What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi feminized

Texicwaste666

Malawi Update new pics

Malawi Update new pics

these Malawi are a trip, ever changing. Some of the tops in back look like they have split into small branches and are growing out from the stem, is that the way they are supposed to be? I need some expert opinions here. These are the ones that have me concerned and the overgrown really leggy few in the front. Should i chop the overgrown ones down a little? i'm having to pull them just to get some light to the Chemdawg. the yellow glow is my HPS coming on, the white light pics are with the CMH only.

this one is really leggy and spaced out internodes,
front left Malawi is really leggy .jpg

this is my favorite plant of all of them
back left Malawi, a beauty.jpg

Chems are always chunky fuckers, this would have been better if it had gotten more light
chem chunkyness.jpg

more Chem
Chem growing up.jpg

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

more pics

more pics

here's another Chem shot
chem taking off.jpg

front right Malawi is budding nicely
front right Malawi taking off now.jpg

back right Malawi
Malawi budding.jpg

this thing is really overgrown on the left center next to the Chem far left
should I chop the lanky ones.jpg

Texicwaste666

more pics

more pics

some of these tops are really weird the way they are growing out from the stem, hope they get better
some of these tops are weird the way thewy are forming up.jpg

some are leggy and some are tight
weird.jpg

are they supposed to grow like this?
WTF.jpg

ULMW

TW666, All looking good star.. Yep tops vary and so do formations. Rest yourself and look forward to seeing what each expression provides come harvest.
Enjoy as much as you can the frustration as you learn how your plants grow this time and then chalk them up in your experiences and learning for your next grow. Patience here is what really gets tested but at the same time yields the greatest rewards whenit is allowed to filfill naturally. Hold strong Star and keep up the caring and great job you are doing in your garden. Peace be with you and the plants.

Texicwaste666

TW666, All looking good star.. Yep tops vary and so do formations. Rest yourself and look forward to seeing what each expression provides come harvest.
Enjoy as much as you can the frustration as you learn how your plants grow this time and then chalk them up in your experiences and learning for your next grow. Patience here is what really gets tested but at the same time yields the greatest rewards whenit is allowed to filfill naturally. Hold strong Star and keep up the caring and great job you are doing in your garden. Peace be with you and the plants.
Thanks ULMW, patience is the word. Yea, each expression is different. But remember, in Africa this stuff is considered bush weed, even though it is some of the best in the world. it's a trip, but a fun one. and yea, it is very frustrating, never grown anything like it before. Always changing. Cheers and peace.

misterD

misterD farmhouse
Veteran
Hola ace fams!

Got a question ... What about malawi or and her hybrids under led's?? :D

Did someone's try out?!

Texicwaste666

Are the standard Malawis even more varied?
good question Claude.I would think so based on these because this isn't just one plant doing these things, but all three of the second pheno. Maybe they got jizzed by the males before I got them out? We will see as they are all three growing the same way, in different pots. I always check the runoff compared to the feed, and everything looks good, ec and ph wise.

Texicwaste666

Hola ace fams!

Got a question ... What about malawi or and her hybrids under led's?? :D

Did someone's try out?!
A lot of people here have grown under led's with great results. LED's, CMH, HID, it depends on your preference, but they all will do the trick, combining is always good.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
these Malawi are a trip, ever changing. Some of the tops in back look like they have split into small branches and are growing out from the stem, is that the way they are supposed to be? I need some expert opinions here. These are the ones that have me concerned and the overgrown really leggy few in the front. Should i chop the overgrown ones down a little? i'm having to pull them just to get some light to the Chemdawg. the yellow glow is my HPS coming on, the white light pics are with the CMH only.

Hi Texicwaste666,

You can really appreciate more changes, different phases, irregular flowering through the different parts of the plant and reflowerings in pure sativas with longer flowering times.
Their flowering and the changes they can produce through the flowering are much more complex than the fast flowering indica strains based on afghani genetics.

Your Malawi plants look very healthy and they are flowering with good rhythm, i think we already discussed privately about the correct feeding for our Malawi.
Your plants talk by themselves confirming that you are doing the things properly, so encourage yourself! ;)

I would provide at this stage an EC of around 1-1.2 for the taller, more extreme sativa phenotypes with thin leaves and long internodes, and an EC around 1.2-1.4 for the more compact phenotypes with wider leaf.
With proper light intensity and proper feeding, your Malawis should explode in the upcoming weeks forming big colas after finishing the streching.
You can increase the EC from 1.2 up to 1.8 or even 2 when they are forming colas in mid flowering.

Regarding the variability of our Malawi strain, both versions (regular and fem) are made with the same population and almost with the same parental plants, so the outcome, phenos and quality is more or less the same in both versions. Probably the fem version is better and stronger in average than the standard one.

Malawi's breeding is mainly based on the Old and New Killer Malawi parental plants, but i also add other different parental plants, as i firmly believe that both goals can be achieved:

1) Fix the best traits found in the line.
2) To keep enough genetic diversity so the line can keep its health, vigor and potency through the stabilization process. Take in mind that current Malawi releases are P4 generation ... if i would only worked her through backcrosses or through other heavily inbreeding process like selfing the line would easily lost her extreme potency, resin production, vigor and yield. To keep some desirable genetic diversity is essential when you are inbreeding further than 4th generation.

I check your thread frequently and everything is progressing fine, but you can always reach me through email or pm in case you have an urgent doubt and i didn't reply it in your thread. We are here to help. :tiphat:
Best wishes for the rest of the flowering!

Texicwaste666

Hi Texicwaste666,

You can really appreciate more changes, different phases, irregular flowering through the different parts of the plant and reflowerings in pure sativas with longer flowering times.
Their flowering and the changes they can produce through the flowering are much more complex than the fast flowering indica strains based on afghani genetics.

Your Malawi plants look very healthy and they are flowering with good rhythm, i think we already discussed privately about the correct feeding for our Malawi.
Your plants talk by themselves confirming that you are doing the things properly, so encourage yourself! ;)

I would provide at this stage an EC of around 1-1.2 for the taller, more extreme sativa phenotypes with thin leaves and long internodes, and an EC around 1.2-1.4 for the more compact phenotypes with wider leaf.
With proper light intensity and proper feeding, your Malawis should explode in the upcoming weeks forming big colas after finishing the streching.
You can increase the EC from 1.2 up to 1.8 or even 2 when they are forming colas in mid flowering.

Regarding the variability of our Malawi strain, both versions (regular and fem) are made with the same population and almost with the same parental plants, so the outcome, phenos and quality is more or less the same in both versions. Probably the fem version is better and stronger in average than the standard one.

Malawi's breeding is mainly based on the Old and New Killer Malawi parental plants, but i also add other different parental plants, as i firmly believe that both goals can be achieved:

1) Fix the best traits found in the line.
2) To keep enough genetic diversity so the line can keep its health, vigor and potency through the stabilization process. Take in mind that current Malawi releases are P4 generation ... if i would only worked her through backcrosses or through other heavily inbreeding process like selfing the line would easily lost her extreme potency, resin production, vigor and yield. To keep some desirable genetic diversity is essential when you are inbreeding further than 4th generation.

I check your thread frequently and everything is progressing fine, but you can always reach me through email or pm in case you have an urgent doubt and i didn't reply it in your thread. We are here to help. :tiphat:
Best wishes for the rest of the flowering!
thanks Dubi for dropping in with the much needed help. You are the best. The genetics are so fine, and stable i have had no issues, and i did expect a bunch. My concerns mostly revolve around just not knowing the strains, but I like the worry and challenges that go with this plant. I am having a ton of fun and like you said, look forward to the end result. I don't want it to be easy. There are no other breeders that will go the extra measure to explain the genetics and proper feeding to get the best results like you. What a honor to have you chime in and lend a hand. It is immeasurable how important that is. Thanks to this reply, I now know to decrease my feed from 1.8 to 1.0 for the tall ones, and a little higher for my favorite one in the back, which I don't want to screw up. You have provided a proper schedule to work in. I do have one more question though, and if you answer here it will help others. What do you consider proper light intensity? You mention that a lot. I run a 1200w HPS with 2 315w CMH and try to stay in the sweet spot of about 18" ( 45.72 cm) above the canopy. My temp stays below 80f ( 27c), but they can certainly handle the heat with little stress. So, in closing i was just interested in what proper intensity means. Again, thank you for stopping in. You the man.

Last edited:

ULMW

TW666 , Just scrogged my Malawi today so am in the process a good few weeks behind you but watching along. Scrogging is a great way to keep the plants down. Yep in Africa we do let herbs grow wild and they get alot of mistreatment, often to avoid being spotted growing too tall we step on them , like super cropping in the African heat and sun the soon recover the ones that are meant to at least and then grow lower until harvest. Have a blessed Independance Day too. Happy growing!

Texicwaste666

TW666 , Just scrogged my Malawi today so am in the process a good few weeks behind you but watching along. Scrogging is a great way to keep the plants down. Yep in Africa we do let herbs grow wild and they get alot of mistreatment, often to avoid being spotted growing too tall we step on them , like super cropping in the African heat and sun the soon recover the ones that are meant to at least and then grow lower until harvest. Have a blessed Independance Day too. Happy growing!
thank you ULMW for the kind words. I read that was the case in Africa, just stomp em down and they pop right back up. Bad ass. Hang the scrog higher than mine as they will grow through, and if you look, those weird looking ones, those were the little stems that just kept going through the scrog and getting big. Hang it about 18" above the base and i think you will do better than me. Don't mix strains in it either like I did, bad news. The Malawi will dominate anything that grows near it, survival of the fittest and all that tommyrott. Cheers and peace brother.

deepwaterdude

Happy 4th, Tex! Glad to see dubi chimed in with the goods, and you seem like a precise dude with what you do, so smooth sailing;)
You asked about light intensity; if anything, you've got a sh*t ton of light on those babes, almost 2k. I don't know if it would help anything to decrease light intensity as you've got great temps and even canopy, etc., but you COULD easily. The 2 CMHs alone are almost the ideal light for that space at 24" from canopy, or just the 1200hps, but I've seen how much sativas dig the cmh. Old Toker got huge buds off of 6 plants with 860w vert. And he's an awful, I mean just terrible grower;) Spugg did an amazing mini malawi or two under about 70w of screw in LEDs and killed it.
Anyhoo, there is a measure of the maximum light plants can take in in one day, I don't know how detrimental it is to exceed that limit or if plants shut down. I might even consider raising the current lights a foot as it may be 18" is a tad close for 2k light. Now I wouldn't call this advice, just ruminations of a dude who tried and failed to kill OT's plants, plus the fact that I'm almost definitely wrong about all this, as people will point out. But I'd still be tempted to check it out, even if it comes from me. Sorry to blab on your thread, love the plants and how they're going. I've got a couple outside;)

Texicwaste666

Happy 4th, Tex! Glad to see dubi chimed in with the goods, and you seem like a precise dude with what you do, so smooth sailing;)
You asked about light intensity; if anything, you've got a sh*t ton of light on those babes, almost 2k. I don't know if it would help anything to decrease light intensity as you've got great temps and even canopy, etc., but you COULD easily. The 2 CMHs alone are almost the ideal light for that space at 24" from canopy, or just the 1200hps, but I've seen how much sativas dig the cmh. Old Toker got huge buds off of 6 plants with 860w vert. And he's an awful, I mean just terrible grower;) Spugg did an amazing mini malawi or two under about 70w of screw in LEDs and killed it.
Anyhoo, there is a measure of the maximum light plants can take in in one day, I don't know how detrimental it is to exceed that limit or if plants shut down. I might even consider raising the current lights a foot as it may be 18" is a tad close for 2k light. Now I wouldn't call this advice, just ruminations of a dude who tried and failed to kill OT's plants, plus the fact that I'm almost definitely wrong about all this, as people will point out. But I'd still be tempted to check it out, even if it comes from me. Sorry to blab on your thread, love the plants and how they're going. I've got a couple outside;)
Always good to hear from you DWD, I was thinking of cutting back on the HPS a little. Maybe drop to 750w to see what happens. happy fourth to you to. Cheers

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hey dubi, I was just interested in what proper light intensity means. I'm running 1 1200w HPS and two 315w CMH with the HPS in the center. It is about 18" to 2' over the plants. Is that too close and too much light. i can reduce it to 75% if you think that would be more productive. The yeloow is pretty saturating right now at 1200w. Also, my tempas are relatively good at between 75 f and 80 f for when the lights are on, and around 65-68 when off. Humidity is about 56%. I will post your suggestions on my thread so everybody that has the same concerns that are looking in can get the proper answer to this question. again, thank you for all the wonderful help you have given. Big gratitude. Cheers and peace

Hi Texicwaste666,

Your light intensity sounds very good and to combine different kind of lights and spectrums usually improves the quality of your light and therefore the quality and quantity of the results too. Malawi likes intense light intensity, we recommend a minimum of 400-600 w per 1,2 m2, but she works best (especially in flowering) with more intense light intensity, 1000w per m2 is perfect but you must keep the temps in the correct range, between 24-29ºC (or 75ºF to 85ºF), be careful with the low temps at night (they should never go down from 75ºF) or it will drecrease their flower production.

Hope it helps. dubi

Texicwaste666

Hi Texicwaste666,

Your light intensity sounds very good and to combine different kind of lights and spectrums usually improves the quality of your light and therefore the quality and quantity of the results too. Malawi likes intense light intensity, we recommend a minimum of 400-600 w per 1,2 m2, but she works best (especially in flowering) with more intense light intensity, 1000w per m2 is perfect but you must keep the temps in the correct range, between 24-29ºC (or 75ºF to 85ºF), be careful with the low temps at night (they should never go down from 75ºF) or it will drecrease their flower production.

Hope it helps. dubi
thanks dubi, always helpful. I didn't know about the lows, and will keep at 24 + degrees when lights are off. And, now I know the amount of light they are getting is good. Cheers.

Great job man looks like a jungle not sure how effective with Malawi it would be but defoliation can stop stretch hit with superthrive day b4 to minimize stress maybe lil molasses even pinch tops maybe Dubi or some one else with more experience can say either way congrats looks like your killing it