What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can we please make a Sticky for Powdery Mildew, Bud Rot, etc...

superpedro

Veteran
Finished my small test run.
UV-Cap.jpg

The bud subjected to UV-C treatments has been harvested, no visual damage :)
uvf.jpg

One thing though, and this is important!! UV-C permanently damages your eyes, even with relative small exposures! IMO Only safe long term solution is to hang/place the bulb(s) in your cab/room, and activate it from outside.

I find the cheapest UV-C bulbs in shops dealing with garden pond equipment, and they sell low wattage bulbs that fits in cheap office desk lamps.
It is being proved more effective than any chemical or biological protection against mold and mildew in the trials so far.
I'll return once I get time to translate some of the original information. :)

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
i was listening to Gardeners Question Time (GQT) on R4 a couple of years ago and when discussing PM they mentioned someting that i've never come across on forums-an overly dry medium will promote PM. At the time i knew a kiddie who had the worst PM i've ever seen AND he was giving his plants about 1/4 of the water that they required-i think there might be someting to this.

On a personal note i've just started growing ina damp mouldy shit hole and just noticed the beginnings on some plants so am going to hit the place with some horticultural WMD-bummer

eddieS

moonie

I dont use any chemical if at all possible. I've had tiny little spots here and there for this current grow so about every 4 days I fill up a 32 oz spray bottle with water, add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, and a tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice, not concentrate. And I spray the affected areas and viola! no more PM. Its to acidic for PM to live.

growfosho1

Got Milk? Is it really The Cure for Powdery Mildew

Got Milk? Is it really The Cure for Powdery Mildew

i have PM in now i am going to spray my plants with 10% milk and 90 % wather i found this info on this forum plants are in 6.th week of flowering

Well, did it work? I read somewhere that some scientist in another country discovered that applying 10% milk and 90 % water:artist:, actually CURED Pwdery Mildew.. I really would love to know if this is true before using this method. So Does MILK Really Work??
:smokeit:

Lemon Juice & Acidic?

Lemon Juice & Acidic?

I dont use any chemical if at all possible. I've had tiny little spots here and there for this current grow so about every 4 days I fill up a 32 oz spray bottle with water, add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, and a tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice, not concentrate. And I spray the affected areas and viola! no more PM. Its to acidic for PM to live.

I dont get it moonie. Most of the evidence I have read indicates an alkaline pH on the leaves is the most beneficial to preventing/reducing/eliminating powdery mildew. I was with you till you said the lemon juice. I think the lemon juice should cancel out the baking soda and end with a near nuetral pH depending upon the concentrations mixed - it wont be high alkaline thats for sure. Then you said it is "too acidic" for the PM to live. I am just trying to get a handle on why your mix works (not saying it doesnt) when in my opinion it doesnt quite add up to having what is required to treat PM.

You mention it coming back "about every 4 days". This doesnt seem to me like it is effective at all, are you sure you arent just rinsing off the hyphae(?) - the visible mycellium on the leaf, without really doing anything long term to the PM?

ButterCup

Hey guys,

I am very frustrated with PM, I had it my last grow, and it struck back in my second grow. I really don't want to want to end up cutting off buds due to PM.

I have tons of airflow, and I don't have space in my setup to add a heater or dehumidifier.

At the moment I am exactly at the six week mark (day 42). I plan on taking my plants to day 70.

Is it too late to vaporize sulfur.

I read of people saying don't do it after 4 weeks. Then I also hear others say they run it up to the last week with no problems.

I am really confused and frustrated with this matter. Any input would be appreciated.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I would go with "Greencure" or baking soda. You can also spray them with skim milk/water mixture. 10 parts water/one part milk. Spray once a week. It works. I would not mess with sulfur at this point.

bterzz

Veteran
Quick question about Powdery Mildew--

I stuffed about 60 clones in 1 dome...they got some PM before they even rooted.

They are in the veg room. Some have some spots of PM, but very hard to see considering I trimmed off anything with PM --

I looked at my outdoor gardening sprays --- I have a "SureFire - 3 in 1 garden spray"

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/garden-spray.html

Can be applied directly to fruits and vegetables right up to the day before harvest. OMRI Listed for use in organic production.

Controls powdery mildew, black spot, leaf spot, and rust. Kills aphids, beetles (leaf-feeding), caterpillars (leaf-feeding), crickets, earwigs, lace bugs, leafhoppers, mealybugs, mites, plant bugs, immature scale, thrips, and whiteflies

------

Meaning it CONTROLS PM, not KILLS it.

Can I spray them to control it for now, and find something that will kill it ASAP?

I want to spray them now so it does not spread.

RetroGrow

Veteran
The key is to get on it right away and stay on it. Lots of things will control it, but it comes back. Supposedly, meltatox will kill it, but is not available in the U.S .You can get it in Canada or Mexico.

B

Bud Bug

The key is to get on it right away and stay on it. Lots of things will control it, but it comes back. Supposedly, meltatox will kill it, but is not available in the U.S .You can get it in Canada or Mexico.

Problem with Meltatox is its really toxic to humans and it can stress the plants. If you can get it try Nova powder.

Stumbleweed

So I had been noticing tiny spots on my Godbud plant (mostly in the lower leaves, many of which I plucked off), but I checked today and there are spots on my Juliet as well as my Strawberry Cough... they're small but they seemingly came out of nowhere sometime today, as there weren't any spots on the other plants until I checked them tonight after work.

Should I just try the milk/water solution and hope it stays at bay? I'm in week 3 of flower and they will likely go 8-9 weeks... I really don't want to use any more chemicals (I was using Neem and Safer soap for my mite issues but won't use that anymore), but I also don't want my whole crop lost due to this crap. Any suggestions beyond the milk/water or milk/baking soda spraying?

Meds215

stumbleweed im fighting the same problem with my grow ive had it off and on just little tiny spots since week 1 from clone on atleast half of my plants.
man i used serenade last night and i can still see some so i dont know
that stuff really stinks too probly will not use it anymore cant be good for me to inhale
i soaked them in that stuff too
i think i am gonna break down and buy a sulfur burner since i am only 2 days in flower i think i will be ok
but i used neem oil 2 weeks ago so i think will wait until week 4 of flower what do you guys think?

theunseen

killing PM on harvested buds?

killing PM on harvested buds?

I noticed PM shortly before I harvested my plants a few weeks ago - unfortunately too late to do anything about it. The problem isn't the worst I've seen, and the parts that don't have PM look great, but I certainly don't want to get myself or anyone else sick from smoking. The buds are now dry and curing. Is there any way to clean up the afflicted areas other than just trimming those parts off? Will any of the aforementioned solutions be effective after harvest? Ideas?

grapeman

Veteran

And his knowledge about PM is laughable. You can never KILL mildew totally, it is in the air via spores always looking for a place to land and live. He claimed that it lives, and is systemic within the plant, which is BS. It feeds off the plant.
When I pointed out to chimera that he was spreading false information I was deleted from his thread.

What you can do is take intelligent preventative steps.
Cleanliness is a must.
humidity and outside air are always a concern.

It all adds up to what we call "pressure". If your experience, in your room or area is that you have high pressure, I would use a product that is specifically targets to killing and preventing mildew. If you have low pressure, you may get by with these safe omri listed products that are much less effective.

Even though I grow indoors, I monitor my roses outdoors, since I bring in outside air to my plants. When I see mildew on my roses, I know conditions are right and there are trillions of spores about, and I need to be vigilant. Since i keep my room clean, and never introduce infected plants into my room, I am mostly concerned about outside influences.

soap and water kills mildew and their spores in low pressure situations. for high pressure situations I use Licensed Ag Products that all have about 18 to 21 days worth of protection. But even these will fail if your room is a breeding ground for mildew.

Retro is right. meltatox is good. Eagle, elite, bayleton rally and many others are good. and they should all be used in rotation.

Stumbleweed

Dammit, my problem has gotten worse.. I think I may have to chop my Godbud very soon and might chop the others as well, even though they're not nearly as bad. I just don't want them to get it as bad as the GB, which is getting covered in many bud areas (especially those under larger leaves). I heard someone suggest hydrogen peroxide at 20% to kill it right before harvest... What about GreenCure? I just want to get rid of as much of it as possible and salvage some of my harvest. The Cough and the Juliet have tiny spots and most of the main buds are totally free of it, but I'm just really paranoid about them getting it bad too in the last 2-3 weeks before they're done.

All except the GB have some cloudy and amber heads (ambers mostly on smaller trichs, the tall glandular trichs are clear-cloudy), so it won't be that much of a loss to pull them next week or something. I'm thinking of GreenCure as a solution for them and just nailing the Godbud with peroxide and maybe GreenCure also a day before cutting her down to get nuclear on the shit and hope it'll disappear as it's drying or something. What do you guys think, am I hosed?

MeJuana

Sure fire cure for PM reproduction on leafs

Sure fire cure for PM reproduction on leafs

There's a sure fire cure for the reproduction of Powdery Mildew on your leafs, run your room at 90F... I haven't done the leg work to figure out dirt yet and frankly this is all theory stage I am still buying shit... But hydro/aero is easy, keep your res at 60-65F and your room at 90F and you C02 at 1500PPM. (Dirt you should need nothing, just C02 and heat right??) Powdery Mildew should not be able to form on the leafs at 90F or more.

Now I am certainly no expert, and you should verify the numbers as in the survivability of your plants but I am thinking I can get at least 85F on plants I am growing with C02 without them even blinking and 90F should be possible with C02. (Even at 85F PM would struggle hard, PM like around 70F I believe)

Now two birds with one stoner, 60F-65F water temperature, a chiller will be needed here, is perfect to prevent fungi in the water, powdery mildew can not form on the leafs at 90F. Now the real kicker is... If you live where it is hot and you are cooling the room to the perfect temperature for Powdery Mildew to exist about 70F, that sucks you need C02!! But either way you chalk it up, you can use your lights hood air on a thermo to heat up your room even if you need to, you get 30-100% more yield from C02 supposedly and PM is f(ked out if it's share of your meds

Edit:
Here's some ideas I was throwing around with Cheap Hydroponics for equipment, the CHHC-4 is new I forgot the price... Call them for that or get it from where ever you do.. The original email had CHHC-1, but that is discontinued now. My setup has 2 x 20 gallons reservoirs, a separate res for the chiller a pump each to circulate the water between the chiller reservoir and the coils in each plant reservoir to cool them to 65F or 60F if some miracle I can hold that. Coils on ebay, everything else buy in one lump sum for a discount.

> CHHC-4 - (About 600 I think, it is new call him)
> Co2 Gen Propane GEN1 - $330 (pilot light) or $400 for the electronic ignition model
> ActiveAqua 1/4 Chiller - $410
> Durapump 600GPH (for chiller)- $31.50
>

Last edited: