What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with pest ID pics?

gettogro

Veteran
Hi, I have been battling these little bugs. I thought they were thrips larvae and treated them with Monterays spinosad spray. After a couple treatments they are still alive and kicking. Now after a closer look I think they are too small to be thrips, I cant seem to ID them in any of the online bug threads or pics. Usually with this usb microscope I can tell what they are pretty clearly but I cant tell. Maybe someone here could give me a positive ID help?

I just hit them with azamax to see if that will kill them but it would be nice to know what Im fighting.
They look like they might be whitefly larvae but I dont know. I can't find any bugs further along in the life cycle to get a better ID. nothing flying around in the garden and these are not visible by the naked eye.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

palmeezy

have you had yield/potency issues? take in
any new cuts recently?

btw all of your posts back when were a great inspiration to me. thanks a bunch.

PDX Dopesmoker

thanks guys,
Russet mites indeed.
Treatment underway

If you wouldn't mind telling us what you do and how it works out it would be valued information. I've tried all sorts of stuff so far and haven't found the magic bullet yet, this is my 2nd summer season with them and I've only been able to keep them at bay and under control, but if I stop spraying for 3 days then they come back in full force.
I sprayed acephate on a male over the weekend to see how that works.
The only bright sign I've found is that apparently once plants start producing resin they seem to become more resistant to the mites. I've had autos in flower and haven't put spray on them for a month and they got no problems showing.

z00t

russet mites or fruit flies or root aphids
i battled them for a whole year! after 13 years of growing in soil i switched to dwc hydro.
i used hardcore pesticides and insecticidal soap they kept coming back. switch to hydro its the way to go for indoors once u get an infestation its very hard to get rid off
good luck :tiphat:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi, I have been battling these little bugs. I thought they were thrips larvae and treated them with Monterays spinosad spray. After a couple treatments they are still alive and kicking. Now after a closer look I think they are too small to be thrips, I cant seem to ID them in any of the online bug threads or pics. Usually with this usb microscope I can tell what they are pretty clearly but I cant tell. Maybe someone here could give me a positive ID help?

I just hit them with azamax to see if that will kill them but it would be nice to know what Im fighting.
They look like they might be whitefly larvae but I dont know. I can't find any bugs further along in the life cycle to get a better ID. nothing flying around in the garden and these are not visible by the naked eye.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75302&pictureid=1872295&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75302&pictureid=1872294&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75302&pictureid=1872293&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75302&pictureid=1872292&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75302&pictureid=1872291&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Close up, they don't look so fiersome. :)

Check out my all purpose insect killing spray - organically approved, although not completely organic:

- neem oil (as directed)
- liquid dish soap (Castille if you can get it/make it, just enough to dissolve the neem oil into water)
- pyrethrin (10 drops to a quart)

This combination will: dessicate any soft bodied insects and larvae; suffocate them with oil; paralyze their nervous system; and the ones that survive find that the neem is an anti-feedant that fills their stomachs with bubblegum, so they stop eating.

The Pyrethrin is naturally derived from chrysanthemums, and breaks down into innocuous substances in 7 days.

I grow outdoors, with lots of organic material for insects to be distracted by. I rarely used this spray, and this year haven't sprayed anything at all - just manually removed insects from the plants. As long as the plants keep growing, I'm not doing anything. However I've had them all - spider mites, thrips, aphids, caterpillars, mildew.

Outdoors, they just fade away when the weather changes. Right now I have an ant explosion, however they're not bothering the plants.

I've planted some small flower plants and they attract hover flies, wasps, bees, which have pretty voracious insect killing larvae themselves. So maybe that's helping a littte too. And there are lots of spiders.

And, I'm growing in pots with a water reservoir, a grid to keep everything out of the reservoir, growrocks on top of the grid, then supersoil, light soil, and mulch of hemp bedding. Under the mulch I place a sliced banana and oat flakes, maybe once every 2 weeks to a month, to feed the fungi in the soil and the plant, more than just the sugars they get from the plant's roots. Fungi want to be fed carbon and calories.

When fungi grow throughout the plant (endophytes or endophytic fungi), they also act as an anti-feedant to insects, and they produce penicillin which slows mildew, botrytis, etc.

PDX Dopesmoker

Close up, they don't look so fiersome. :)

Check out my all purpose insect killing spray - organically approved, although not completely organic:

- neem oil (as directed)
- liquid dish soap (Castille if you can get it/make it, just enough to dissolve the neem oil into water)
- pyrethrin (10 drops to a quart)

This combination will: dessicate any soft bodied insects and larvae; suffocate them with oil; paralyze their nervous system; and the ones that survive find that the neem is an anti-feedant that fills their stomachs with bubblegum, so they stop eating.

The Pyrethrin is naturally derived from chrysanthemums, and breaks down into innocuous substances in 7 days.

I grow outdoors, with lots of organic material for insects to be distracted by. I rarely used this spray, and this year haven't sprayed anything at all - just manually removed insects from the plants. As long as the plants keep growing, I'm not doing anything. However I've had them all - spider mites, thrips, aphids, caterpillars, mildew.

Outdoors, they just fade away when the weather changes. Right now I have an ant explosion, however they're not bothering the plants.

I've planted some small flower plants and they attract hover flies, wasps, bees, which have pretty voracious insect killing larvae themselves. So maybe that's helping a littte too. And there are lots of spiders.

And, I'm growing in pots with a water reservoir, a grid to keep everything out of the reservoir, growrocks on top of the grid, then supersoil, light soil, and mulch of hemp bedding. Under the mulch I place a sliced banana and oat flakes, maybe once every 2 weeks to a month, to feed the fungi in the soil and the plant, more than just the sugars they get from the plant's roots. Fungi want to be fed carbon and calories.

When fungi grow throughout the plant (endophytes or endophytic fungi), they also act as an anti-feedant to insects, and they produce penicillin which slows mildew, botrytis, etc.

You've got a hell of a tuned in setup, sounds like you treat your girls like real queens, I bet the smoke is kick-ass stuff. I dust my sprouts with a mix that includes spores of a few key symbiotic fungal species, but I never thought to feed the fungus afterwards until I just read your post. Thanks for mentioning that.