What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

canna coco tips?

GreaseGardens

hey guys I am not liking the way my plants are growing using the recipe with the base Floranova..
I am getting into week 3 of veg and start seeing deficiencies where there shouldn't be any. its been couple months trying to figure it out that I am sick of it. I have switched to canna because I vaguely used it once ( in rockwool ) and I was satisfied.
However, this time I am using coco. I use tap water which ppm is 100. One of my big questions about canna is whether I should use cal mag or not.. from what I have read in other threads, people are either for it or not, I know it also has to do with the cultivar and what it likes. in my case its og, and we all know ogs are picky little monsters :biggrin:
I also am seeing that people are doing fine with just a n b through the whole cycle, except some add pk boosters in flower. this already sounds a million times better than the last recipe I was using, and I'm hoping I don't have to go back after trying canna.
If you guys have experience and any inputs about canna coco it is greatly appreciated here , as this will basically be my first time using it.
thanks again in advance. :tiphat:

What kind of deficiencies are occurring? I don't use canna but Dynagro, and i do have to use a cal mag supplement to bring it all together. Around week 3 is i believe when it became very apparent that the cal mag was needed.

Hopefully others with actual canna experience will chime in as well.

I actually use only Dynagro FP and Cal Mag from start to finish in tap water. Doesn't get much simpler and it just plain works for me.

bmp420gti

can you be clearer on what you mean with deficiencies? are you asking about coc or nutrients? Coco is inert regarding nutrients, unless you are asking about pre-charge? Canna comes precharged with calmag, ive never had any issues with just using straight from the bag, I recently switched to sanctuary soils coco since its premixed with perlite and lava rocks.

I ran a Fire OG cut in both canna coco and botanicare, in the same run, with RO water. Saw no differences from the coco, using House and Garden nutrients I only added calmag once a week because of the strain, otherwise I never run extra calmag

gr866

Veteran
A&B

200 ppm in veg
400 ppm in bloom
cal/magic @120 +/- ppm

Veg to harvest

the rest of the canna program stays the same.

GR

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
hey guys I am not liking the way my plants are growing using the recipe with the base Floranova..
I am getting into week 3 of veg and start seeing deficiencies where there shouldn't be any. its been couple months trying to figure it out that I am sick of it. I have switched to canna because I vaguely used it once ( in rockwool ) and I was satisfied.
However, this time I am using coco. I use tap water which ppm is 100. One of my big questions about canna is whether I should use cal mag or not.. from what I have read in other threads, people are either for it or not, I know it also has to do with the cultivar and what it likes. in my case its og, and we all know ogs are picky little monsters :biggrin:
I also am seeing that people are doing fine with just a n b through the whole cycle, except some add pk boosters in flower. this already sounds a million times better than the last recipe I was using, and I'm hoping I don't have to go back after trying canna.
If you guys have experience and any inputs about canna coco it is greatly appreciated here , as this will basically be my first time using it.

What type of deficiencies? Been using Floranova for years with no problems

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I would start off with 0.4 EC of 50/50 Canna A+B and a high P/K flowering food (PK 13/14, Plagron Green Sensation of 0-9-10, or Atami B'Cuzz 0-20-30). Reason: the high P stimulates root growth for the seedling, and the high K creates a strong, healthy stem, to the point that you don't get purple stems or seedlings that need to be supported. With high K, gravity and wind only strengthen the stem, to where the plant grows faster because more nutrients and water make it to the foliage.

I would change that to 0.4 EC regular nutrients and 0.2 EC of the high P/K food in vegging, so you still have good root and stem development and a smooth transition into flowering.

At flowering, increase the P/K and magnesium.

Also, don't be afraid to use pure coco on top of a drainage layer of perlite or growrocks depending on plant size. Just water less often, and don't be afraid of letting it dry out - as long as you provide P/K for great root growth. Just look for wilting or nutrient deficiencies to show how much you can get away with.

Also, all dried media need to be hydrated before use. That includes worm castings, bagged soil and compost, and coco too. Just put coco in a tub of pH adjusted water for a day or so. Put perlite in a tub and add warm water until the perlite floats. About 10 minutes later, scoop up everything that floats, and disregard the rest. Put Growrocks in water and rince to get rid of the dust. Again let it sit in water for at least a day. Reason: If you don't, the medium will kill all the small roothairs and suck the moisture right out of any plant - which shows up as signs of underwatering - yellowing plants, poor nutrient uptake.

The high P/K, by increasing the root mass, eliminates the need for root stimulators. Also, because of the large root mass, nutrient concentrations can be much lower (EC 0.8 max on top of water EC) because much more nutrients are absorbed. This also pays off in the taste of the weed - much less chemical, and very pretty ash.

GreaseGardens

What type of deficiencies? Been using Floranova for years with no problems
the plants I am growing are about 4 to 5 feet tall and 3-4 ft wide, around week 3 of flower I start noticing a lot of lower leaf dying off. it could be from not enough light hitting the foliage, but I have ran AN and plants are not affected.. I also feel like floranova since its so thick it can be very inconsistent, if it doesn't get shaken well enough... that being said, I wanted to switch to a more reliable and less muddy base

GreaseGardens

thank you all for your kind inputs , as to clarify I mean canna coco nuttrients , not the media..
so far, the plants have reacted positively to the switch and have started to see some new growth. using about 12-14 ml/g of a n b 3.5/g camg 5ml/g silica which equals out to around 750 ppm in week 4 veg.

GreaseGardens

I would start off with 0.4 EC of 50/50 Canna A+B and a high P/K flowering food (PK 13/14, Plagron Green Sensation of 0-9-10, or Atami B'Cuzz 0-20-30). Reason: the high P stimulates root growth for the seedling, and the high K creates a strong, healthy stem, to the point that you don't get purple stems or seedlings that need to be supported. With high K, gravity and wind only strengthen the stem, to where the plant grows faster because more nutrients and water make it to the foliage.

I would change that to 0.4 EC regular nutrients and 0.2 EC of the high P/K food in vegging, so you still have good root and stem development and a smooth transition into flowering.

At flowering, increase the P/K and magnesium.

Also, don't be afraid to use pure coco on top of a drainage layer of perlite or growrocks depending on plant size. Just water less often, and don't be afraid of letting it dry out - as long as you provide P/K for great root growth. Just look for wilting or nutrient deficiencies to show how much you can get away with.

Also, all dried media need to be hydrated before use. That includes worm castings, bagged soil and compost, and coco too. Just put coco in a tub of pH adjusted water for a day or so. Put perlite in a tub and add warm water until the perlite floats. About 10 minutes later, scoop up everything that floats, and disregard the rest. Put Growrocks in water and rince to get rid of the dust. Again let it sit in water for at least a day. Reason: If you don't, the medium will kill all the small roothairs and suck the moisture right out of any plant - which shows up as signs of underwatering - yellowing plants, poor nutrient uptake.

The high P/K, by increasing the root mass, eliminates the need for root stimulators. Also, because of the large root mass, nutrient concentrations can be much lower (EC 0.8 max on top of water EC) because much more nutrients are absorbed. This also pays off in the taste of the weed - much less chemical, and very pretty ash.
thanks Tanzanian for the great info!
so to clarify a bit more , I want to add some pk booster in veg early? wat what ratio do you recommend? I usually add root excelurator in veg for a root stimulator.

ULMW

I follow the tried and tested Canna Coco advice from their site.
I use Buffer Agent ( Cal/Mag) plus Canna Coco A & B. Canna PK 13/14 (1 wk only at 6 wks before harvest date) and I find Advanced Nutrients Nirvana works nicely together.
3 wks prior to harvest, I completely flush for 30 minutes. Then no more feedings. Harvest once the plant has eaten up all nutrients from the leaves and they have yellowed or gone red, and the trichs are bursting almost between cloudy and amber. Only water occassinally. Try to harvest with a dry plant pot.

For veg I use Canna Buffer Agent
( Cal/Mag)
Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow Coco A & B

Seedlings are started in Root Riots and fed with Bio Bizz Root Juice.

Hope this is some use.
Happy growing!

3 week flush seems like alot for coco. Is it possible you are essentially killing the plant too early? Just wondering if you could had developed a little more mass in that time frame had you kept feeding longer. Do you find a benefit to this longer flush? Just curious.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
thanks Tanzanian for the great info!
so to clarify a bit more , I want to add some pk booster in veg early? wat what ratio do you recommend? I usually add root excelurator in veg for a root stimulator.
You can/should use a little throughout the grow. Also, the pH can be 6.0 throughout the grow too.

You can still use a drop of root stimulator, however it isn't really necessary. Phosphorus is the food the roots are made of, and root stimulators on their own are about stimulating root growth without feeding root growth.

I think the nutrient companies could save growers a lot of problems by just making their basic nutrients something like an NPK of 5-8-12. People would use much lower EC's, not need root stimulators, and get less insect pressure too.

On top of a water EC of 0.6 (R/O filtered, re-mineralized by putting magnesium lime/maerl in R/O filtered water, and mixing it 1:3 with more R/O filtered water):

Seedling: 0.2 EC of Canna Coco A+B, and 0.2 EC of Plagron Green Sensation 0-9-10.
Veg: 0.4 EC of Canna Coco A+B, and 0.2 EC of Plagron Green Sensation
Flower: 0.4 EC of Canna Coco A+B, 0.4 EC Plagron Green Sensation, extra magnesium
Ripening: Hammerhead 0-4-10

Last edited:
I use canna coco full line along with their coco coir and have killed it every run in oxy pots fill and drain. I use calmag throught the grow at half strength

Rondon

My plants would NOT look good with 0.2 to 0.4 EC of Canna coco base nutrient at any stage but early seedling and rooted cuttings.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Floranova can settle out creating a layer of sludge. This will cause nutrient issues. It is not always easy to notice until it throws the weight of the bottle off when shaking, long after it is effecting nutrient profile.

I fixed it by making a drill attachment. It is a thick nutrient with heavy residue. I keep mums long term on it and am switching to a cleaner solution, feeling that it clogs up the medium over time.

Full dose cal mag every water or ? Which brand cal mag? What is your final ec? How much ppm is your tap water?

Yes every water. I use general hydro. Honestly I don't know what ppm my tap water is and I don't really measure ec. I can tell you that my ppm is usually hovering right around where canna recommends after adding all nutrients. I use canna a,b,cannazyme, rhizzotonic, ph, and boost. I have found that if I'm in a pinch I can skimp on the rhizzo when they are bigger as well as the cannazyme.