very high quality Earthworm Casting @5-10% possiblyand more perlite into the Tupur to try and create an organic environment? I would still want it to drain quickly and multiple feelings a day, I just want more of the living soil aspects as I will be brewing teas and using beneficials such as the CES additives and anything else I get my hands on. Thanks for your time!

packerfan79

Veteran
I think you might be a bit underlit. 3 or 4 315 would be better. 4 x8 =32 sq ft. Your only getting around 20 watts per sq. Ft. I know Cmh does more than hps, but at 20 watts per sq ft yield and density may be lacking. With hps you want at least 50 watts per sq ft, with Cmh you may be able to pull decent from 3 315. 4 would be really good.

Timtimmay

I have a few extra laying around I'll try and squeeze another one into this tent thank you for your suggestion!

packerfan79

Veteran
I have a few extra laying around I'll try and squeeze another one into this tent thank you for your suggestion!

Here to help. I have been thinking about the Cmh but they don't suit my style of growing. I may grab a 630 De cmh for my veg room. Or mabey a double 315 like a green beam. I have been researching these for a while, got no funds for this at the moment. So it may not be till harvest or tax time.

Timtimmay

No regrets on the sunsystem 315s especially in summer time. Winter is coming quick so heat isn't an issue as much anymore. Yield is for sure based on how much light you've got. I've gotten average 300G in a 4X4 per light. Cheap to keep them on and less heat!

packerfan79

Veteran
No regrets on the sunsystem 315s especially in summer time. Winter is coming quick so heat isn't an issue as much anymore. Yield is for sure based on how much light you've got. I've gotten average 300G in a 4X4 per light. Cheap to keep them on and less heat!

You can get a much bigger yield out of a 4x4 if you get everything dialed in.also plant numbers dictate yield. It's easier to get a higher yield with higher plant counts. Scrogs definitely help with canopy management.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
You're better off with 3 plants per light as you suggested, the spectrum may be better than HPS but they would make a better crop with 3 ....you're also only having to deal with 6 plants total not 12

Learn how the system works and modify the next one as you require

Stick with canna coco and nutes, they'll grow you some fine herb

As for drippers and DTW you should look at HGOs thread in the stickies in the coco forum

Might even convince you to go with 2 vertical lamps with no reflector

PS don't bother with big pots both HGO & I have grown 1/2P plants in 1 gallon pots, Dansbuds has done the same if not more, check his posts

Timtimmay

I will build a equalized pressure PVC manifold like PICOs with open ended 1/4 drip lines. I have a few different GPH range pumps and a second interval timer to perfect how much water comes out each feeding and adjust how many feeds how long a day. I have 3x3 tables I'll add a drain to and pipe the house outside, I also have a dedicated grow room wet/dry shop vac from lowes to suck out any standing water. I will look into HGOs thread! Thanks for all of the replies guys. Helps me a lot! I'll stick with 1-2 gal pots, thanks!

Timtimmay

I'd also like to keep plant #s down, I know how to train them into a nice and even scrog. I may add a 600hps in the middle or add another 315. Thinking 6 1-2Gal smart pots? Or maybe if any store local have them some square plastic 1.75G pots.. I'm not sure wether to use smart pots or plastic?

Timtimmay

Also my CMH are vertically hung but in reflectors.. I like HGOs post just reread it. I've read it a few times threw before posting here... There are just a few things I wasn't sure of such as pot size and plant count.. +any helpful tips! More lighting is a great idea, I can probably control the heat much better now that it's winter.

I was gonna put maybe some cinder blocks on their side under the drain table to lift it off the ground and have a water run off pipe, or maybe some 2 gal buckets? Don't want it too high off the ground

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't go nuts watering after transplant. I prefer a wet to moist cycle until they become acclimated.

Timtimmay

Yeah I gave them about a cup of water in a 6x6 pot after transplanting from my aerocloner. Been three days they are turning a nice green out the top but not drying or drowning. Will allow the roots to dry a bit before the second water.