What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homebrewing beer

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I used to home brew a lot, about 15 years ago. I became interested again recently and was shocked to see how much more expensive it is now. Once upon a time I could make really good extract based ales for about $2.50 a six pack. Not now.

The economics are not a real factor for me, but I know what you're saying is true. I only use malt extract for stepping yeast cultures up to pitch rate. In order to have it be 'economical' these days, you have to brew all grain (and have a good source for grain without paying a buck a pound) For me, it's more about the process than the product. That's not to say I don't enjoy my own product... but I brew a lot more than I drink. The quality of malt extracts these days is quite good compared to 30 years ago when I first started brewing.. Well, good luck to you and if I can help in any way, lemme know..

mgk :tiphat:

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
my old roomate & i used to brew back in the 90's - 10 gallon all grain batches - we developed relationships with local breweries so grain and yeast was cheap/free if we worked the bottle lines. i gained a bit of weight from brewing and , after experimenting with some exotic yeasts/bacillums, we developed an infection in the gear and eventually stopped. This same infection also infected that breweries entire 6 fermenters and wound up putting them out of business. sad.
You cant recover from losing over 100,000 gallons I guess.They had some really great and unique brews.

I used to love ipas and really hoppy beers, but as Ive gotten older, its just too strong for my tastes.

These days its a miller with maybe a lime and dash of salt and Im happy .

my buddy has expressed some interest in restarting but man , im already 40 lbs overweight...
I loved to brew , but i dont need the extra weight problems.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread is exactly what I was looking for. Seems there are quite a few folks that like the excellent cannabis & awesome beer combo.

I just got my brew kit and am acquiring other equipment as I go. Most will be coming with the ingredients I'm ordering from Seven Bridges out Santa Cruz. I prefer organic & these folks are certified so going that route.

I'll be ordering a Bock Ale "Easy Brew" beginners kit for my first beer.

Does anybody know of any other certified organic suppliers?

Grains no problem... I live in wheat country & already have a 50# sack of seed rye from a former spirit maker.

What about using wild hops?
There are a few vines at the river that I can harvest some cones from, maybe some rhizomes.

Happy brewing Yall!

Homebrewer

Veteran
This thread is exactly what I was looking for. Seems there are quite a few folks that like the excellent cannabis & awesome beer combo.

I just got my brew kit and am acquiring other equipment as I go. Most will be coming with the ingredients I'm ordering from Seven Bridges out Santa Cruz. I prefer organic & these folks are certified so going that route.

I'll be ordering a Bock Ale "Easy Brew" beginners kit for my first beer.

Does anybody know of any other certified organic suppliers?

Grains no problem... I live in wheat country & already have a 50# sack of seed rye from a former spirit maker.

What about using wild hops?
There are a few vines at the river that I can harvest some cones from, maybe some rhizomes.

Happy brewing Yall!

Unless you know the exact variety, using wild hops is going to be a crap-shoot as you wont know the alpha acid content or whether said hop is better suited for bittering or aroma. Some hops are good for both, some aren't. Why take the chance when hops are less than $2/ounce?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Well this fall I will be brewing the largest batches I have ever attempted. A farmer friend is growing 4 acres of two row and I have hops going, looking to do a 150 gallon batches. Stock up for winter. Will be doing one of my sesh pales and my double dark chocolate porter, which my friends consume in incredible quantities lol.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unless you know the exact variety, using wild hops is going to be a crap-shoot as you wont know the alpha acid content or whether said hop is better suited for bittering or aroma. Some hops are good for both, some aren't. Why take the chance when hops are less than $2/ounce?

Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe after I get a few brews under my belt I'll experiment.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Any food testing lab can test your hops for alpha acids/ bitterness. A small five gallon test batch is usually the way I go. Any wild hops I have found are similar to Hallertau, or east Kent Golding's. Pretty balanced and mild, usually use three times the amount of packaged cultivated hops to start.

mrmop

Can't beat homebrewing! I setup a kegerator from a chest freezer, mm the homebrews never tasted as good! "Hearty Fall Amber" on tap now.

hellfire

Well lookie here. I was wondering if there was a brewing thread on here. Resurrection...

I do 15 gallon batches and have 9 5gal kegs. I brew IPAs, stouts and porters mainly.

What kind of hops does IC like?

Currently digging on citra and mosaic. There's a lot of hops out there that remind me of some good smoke, dank and raunchy.