What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fruits from the wild: Breeding with pure sativas Mextiza and Ghana

Carraxe

Veteran
Pictures from the Ghana seedlings

Pictures from the Ghana seedlings

There they are. Not many of them, I planted 30 12 days ago but just 17 sprouted, last two sprouted today.

There will be males and females enough.

Cheers

Dog Star

Veteran
Love a thread Carraxe,

also growing Mextiza and i have one male on flowering.. wish to grow F2 cause
you and others claim its a happy stone,that is what i searching for..

now after i sees those Philos explanation i undeerstand why male smell so skunky..

Kind regards,will stay tuned..

Carraxe

Veteran
I've a lot of little plants in my tent. The Mextizas are the girls in the background. There are some more, anywhere between my mother plants. Ghana are the plants in the foreground. They will spend a time under that 400W.

Since Mextiza has proven to carry all inbreeding problems related with her mother, Oaxaca '79, I hope this work I'm doing will help to reduce endogamy. But I don't even know if it is possible. I was thinking about an open pollination to reduce endogamy. All the other options I think about (like selecting and backcrossing to best Mextiza specimens) produce more endogamy.

An open pollination would also force to some extra generations of crossing and selection and then more inbreeding.

Some ideas? I think I'm going to sprout some seeds I have from different landrace sativas, to keep the gene pool growing.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
I think I'm going to sprout some seeds I have from different landrace sativas, to keep the gene pool growing.

I would probably do that. Pick a few other oaxacan or closest mexican lines and mix them all for open pollination, then select a few good individuals from F1s and backcross to mextiza, one or more generations.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I have just planted some Destroyer from a repro a friend made a couple of years ago. I also planted some Senegal Black and Senegal Angola, gifted by another friend. About 40 seeds in total, plus the 18 Ghana plants I have. And another batch of Mextizas.

I'm going to receive some selected Lilly as well.

I hope I'll have enough nice sativa specimens to cross with my Mextiza males and females. The plan is now to cross F1s and next year backcross to different Mextiza selected males and females, or just go with the F2 depending with the results of the F1. Probably some characteristics are going to transmit easily, but probably not that 9-week-maturing thing at the beginning. I don't mind about the origin of the weed, if I had more Mexicans I'd cross them as well, but since I have a lot of Africans I'll use them. I mind more about the effect and these are about the best and don't need 20 weeks like Hazes.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I had to cut them immature because of the spider mites, at 14 weeks I think. I have some pictures in the Ghana thread from CBG. But I got nice looking plants with resin and smell. I waited too much to smoke them, they were over cured and the bud was white like hay, so my experience wasn't specially positive. I expect to make things better this time.

Anyway, I didn't expect a strong high from this one, but more like a mild happyness feeling. That's what usually happens with sativa landraces. I expect stronger effect and resin after crossing them, due to hybrid vigor. And also due to the intoxicating high from the Mextiza.

Cheers

OnceUpon

i think you are right to try as many outcrosses as you can, hoping to find something that keeps the mextiza character you like.

then, later....if you do go decide to cross that back to mextiza .i would suggest you find a mextiza individual or hybrid that is from a different population that the one you are curremntly working with

i liked the suggestion of finding other mexican and south american varieties to work in, that is if your africans are working how you like

you got me excited!

Carraxe

Veteran
I have some pictures, and some questions.
Mextizas show quite a lot of mutant grow, so I'll have to cull a good amount. I don't think that it makes sense to do F2, I have to try to dilute genetic defects, and see if it works.

I've also seen a rare edge curling in some Ghana plants. Is that a genetic defect due to inbreeding too? This is the first repro I've made with them, so they would be already very inbreeded when I bought them.

I am really interested in the F1, if it keeps carrying many defects probably the lines are going to be over. Both of them.

I planted a ton of sativa strains' seeds, but I know that only a little amount will do it. Most of that is Mextiza anyway.

Cheers

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The leaf curl seem to be something related to the enviroment or growing conditions, I'm often having a few plants or clones doing that from time to time and not always the same ones. Never knew the reason why tho. But some seem to be more sensitive than others.

As for the Ghana being inbred I'm pretty sure that's not the issue, they were imported from Ghana by a friend from the Vibes Collective called Flying Lion as bagseeds, who first reproduced that P1 generation and sold a bunch to Charlie Garcia from CBG. He got interested on distributing those under their brand in a similar way they did with the South Africans from PTG, Durban from African Herbman or the Mexicans from Sinaloa that they have been offering in the past.

I'm sure you will need to search for potent and nice compact and faster phenos within the Ghanas. They are still pretty much wild and untamed. With this kind of lines it's more like try to find out if they have any potential high and terpene wise. Potency and better growing qualities may come with breeding and selection IMO.

Good luck with those projects!

Carraxe

Veteran
Nice to know about that. Sometimes it is difficult to guess how many generations have the plants been out of their environment.

I wasn't very lucky with this strain, just a couple of females, and I couldn't make a complete impression of what I can reach. Let's see through F2.

That's the first time I see a curling like that. Well, not really. The first generation had some of that already, but it didn't keep happening, the plants were OK and it didn't matter. Have you got some pictures of that in other plants?

Cheers

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your soil is too rich for those seedlings or you give them too strong liquid fert. Those burns we can see on your others seedlings are typical and the leaf curl too.

Carraxe

Veteran
Soil is clean coco, feeding is half strenght max, and the burns in other seedlings have a different origin. This is the not leaf curling for overfeeding, have you ever seen it?

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Half strenght may be too much, landrace generally needs low ec ( 1.3 max in full flower, ec from the water included). Try 1/4 the strenght then go up if plants respond well... or even better, buy a ec meter and see for yourself how much they need.

Carraxe

Veteran
Half strenght may be too much, landrace generally needs low ec ( 1.3 max in full flower, ec from the water included). Try 1/4 the strenght then go up if plants respond well... or even better, buy a ec meter and see for yourself how much they need.

I insist, the spots you see, they are in different plants and they have a different origin. These are not the Ghana plants. And these spots are not from overfeeding, I just told you. I know why they appeared, but they are not the subject here.

If you have an explanation for the curling in the Ghana leaves, it would be nice to hear it. But I know it is not overfeeding, since there isn't any sign of overfeeding in any of the pictures. I have already grown these plants and I know how to feed them.

What I doubt is that you have ever seen overfeeding.

Look in the search bar and make a search for pictures of overfed plants.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Why the attittude? Trying to help you there...:no::frown:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

Look at the middle of post seven.

Yes, I understand you try to help.

I know I can be a little unfriendly sometimes, but don't take it personally. This curling subject thing is just curiosity, it doesn't affect plant growth. It doesn't have any relation with nutrients, and it is probably a consequence of ambience conditions. The interesting thing is that it is difficult to find strains showing it. I'd love to see some pictures of similar curling.

Thanks a lot for your contribution
cheers

Last edited:

Siever

Veteran
Mustafunk might be right when he says it could be some environmental thing?
Perhaps you should look at temperature air humidity and most probably some other things?
Look for other plant seedlings which do the same thing with their leaves.
These are just propositions, as I don't know either what it could be.

kind regards

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Okay, no problem. :)

Last time i had this happen to some of my plants, they were planted in very hot soil. Relative humidity was low ( 20%) but it had little impact on the plant (they were indica, adapted to dry air conditions). As soon as i flushed the soil the issue disappeared while the RH remained as low as before.

Since then i use less hot/strong soil and never had this issue anymore.

That's just my experience...

Good luck with your project.

Latest posts

Latest posts