What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

white mold on side of smartpots? good/bad?

Onida

Hi everyone,
I'm currently growing a couple of Barney's Vanilla Kush and Im having some worries about this white stuff growing to the side of my smartpot. Hoping is trichoderma, I'd like some insight from who knows it better.
here my set-up:

sub: Bionova coco bricks + Perlite (50-50)
pot: 1 gallon smartpot
fert: canna coco A+B, Cannazym, CannaBoost and H&G Drip Clean
Irrigation: Tropf Blumat (1 drop every 15 secs)
Light: LED CREE CXB3070 3500K 60W
Box: Mammoth lite
Air circulation: IN - passive; Out- in line elicoidal extractor 110m^3/h

I've just switched to 12-12 yesterday after 6 weeks of vegging.

The girls look fine and they grow vigorously, but since the beginning I've noticed this white stuff growing on my smartpots. At first, I thought it was some kind of salt build-up but now I'm worried it could be Botrytis or Powderly Mildew since it started appearing on the sub surface as well.
Temps and humidity are well in range during light cycles but during the night in the root zone it goes often up to 85% RH.

I've read that canna products have some trichoderma in them, so I'm hoping thats the case (considering the overall well-being of my plants) can anyone confirm/refute this?

here is some pictures of my ladies

stizzle

Looks like mildew to me, personally I would ditch the constant drip and feed once per day until there is a bit of runoff and don't let them sit in the runoff. Get a fan to circulate some air.

kazorla

Spray it with 3% H202 (hydrogen peroxide) mold will disappear and your roots will thank you for extra oxygen.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
That's mildew .... very bad news

Flush though with Cannazyme and keep it up for the rest of the grow

Canna coco has some trichoderma in it, but that needs you to take control

That's the worst care of coco I've seen ever

If you're coco is that bad you have appalling ventilation and will get bud rot

Onida

first of all thanks everybody for the answers!

Looks like mildew to me, personally I would ditch the constant drip and feed once per day until there is a bit of runoff and don't let them sit in the runoff. Get a fan to circulate some air.

I dont let them sit in the run-off. I dont get run-off at all with blumats. I flush them every 12-14 days with a mild nutrient solution to wash away salts but with drip clean it doesnt seem to be that important after all.. anyway, it was my understanding powderly mildew attacked the leaves, my leaves have no sign of mold on them. could PM form just in the root zone and on the side of the pots?

A 20" floor fan might work.I run a couple 24/7
They help dry up the floor,and improve air flow.
unfortunaly I'm very tight on space, I'm running a mammoth lite which is 40cmx40cmx120cm (barely more than 1x1x3feet) I cannot mount a fan that big. I'll try with another vent in the root zone

Spray it with 3% H202 (hydrogen peroxide) mold will disappear and your roots will thank you for extra oxygen.
can you tell me how to make a 3% solution? is it like it seems? Do I just put 97%water and 3% H2O2

That's mildew .... very bad news

Flush though with Cannazyme and keep it up for the rest of the grow

Canna coco has some trichoderma in it, but that needs you to take control

That's the worst care of coco I've seen ever

If you're coco is that bad you have appalling ventilation and will get bud rot

Yeah its my first coco grow but I didnt look that bad to me. I've used cannazym at 2,5 ml/L through the whole grow.

anyway I didnt find much on the web about trichoderma (picture wise) the only one I found was this one:

http://www.cannabismagazine.es/digital/images/articulos2013/growland10/IMAGEN-3.jpg

which kinda looks like whats happening on this tiny root sprouting out of the pot in this pic:

picture.php

So are we sure is mildew? the plants are not perfect (I struggled a bit with balancing Ca and K cations) but I would expect some more visible problem on the plant itself when instead they grow fast and vigorously, the stems are strong and the leaves are well up and happy to take the light in.
forgive me if I insist, I'm a noob and I've never seen something like this before, but I would hate to kill off something beneficial..
thanks again to whoever ansered me and hopefully will again:headbange

Caligreen1

That little root shooting out is fine, the hairs on it are just more roots growing. I've never seen it but it does look like mold...what is your humidity at?

Onida

That little root shooting out is fine, the hairs on it are just more roots growing. I've never seen it but it does look like mold...what is your humidity at?

My RH is perfectly within the vpd optimal range. in the root zone is higher, 85% but today i've increased ventilation and put in a little dehumifier. now its around 60%.
It is some kind of mycelium but i cannot believe it is one of the bad ones since the current situation (this white fuzz on the pots and on the coco surface) has been going on for a month now and neither growth nor health has been negatevely affected.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
My RH is perfectly within the vpd optimal range. in the root zone is higher, 85% but today i've increased ventilation and put in a little dehumifier. now its around 60%.
It is some kind of mycelium but i cannot believe it is one of the bad ones since the current situation (this white fuzz on the pots and on the coco surface) has been going on for a month now and neither growth nor health has been negatevely affected.

Going on for months If nothing is affected n things r growing normal Fuk it worry bout other things. I would ditch the coco n pot after no use in looking for an issue finish the run n start over...

N

noyd666

looks like fuzzy mold on the side of pot, cut the pot open , have a look.if mold that bad I would turf it.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Close you blumat on arrow further, everything looks a bit too wet for me, as there are algae growing on your perlite just under the dropper.

good luck
CC

Onida

thanks everyone for the answer!
I closed the blumat for now, I'm gonna hand water them for a week or so to better control Humidity. I'll probably multifeed 3 times a day, I just need to find the right amount of solution for each time