What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tiny bugs in soil

Hi

I watered a few plants that I have in veg last night, and noticed these tiny little bugs, they almost look like white or silver fleas, crawling around in the soil. It only appears to be a select few of the pots that have them, I have about ten pots up in the air on a closet rack

They haven’t caused any damage that I can tell. I believe they are fairly new. I had a little problem with fungus gnats and I got rid of over 90% of them over the last few weeks, and I was checking the soil periodically to see if I noticed another uptick of gnat larvae, that’s when I discovered these bugs

I believe they came from a pack of chicken manure I purchased. They store the manure outdoors at the place I got it from

Should I be worried because to be honest with you guys, I am scared shitless right now, mainly cuz Idk what they are. They don’t fly. They are too tiny to take a pic of I tried

I think it’s a spring tail based off looking through pics online these things move so fast tho. They move way faster than the gnat larvae or maybe I’m just losing it lol, but I have been trying to get like a good definitely look at the bugs it’s loke really hard and all I can say is that they are whitish/gray and have more than two legs and have a kind of a long shaped body, but once again they are tiny. I see that springtails are harmless but is there a way I can tell for sure or should I kill them, should I wait until I see plant damage?

Attachments

• CE0A5DA2-E605-47EE-A9E2-9A6FE9467641.jpeg
    CE0A5DA2-E605-47EE-A9E2-9A6FE9467641.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 24

thailer

If you are also checking for fungus gnat larva and you have springtails, I would examine your watering schedule because both of these critters show up when people overwater. The plant roots start to die off and these bugs decompose the dead roots. Once you stop overwatering, the roots are healthy and they disappear. I’ve had soil mites in my pots and once I backed off on the water, they went away. I’m told springtails work the same way.

If you are also checking for fungus gnat larva and you have springtails, I would examine your watering schedule because both of these critters show up when people overwater. The plant roots start to die off and these bugs decompose the dead roots. Once you stop overwatering, the roots are healthy and they disappear. I’ve had soil mites in my pots and once I backed off on the water, they went away. I’m told springtails work the same way.

That overwatering thing is exactly what I suspected. Like I said it’s only those pots in the air they are smaller pots I knew they are more moist than my larger 3 gal on the floor thank you.

I keep looking and idk I really think these things are really mites. Like idk it looks like the flea looking things that I mentioned, and it also looks like mites too they really look smaller than the fleas and look more like dots then having a long body

thailer

I keep looking and idk I really think these things are really mites. Like idk it looks like the flea looking things that I mentioned, and it also looks like mites too they really look smaller than the fleas and look more like dots then having a long body

i found some videos on youtube that show what you what to look for to identify them.

typical soil mites you may see due to overwatering

[YOUTUBEIF]https://youtu.be/9SLMT9DOgdY[/YOUTUBEIF]

springtails

[YOUTUBEIF]https://youtu.be/3VIJrq_IRRM[/YOUTUBEIF]

But they aren’t in the leaves only in the soil I keep checking the leaves expecting to see something

yeah they don't eat healthy plant leaves or roots. just roots that are dying from over watering. you know when you pop off the container and the roots are brown instead of white plump growth circling the bottom of the container. sometimes i do see the mites run up the plant but they just run around and back down again. i've never had springtails. just the little white mites.

It won’t let me see vids for some reason but since they aren’t fucking the plants up I will just work on watering better. Thank u for the help.