What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PSA re: Heating Energy Costs

OldCoolSativa

PSA as we come into the cold-weather indoor growing season. Look at your energy costs. It's simple, look at your latest electric bill and take the total amount you paid and divide by the # of kWh you were charged for to get $/kWh. If you pay separately for generation and delivery add them both. Do the same for your gas bill, if you have gas heat. If you have oil heat get find out what you're paying in $/gal. Then plug those numbers into the Heating Fuel Comparison Calculator you can download here. If you would post your rates and results in this thread it would be useful, as I'm trying to collect data.

I haven't done this exercise in a while and was shocked to find that at $.22/kWh and $1.99/gal for fuel oil, I'm paying $65/MBtu for electric heat and $$17/MBtu for fuel oil heat. For me, ELECTRIC HEAT IS 4X HIGHER!!

Ncali

Veteran
For many reasons that will continue to be the case for most regions in the U.S. and maybe even globally. Hydrocarbon based fuels require less infrastructure to store long term, and additionally are the genesis for a large portion of electric energy generated here in the US...

It winter try and reuse that warm, filtered oxygenated air into your house. And send that house full of CO2 into the growroom.